Abertay University2016 League Table Ranking 95
2016 Overall Score 535
View the 2016 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Founded 1888 as Dundee Technical Institute.
- Described by the Scottish Office in 1902 as one of the nation's 'industrial universities'.
- Granted the right to use the formal title of University of Abertay Dundee in 1994.
- Now known as Abertay University.
Location and Transport
- Based in the heart of Dundee, with all buildings on a compact city centre campus.
- Bus and mainline train stations within ten minutes' walk, offering services to all major cities in Scotland and beyond.
- Airport within 10 minutes' drive, offering direct flights to London Stansted airport.
- Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports about one hour's drive away.
- Varies from course to course, usually around BBBB at Higher (CCC at A level), but up to AABB at Higher (BBC at A level) for some subjects.
A-Level and GCSE Requirements
- The admissions information and policy can be found on our website, at www.abertay.ac.uk/courses/apply/admissionspoliciesandprocedures/.
The 4,755 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of study|
|Mode of study|
- Fully modularized course structure allows multiple entry/exit points, including advanced entry for appropriate accredited prior learning.
- New for 2015 entrants: accelerated degree option enabling students to complete a full four-year undergraduate degree inside three years by telescoping the last two years into 15 months. This is offered on seven different programmes across the Abertay portfolio. More details at http://www.abertay.ac.uk/courses/ad/
- Numerous professional accreditations can be found listed on individual course pages on our website, including Association of International Accountants; Creative Skillset; Sony Playstation First; British Computer Society Educational Affiliate; Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences, and British Psychological Society.
- Teaching is QAA Scotland 'UK Quality Assured'.
- One of the most research-intensive modern universities in the UK, as measured by REF2014.
- Overall research scores 18% higher in REF2014 than in the previous survey.
- Overall research quality rated as 'recognised internationally in terms of originality, significance and rigour'.
- Abertay students are more likely to be taught by academics of international or world-leading quality than in most other universities.
- Find more information on our website at www.abertay.ac.uk/research/ref2014
- Abertay is divided into four academic departments: School of Arts, Media & Computer Games; School of Science, Engineering & Technology; Dundee Business School; and the School of Social & Health Sciences; plus the Abertay Graduate School.
- Strengths include Environmental Science, Computer Games Technology, Computer Arts, Ethical Hacking and Digital Security, Psychology and Forensic Sciences, Food/Health/Nutrition, Sports Science, Business and Management, Energy/Oil & Gas Accounting, and Law.
- Modern library with 265 workstations and free Wi-Fi throughout the campus.
- A further 600+ elsewhere on campus, making a total of 865 workstations for a student population of 5,000 – one of the highest ratios in the UK.
- Large Student Centre incorporating two bars, function space, theatre/cinema, art gallery, campus shop, bistro and games room.
- Home to the UK's first Centre for Excellence in Computer Games Education.
- New Support Enquiry Zone opened in 2014 – a one-stop shop for all student support services including academic, finance, accommodation.
- Visit the university's website to find out about disability services.
- An active students' association with two sabbaticals and four staff.
- A high voting turnout encouraged by electronic voting.
- Around 20 clubs and societies.
- An active sports development office, with elite athletes development programme supporting a number of successful BUCS teams and individuals.
- Several international performers in Scottish/GB teams.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- New 500-bed student village opened 2010.
- New premises for Abertay Graduate School opened in 2014, with plans for further new-build featuring laboratories and teaching space in the next few years.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Good, with centralized information exchange on campus to publicize opportunities.
- A comprehensive service featuring Career Development Centre, job-shop and CV/application help, graduate vacancies database and many other services. You can find out more on our website at www.abertay.ac.uk/careers/
- Roger Ball and Malcolm Duncan, musicians, members of the Average White Band.
- Gavin Byers and Vicki Bunce, hockey players, Scottish internationals.
- Joe Fitzpatrick MSP, Scottish Government minister.
- Stewart Hosie MP, deputy leader of the Scottish National Party.
- David Jones, computer games developer, inventor of Grand Theft Auto.
- Iain McNicol, General Secretary of the Labour Party.
- Andy Nicol, Scottish international rugby player and commentator.
- Sir Brian Souter, founder and chairman of Stagecoach plc.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.