University of Abertay Dundee2014 League Table Ranking 111
2014 Overall Score 466
View the 2014 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Founded 1888 as Dundee Technical Institute.
- Described by the Scottish Office in 1902 as one of the nation's 'industrial universities'.
- Granted the right to use the formal title of University of Abertay Dundee in 1994.
Location and transport
- Based in the heart of Dundee, with all buildings on a compact city centre campus.
- Bus and mainline train stations within ten minutes' walk, offering services to all major cities in Scotland and beyond.
- Airport within 10 minutes' drive, offering flights to London, Belfast and Birmingham.
- Varies from course to course, usually around BBC at Higher (CC at A level), but up to AABB at Higher (BBC at A level) for some subjects.
- Roughly 50% female, 50% male.
- 20% of students non-UK in origin.
- 97% of students from state school.
- Applications to places ratio approximately 4 or 5:1.
- Fully modularized course structure allows multiple entry/exit points, including advanced entry for appropriate accredited prior learning.
- Please visit the HESA (www.hesa.ac.uk) or QAA (www.qaa.ac.uk) websites.
- Rated as Scotland's top university for environmental science, and best modern university for law and psychology.
- Abertay is divided into five academic departments: Institute of Arts, Media & Computer Games; School of Engineering, Computing & Applied Mathematics; School of Contemporary Sciences; Dundee Business School; and the School of Social & Health Sciences.
- Strengths include Environmental Science, Computer Games Technology, Computer Arts, Digital Entertainment and Smart Technologies, Computer and Network Security, Psychology and Forensic Sciences, Food/Health/Nutrition, Sports Science, Business and Management, Energy/Oil & Gas Accounting, and Law.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- Modern library with 265 workstations.
- A further 600+ elsewhere on campus, making a total of 865 workstations for a student population of 5,000 – one of the highest ratios in the UK.
- New Student Centre completed 2005, incorporating two bars, restaurant, theatre/cinema, art gallery/coffee shop, bookshop and nightclub.
- New Centre for Excellence in Computer Games Education, a UK first.
- Visit the website to find out about disability services at the University of Abertay Dundee.
- An active students' association with two sabbaticals and four staff .
- A high voting turnout encouraged by electronic voting.
- Around 20 clubs and societies.
- An active sports development office, with elite athletes development programme supporting a number of successful BUSA teams and individuals.
- Several international performers in Scottish/GB teams.
Recent/prospective new builds
- New 500-bed student village opened 2010.
- New £5-million business support fund launched to develop new creative companies.
Availability of part-time work
- Good, with centralized information exchange on campus to publicize opportunities.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.