Aberystwyth University2015 League Table Ranking 87
2015 Overall Score 580
View the 2015 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Established in 1872, Aberystwyth was the first university institution in Wales.
- Aberystwyth University has pioneered a number of academic disciplines – drama, geography, international politics and Welsh were first taught to degree level at Aberystwyth.
- The university has an international reputation for the excellence of its teaching and research.
- The university comprises 17 departments, grouped into 7 institutes: Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences; Literature, Languages & Creative Arts; Geography, History & Politics; Human Sciences; Management, Law & Information Science; Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science; Education, Graduate & Professional Development.
Location and Transport
- Superbly located on the coast in central Wales, the university's campus enjoys spectacular views over the sea.
- The university's campus is landscaped into a hillside and has a fine mix of classical and modern buildings.
- University buildings, student residences and the Students' Union are located within a short walk of each other and the town centre.
- The railway station is located at the heart of Aberystwyth, providing easily accessible rail links to the Midlands and beyond.
- Our standard offers currently include 120–160 points for a foundation degree and between 220 and 340 points for a wide range of honours degree subjects.
- A wide range of other qualifications are accepted.
- Aberystwyth has around 14,000 students in total.
- Almost 10,000 are full-time students, and just over 8,400 are full-time undergraduates.
- 53% of our students are female, 47% are male.
- Over 1,000 of our students are from the EU and a further 900 are International students.
- Modular system provides a large degree of flexibility and choice.
- Many programmes allow students to defer the choice of specialism until the second year.
- Transfer between degree schemes is possible at the end of the first, and even in some cases, the second year, subject to passes in pre-requisite modules.
- Some degrees offer vocational content or make a contribution towards professional qualifications.
- Some degrees include industrial placements or work experience.
- European language degrees include a year abroad in a country where the chosen language is spoken.
- There are opportunities to study abroad through the Erasmus scheme or one of our international exchange programmes. Students at Aberystwyth are also eligible for the Year in Employment scheme, which offers an extended work placement in the UK or abroad.
- Voted fourth in the UK for its teaching and learning by The Times Higher Education's Student Experience Survey 2009.
- Students benefit from the active research environment at Aberystwyth and many are taught by researchers who are working at the cutting edge of their discipline.
- International Politics, Computer Science, Geography & Earth Sciences, Theatre Film & Television Studies, Biological Environmental & Rural Sciences, Information Studies, European Languages, History & Welsh History, Mathematics, Law, Art, Management & Business and Sport & Exercise Science all earning one or both of the highest two ratings in various areas of their research activities, as being 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' in the most recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2008).
- Accounting & Finance, Biological Sciences, Business & Management, Celtic Studies, Childhood Studies, Computer Science, Countryside Conservation & Management, Criminology, Drama, Economics, Education, English Literature and Creative Writing, Environmental Sciences, European Languages, Film & Television Studies, Fine Art, Geography, History, Information Management, International Politics, Irish, Law, Life Sciences (Foundation), Marketing, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, Rural Sciences, Software Engineering, Space Science & Robotics, Sport & Exercise Science, Tourism and Welsh.
- The university has a commitment to lifelong learning and offers a large number of general interest courses, which may be taken alongside your degree if you wish.
- University libraries with over 845,000 books and journals, and access to over 45,000 periodicals.
- Libraries offer spaces for both individual and group study.
- Access to a wide range of e-resources.
- Over 750 PCs available on 24 hour access.
- National Library of Wales, one of only five copyright libraries in Britain, is next door to the campus.
- All rooms in Halls of Residence have internet access, and the campus is wi-fi enabled.
- We aim to provide all students with an experience of the highest quality, and to make our academic facilities available to all who meet our entrance requirements.
- For disabled students, those with long standing health conditions or a specific learning difference (SpLD), Accessibility Services can arrange a variety of support such as one to one sessions with study tutors and/or mentors and note taking services, according to the students requirements. We can advise on adapted accommodation, enabling technology and individual exam arrangements and also on the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) application process pre and post entry.
- If you would like further information about our support provision or have specific questions, please contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 01970 621761.
- Superbly located on campus, the Students' Union provides a comprehensive range of welfare, social and sporting facilities.
- Over 100 clubs and societies including surfing, paintball, debating and environmental amongst others.
- Central sports centre provides a range of on campus services – including swimming pool, team sports, fitness classes, sauna.
- The coastal location provides superb opportunities for outdoor sports, mountain biking and water sports.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- On-going major investment in the refurbishment and renovation of lecture theatres and other teaching spaces on Penglais campus.
- Over £4.5m recently invested at the Llanbadarn Centre to create a new business and professional environment for the School of Management and Business, Department of Law and Criminology, and Department of Information Studies, including refurbished lecture rooms, non-traditional teaching spaces, dedicated library, social areas and academic support areas.
- New £45-m Student Residences opening in September 2014.
- £35-m investment in the development of the Aberystwyth Innovation and Diffusion Campus, opening in 2015, which will focus on research in agriculture, food production and renewable energy.
- £20-m investment in the forthcoming redevelopment of the Old College on the seafront.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The university's Job Link scheme provides a range of opportunities for part-time work.
- There is no shortage of part-time work, provided students are flexible and offer relevant skills.
- HRH The Prince of Wales
- Lance Batchelor – Chief Executive Officer, Domino's Pizza
- Dr Catherine Bishop – Olympic Medal Winning Rower
- John Dawes – Captain, British Lions
- Peter Gradwell – Founder and Managing Director of Gradwell.com
- Alex Jones – Presenter, The One Show
- HRH Tunku Naquiyuddin ibni Tuanku Ja’afar – formerly Regent of the Malaysian State of Negri Sembilan
- Rt Hon Carwyn Jones – First Minister of Wales
- Ahmad Tejan Kabbah – Former President of Sierra Leone
- HRH Tuanku Muhriz ibni Almarhum Tuanku Munawir
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar (ruler) of the Malaysian State of Negri Sembilan
- Dr Jan Pinkava – Oscar Winning Director
- Louise Rickard – most capped player in the history of Women's rugby
- Director Professor Frederick Soddy – Nobel Prize Winning Chemist
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.