Arts University Bournemouth2014 League Table Ranking 75
2014 Overall Score 578
View the 2014 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- The Arts University Bournemouth (AUB) was founded over 125 years ago as a specialist arts institution.
- It became an HEI in 2001 and was awarded Taught Degree Awarding Powers in 2009.
- It became a full university in 2012.
- It now offers a range of art, design, media and performance degrees at further, higher, postgraduate and research level as well as a range of short courses.
- Simon Beaufoy – Simon is an Oscar-winning screenwriter who studied film and television at the AUB. Simon penned the scripts for The Full Monty and the multi award-winning Danny Boyle film Slumdog Millionaire. Most recently, he was the Artistic Director for the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Nick Love – Nick is a producer, director and writer who studied Film at the AUB. His film credits include The Football Factory, Outlaw and most notably The Business. He has recently released a remake of The Sweeney starring Ray Winstone.
- Wolfgang Tillmans – Wolfgang studied photography at the AUB. He is a critically acclaimed photographer who has been published in magazines such as i-d and Vogue and he is the first photographer to win the Turner Prize.
- Edgar Wright – Since Edgar studied at the AUB, he has achieved huge success as a writer, director and producer. He is most famous for his collaborations with Simon Pegg which include the Channel 4 television series Spaced and films Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.
- Mel Giedroyc – Mel studied film in at the AUB in the early 1990s. She is a prolific actress, television presenter, comedian and writer who is perhaps best known for her comedy collaborations alongside Sue Perkins and as a writer for French and Saunders.
- Nick Knight – Nick studied photography at the AUB. He has photographed some of the world's most famous people and is a multi award-winning fashion photographer and owner of SHOWstudio. He recently directed Lady Gaga’s award winning Born This Way video.
- Sara Sugarman – Sara studied film and television at the AUB in the 1990s. She is an actor and directing auteur whose directing credits include Mad Cows, Very Annie Mary and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen starring Lindsay Lohan.
- Suri Krishnamma – Suri studied film at the AUB. He has directed several films, including A Man of No Importance, New Year's Day, and Wuthering Heights as well as several episodes of the BBC drama Waking.
Location and transport
- Situated on the south coast of England, with good train links to London and ferry/air routes to Europe.
- Dorset has outstanding natural beauty with seven miles of wonderful beaches and unspoilt countryside (including the New Forest and the Purbeck Hills).
- Much historic and artistic interest with large towns such as Bournemouth also offering a vibrant, youthful environment.
- The university welcomes applicants from all backgrounds who have the potential to gain a degree.
- Offers to most courses are made on the basis of interview and portfolio, but all courses have minimum entry requirements – visit the website for more information.
- Application is online via the UCAS website www.ucas.com.
- Approximately 3,500 creative full-time HE students.
- Students on all courses undertake a range of self-directed project units which lets them focus on areas of particular interest.
- There is a large culture of collaboration across all the courses at the AUB.
- The university received 88% overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey.
- Excellent reputation for courses in the creative arts and design.
- Over 97.7% of students have secured employment or further study within six months of graduation – in the top 5 of all UK universities in the 2011 DLHE Survey.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- One of the largest, specialist purpose-built libraries outside London, with unique Museum of Design in Plastics located on campus.
- The Gallery at the Arts University Bournemouth offers a unique space in the South West for the arts including design, media and performance.
- Excellent IT facilities (PCs and Macs); campus is wi-fi; state of the art facilities and workshops; contemporary gallery space.
- Industry standard equipment across the range of courses.
- New 3D Printer.
- Enterprise Pavilion offering facilities and mentoring to new graduates launching creative business.
- Please telephone +44(0)1202 363291, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website for information on disability services at AUB.
- University college is affiliated to NUS.
- President of University SU sits on various committees including the University's Board of Governors.
Recent/prospective new builds
- Extension of fully equipped studio facilities have recently been completed for Fashion and Costume courses.
- New halls of residence are currently being built in Bournemouth town centre.
Availability of part-time work
- Students are eligible to apply to go onto the Student Workbank to undertake paid work for the university.
- Wide range of part-time work available in the Bournemouth and Poole conurbation.
- Careers Service provides details of some part-time opportunities.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.