Arts University Bournemouth2016 League Table Ranking 57
2016 Overall Score 650
View the 2016 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- The Arts University Bournemouth (AUB) was founded over 125 years ago as a specialist arts institution.
- It became a full university in December 2012.
- It offers a range of art, design, media and performance degrees at further, higher, postgraduate and research level as well as a range of short courses.
Location and Transport
- Situated on the south coast of England, with good train links to London and ferry/air routes to Europe.
- Dorset has outstanding natural beauty with seven miles of wonderful beaches and unspoilt countryside (including the New Forest and the Purbeck Hills).
- Much historic and artistic interest with large towns such as Bournemouth also offering a vibrant, youthful environment.
- The university welcomes applicants from all backgrounds who have the potential to gain a degree.
- Offers to most courses are made on the basis of interview and portfolio, but all courses have minimum entry requirements – visit our website for more information.
- Application is online via the UCAS website www.ucas.com.
The 2,940 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of study|
|Mode of study|
- Students on all courses undertake a range of self-directed project units which lets them focus on areas of particular interest.
- There is a large culture of collaboration across all the courses at the AUB.
- The university received 86% overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey.
- Excellent reputation for courses in the creative arts and design.
- Over 97.7% of students have secured employment or further study within six months of graduation – in the top 5 of all UK universities in the 2011 DLHE Survey.
- AUB has committed to a £17-million investment project which will take place from 2014–16, and includes a Drawing Studio designed by Sir Peter Cook.
- One of the largest, specialist purpose-built libraries outside London, with a unique Museum of Design in Plastics located on campus.
- The Gallery at the Arts University Bournemouth offers a unique space in the south west for the arts including design, media and performance.
- Excellent IT facilities (PCs and Macs); campus is Wi-Fi; state of the art facilities and workshops; contemporary gallery space.
- Industry standard equipment across the range of courses.
- f you’d like to talk about anything or find out what support is available to you, please contact the Disability and Wellbeing team on +44 1202 363291 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At AUBSU, we strive to work closely with students in order to provide necessary support in all areas of university life, including education, welfare, employment, sports, clubs, events and societies as well as a whole host of other platforms.
- In 2014, the SU planted a tree for each new student to contribute towards carbon offsetting their time here.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
AUB has committed to a £17-million investment project which will take place from 2014–16 and includes:
- New photography building offering flexible teaching space.
- IT suites and a lecture theatre.
- The Crab Drawing Studio – the first of its kind to be built in the UK since the 1900s and has been designed by Professor Sir Peter Cook (AUB Visiting Professor).
- A new Student Services building with a dedicated space to meet with student advisors.
- New in September 2014, our BH1 halls of residence provide accommodation for 378 students in the centre of Bournemouth.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Students are eligible to apply to go onto the Student Workbank to undertake paid work for the university.
- Wide range of part-time work available in the Bournemouth and Poole conurbation.
- Careers Service provides details of some part-time opportunities.
- The Careers Service at Arts University Bournemouth is based in Student Services.
- It offers careers advice and guidance to help students and recent graduates explore, manage and develop their career ideas.
- Simon Beaufoy – Simon is an Oscar-winning screenwriter who studied film and television at the AUB. Simon penned the scripts for The Full Monty and the multi award-winning Danny Boyle film Slumdog Millionaire. Most recently, he was the Artistic Director for the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Nick Love – Nick is a producer, director and writer who studied Film at the AUB. His film credits include The Football Factory, Outlaw and most notably The Business. He has recently released a remake of The Sweeney starring Ray Winstone.
- Wolfgang Tillmans – Wolfgang studied photography at the AUB. He is a critically acclaimed photographer who has been published in magazines such as i-d and Vogue and he is the first photographer to win the Turner Prize.
- Edgar Wright – Since Edgar studied at the AUB, he has achieved huge success as a writer, director and producer. He is most famous for his collaborations with Simon Pegg which include the Channel 4 television series Spaced and films Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.
- Mel Giedroyc – Mel studied film in at the AUB in the early 1990s. She is a prolific actress, television presenter, comedian and writer who is perhaps best known for her comedy collaborations alongside Sue Perkins and as a writer for French and Saunders.
- Nick Knight – Nick studied photography at the AUB. He has photographed some of the world's most famous people and is a multi award-winning fashion photographer and owner of SHOWstudio. He recently directed Lady Gaga’s award winning Born This Way video.
- Sara Sugarman – Sara studied film and television at the AUB in the 1990s. She is an actor and directing auteur whose directing credits include Mad Cows, Very Annie Mary and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen starring Lindsay Lohan.
- Suri Krishnamma – Suri studied film at the AUB. He has directed several films, including A Man of No Importance, New Year's Day, and Wuthering Heights as well as several episodes of the BBC drama Waking.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.