University of Aberdeen2015 League Table Ranking 44
2015 Overall Score 696
View the 2015 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Scotland's third oldest university, founded in 1495.
- First chair of medicine in the English-speaking world.
- Five Nobel prizes have been awarded for work begun or carried out at Aberdeen.
Location and Transport
- Aberdeen is an attractive, cosmopolitan city of 220,000, with first-class sport and leisure facilities, and a vibrant nightlife.
- There is easy access to nearby hills and countryside. Aberdeen itself has miles of golden sandy beaches.
- Communication and travel links are excellent.
- Full details of entry requirements can be found in Aberdeen's online prospectus.
- A student population of around 16,000.
- One hundre and twenty nationalities are represented in the student body.
- Male to female ratio of 46:54.
- As a result of an extensive review of the curriculum, since 2010 undergraduate students at Aberdeen have a more flexible degree structure which retains all the quality and depth of the traditional Scottish degree and adds further benefits.
- Opportunities to choose new cross-disciplinary courses focused on real world problems or sustained study in a language or business.
- Increased opportunities to broaden experience and skills through a wide range of optional activities overseen by the University, such as study overseas, work placements and voluntary work.
- Over 550 first degree programmes on offer across three colleges. Students are encouraged to tailor-make their degree programme to suit their interests and ambitions, and every student has an academic adviser to provide guidance.
- Eighty-nine % of subjects rated excellent/highly satisfactory.
- The University has been praised by the UK Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education for the quality of relationships between students and staff.
- Aberdeen has a long and distinguished research pedigree.
- In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), 89% of the University's research was rated as of international quality, and 50% internationally excellent or world-leading.
- More than 500 years of academic excellence.
- Within the three colleges of Arts and Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Life Sciences and Medicine, many degree programmes have been rated either the best in Scotland or in the top ten in the UK by numerous league tables.
- Particular strengths lie in the university's founding disciplines of Arts and Humanities, Engineering, Medicine, Education, Divinity and Law.
- In August 2009, the University, in partnership with the local city council and Sport Scotland, opened Aberdeen Sports Village, a modern, vibrant Olympic-standard facility which provides a variety of sports for all. Facilities include a full-sized indoor Fifa approved football pitch.
- The Hub student centre, opened in 2006, with dining and retail outlets, an internet cafè and drop-in information centres.
- The University’s main library, the Sir Duncan Rice Library, a £57-million development, opened in September 2011 and contains over a million books, more than 300,000 e-books and over 21,000 journals, with wireless network access across campus from 2014. All students receive free internet and email.
- Visit the website to find out about disability services at the University of Aberdeen.
- Telephone +44 (0)1224 273935, fax +44 (0)1224 273569, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the website to discover more about the Aberdeen University Students' Association and the 150 student societies.
- New £24.5-million sports facility, Aberdeen Sports Village, opened in 2009.
- £22-million Aquatics Centre, due to open early in 2104 and will include a 10-lane 50-metre pool and a 25-metre pool complete with full international standard diving facilities.
- Over 50 sports clubs on offer for the amateur novice or professional athlete.
- There are a number of sports bursaries available.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- Currently under construction, the £18.2-million Aquatics Centre, the second phase of Aberdeen Sports Village, will open late spring 2014.
- Facilities will include an Olympic-standard 50m, 10-lane swimming pool, diving pool with springboards and diving platforms using the latest technology in cushioning systems, and spectator seating for 600.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Plenty of part-time work available. The Students' Association runs a Joblink service, which advertises vacancies specifically for students.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.