Aberystwyth University2014 League Table Ranking 70
2014 Overall Score 591
View the 2014 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Established in 1872, Aberystwyth was the first university institution in Wales.
- Aberystwyth University has pioneered a number of academic disciplines - drama, geography, international politics and Welsh were first taught to degree level at Aberystwyth.
- The university has an international reputation for the excellence of its teaching and research.
Location and transport
- Superbly located on the coast in central Wales, the university's campus enjoys spectacular views over the sea.
- The university's campus is landscaped into a hillside and has a fine mix of classical and modern buildings.
- The railway station is located at the heart of Aberystwyth, providing easily accessible and direct road and rail links.
- Our standard offers currently include 120–160 points for a foundation degree and between 220 and 340 points for a wide range of honours degree subjects.
- 53% male, 47% female
- 80% home/EU students, 20% International.
- All courses are modular and provide a wide range of choice.
- Each course has at least two pathways out at the end of the first year.
- Transfer between degree schemes is possible at the end of the first, and even in some cases, the second year, subject to passes in pre-requisite modules.
- Voted fourth in the UK for its teaching and learning by The Times Higher Education's Student Experience Survey 2009.
- International Politics, Computer Science, Geography & Earth Sciences, Theatre Film & Television Studies, Biological Environmental & Rural Sciences, Information Studies, European Languages, History & Welsh History, Mathematics, Law, Art, Management & Business and Sport & Exercise Science all earning one or both of the highest two ratings in various areas of their research activities, as being 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' in the most recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2008).
- Accounting & Finance, Biological Sciences, Business & Management, Celtic Studies, Childhood Studies, Computer Science, Countryside Conservation & Management, Criminology, Drama, Economics, Education, English Literature and Creative Writing, Environmental Sciences, European Languages, Film & Television Studies, Fine Art, Geography, History, Information Management, International Politics, Irish, Law, Life Sciences (Foundation), Marketing, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, Rural Sciences, Software Engineering, Space Science & Robotics, Sport & Exercise Science, Tourism and Welsh.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- University library with over 845,000 books and journals, and access to over 45,000 periodicals.
- Access toa wide range of e-resources.
- Over 750 PCs available on 24 hour access.
- National Library of Wales, one of only five copyright libraries in Britain, is next door to the campus.
- For students with disabilities we can arrange note-taking services, adapted accommodation, and access to Green Card areas which are equipped with computers, special hardware, additional software and laptop access. We can offer you advice on enabling technology and special examination arrangements so that you can reach your full potential and get the good results you deserve.
- If you would like further information about our provision for students with disabilities or have specific questions, please contact us by email on email@example.com or phone us on 01970 621761.
- Superbly located on campus, the Students' Union provides a comprehensive range of welfare, social and sporting facilities.
- Over 100 clubs and societies including surfing, paintball, debating and environmental amongst others.
- Central sports centre provides a range of on campus services – swimming pool, team sports, fitness classes, sauna, etc.
- The coastal location provides superb opportunities for outdoor sports, mountain biking and water sports.
Recent/prospective new builds
- Major investment in the refurbishment and renovation of student residences.
- New building for the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences on Penglais Campus.
Availability of part-time work
- The university's Job Link scheme provides a range of opportunities for part-time work.
- There is no shortage of part-time work, provided students are flexible and offer relevant skills.
- HRH The Prince of Wales
- Lance Batchelor – Chief Executive Officer, Domino's Pizza
- Dr Catherine Bishop – Olympic Medal Winning Rower
- John Dawes – Captain, British Lions
- Peter Gradwell – Founder and Managing Director of Gradwell.com
- Alex Jones – Presenter, The One Show
- HRH Tunku Naquiyuddin ibni Tuanku Ja’afar – formerly Regent of the Malaysian State of Negri Sembilan
- Rt Hon Carwyn Jones – First Minister of Wales
- Ahmad Tejan Kabbah – Former President of Sierra Leone
- HRH Tuanku Muhriz ibni Almarhum Tuanku Munawir
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar (ruler) of the Malaysian State of Negri Sembilan
- Dr Jan Pinkava – Oscar Winning Director
- Louise Rickard – most capped player in the history of Women's rugby
- Director Professor Frederick Soddy – Nobel Prize Winning Chemist
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.