University of Aberdeen2015 League Table Ranking 44
2015 Overall Score 696
View the 2015 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Scotland's third oldest university, founded in 1495.
- First chair of medicine in the English-speaking world.
- Five Nobel prizes have been awarded for work begun or carried out at Aberdeen.
Location and Transport
- Aberdeen is a vibrant, creative and ambitious city, famous for its historic charm, a thriving economy and cosmopolitan community.
- Voted Scotland’s safest University City.
- The city is big enough to give the big city feel, but small enough for you to easily find your way around and make friends.
- Based in the heart of one of the most beautiful regions of the UK, Aberdeen has something for everyone – our location means you can find yourself travelling from the busy city centre of Europe’s Energy Capital to awe-inspiring countryside and coastlines in no time at all.
- Communication and travel links are excellent: With global air, rail and road connections, Aberdeen is easily reachable from anywhere in the UK within an hour and a half. Local transport services offer a reliable and regular service throughout Aberdeen and surrounding areas.
- Full details of entry requirements can be found in Aberdeen's online prospectus.
- A student population of around 14,500.
- 120 nationalities are represented in the student body.
- Male to female ratio of 46:54.
- As a result of an extensive review of the curriculum, since 2010 undergraduate students at Aberdeen have a more flexible degree structure which retains all the quality and depth of the traditional Scottish degree and adds further benefits.
- The University provides the opportunity to choose new cross-disciplinary courses focused on real world problems or sustained study in a language or business.
- There are now even more opportunities to broaden your experience and skills through a wide range of optional activities overseen by the University, such as study overseas, work placements and voluntary work.
- The University provides over 550 first degree programmes on offer across three colleges. Students are encouraged to tailor-make their degree programme to suit their interests and ambitions, and every student has an academic adviser to provide guidance.
- 89% of subjects rated excellent/highly satisfactory.
- Scotland’s top Medical School.
- The University has been praised by the UK Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education for the quality of relationships between students and staff.
- Aberdeen has a long and distinguished research history
- The University has a leading track record in pioneering discoveries which have changed the way people think, work and learn throughout the world in the fields of medicine, science and humanities.
- 90% of our research has been judged as being of international quality and over half of this has been classed as world leading or internationally excellent.
- More than 500 years of academic excellence.
- Within the three colleges of Arts and Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Life Sciences and Medicine, many degree programmes have been rated either the best in Scotland or in the top ten in the UK by numerous league tables.
- Particular strengths lie in the university's founding disciplines of Arts and Humanities, Engineering, Medicine, Education, Divinity and Law.
- The University's brand new Aquatics Centre opened to the public in May 2014. This Olympic Standard centre provides the area’s first 50m training and competition pool and separate diving pool. The facility is set to host various national and international competitions, and has already hosted the 2014 Commonwealth Games Water Polo Championships.
- The University’s main library – The Sit Duncan Rice Library – contains over a million volumes, over 300,000 e-books and over 21,000 journals. The library also hosts a series of events, presentations and exhibitions throughout the year.
- The University has one of the largest WiFi campuses in Europe.
- Visit the website to find out about disability services at the University of Aberdeen.
- Telephone +44 (0)1224 273935, fax +44 (0)1224 273569, or email email@example.com.
- Visit the website to discover more about the Aberdeen University Students' Association and the 150 student societies.
- The Aberdeen Sports Village (ASV) is one of the leading sports facilities in the North East of Scotland. It is open to students, staff and the public with facilities for athletics, football, swimming, hockey, squash, martial arts and boxing.
- The Sports Village provides access to a 400m running track, a huge sports hall (equivalent to 9 badminton courts), a full-sized indoor football pitch, an indoor athletics area, a hockey pitch, squash courts, a state of the art fitness suite, various exercise studios, a performance and wellbeing centre, café and crèche
- Additional services provided at the ASV include chiropractic, physiotherapy and sports massage clinics, among others.
- £22-million Aquatics Centre which features a 10-lane 50-metre pool and a 25-metre pool complete with full international standard diving facilities.
- Over 50 sports clubs on offer for the amateur novice or professional athlete.
- There are a number of sports bursaries available.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Plenty of part-time work available. The Students' Association runs a Joblink service, which advertises vacancies specifically for students.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.