Bournemouth University2015 League Table Ranking 65
2015 Overall Score 621
View the 2015 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Bournemouth University's origins can be traced to the early 1900s with the foundation of the former Bournemouth Municipal College.
- The University's modern history began in 1976 with the opening of the Dorset Institute of Higher Education.
- In 1990, the Dorset Institute was re-designated Bournemouth Polytechnic and later became Bournemouth University in 1992.
Location and Transport
- The University lies at the heart of southern England's largest non-industrial conurbation – between the New Forest and Jurassic Coast.
- The two campuses, in Poole and Bournemouth, are served by excellent dedicated bus services.
- We also currently run courses at other locations in Bournemouth and Poole, as well as in Portsmouth, Yeovil, Salisbury and Weymouth.
- London is two hours by rail and excellent road links lead to destinations in the South and West.
We welcome applications from students with a wide range of qualifications. Each course has specific entry requirements which are detailed at www.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses.
The 17735 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of Study|
|Mode of Study|
- Bournemouth is committed to developing students as self-motivated, independent, lifelong learners, empowered to make significant contributions in their careers.
- Since 2012, Bournemouth has offered every student on an undergraduate course the opportunity to undertake some form of work placement.
- Some part-time undergraduate options are available and a number of short courses can be combined to create postgraduate qualifications in a range of subjects.
- The University is using modern technology to provide opportunities to study from home or the workplace or come into the University for only limited periods to pursue academic activities.
- BU’s ethos is to focus on a fusion of excellent education, research and professional practice.
- We’re the first university to have achieved a 'commended' judgement for the quality of student learning opportunities, from the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA), the highest award possible.
- Bournemouth University have more students on work placements than any other university in Great Britain.
- The UK's only Centre for Excellence in Media Practice, and the award-winning National Centre for Computer Animation are both based at the University.
- BU is also home to recognised Centres of Excellence in Tourism, the Environment, Postgraduate Medical Research and Education, Executive Education and Forensics.
- Many of our courses are accredited by the biggest names in relevant industries. In total, 33 different bodies offer accreditation to courses at BU.
- In recent years, Bournemouth University has recruited nearly 200 new academics who are fully engaged with their subjects through education, research, professional practice and knowledge exchange.
- A large number of BU academics have participated in the University’s Releasing Potential programme – the UK's largest research development scheme for academics.
- Bournemouth University emerged from the latest Research Assessment Exercise as the fourth most improved university in the UK for the quality of its research.
- The BU Media School, recognised as a Skillset Media Academy, is the largest centre of professional higher education for the media industries in the UK.
- The School of Tourism is recognised as a global leader in Tourism, Leisure, Hospitality and Retail.
- The School of Health and Social Care leads the South West for nursing, midwifery and social work.
- In 2012, BU was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education for world-leading excellence and pioneering development in computer animation. This award is the education equivalent of the UK national honours system and is bestowed upon the institution by Her Majesty, The Queen, for a period of four years.
- BU is home to the 'best large library' in the UK, according to the Society of College, National and University Libraries.
- The University's Library Service is a recognised leader in exploiting new technology and developing myBU, a fast-growing virtual learning environment.
- Specialist labs and facilities include a unique forensics crime house and the UK's first University-based Sony HD TV studio.
- The Students' Union at Bournemouth University (SUBU) was shortlisted for the National Union of Students (NUS) Higer Education Students’ Union of the year 2012–13.
- The Students' Union (SUBU) is the voice for students, providing confidential advice and representation on many issues.
- BU's Summerball was officially the largest university summer ball in 2012.
- SUBU is the central hub for clubs, societies as well as our student-run media outlet – Nerve* magazine, TV and radio.
- It manages shops and bars on both campuses including the student night club, the Old Fire Station.
- sportBU provides a broad range of opportunities for you to get involved in sports and physical activity whilst at Bournemouth University.
- In 2012 the University invested in a complete refurbishment of the gym suite including the addition of a new multi-purpose large studio.
- sportBU offers comprehensive sports scholarships to support talented athletes.
- Students can also access excellent local clubs and facilities through our wide range of partnerships.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- £200M is to be invested in our campuses and IT facilities by 2018.
- New investment in accommodation and academic space is helping to create the best environment for personal and professional development.
- Major refurbishment to main buildings means added social learning spaces and massive improvements to the Bournemouth student experience.
- Other developments include Kimmeridge House – a new suite of lecture theatres which includes a 310-seater with digital audio visual equipment, enabling the highest quality imaging and a surround sound system.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Leisure and tourism are the leading industries in Bournemouth, which is reflected in the abundance of part-time jobs available year round.
- The Students' Union hires many students and employment agencies assist in finding office-based work with hours to suit.
- The University’s Graduate Employment Service provides information on job vacancies and employment opportunities – both short- and long-term.
- Rebecca Huxtable – assistant producer of The Scott Mills Show on BBC Radio 1.
- Dan O'Hagan – commentator, BBC Match of the Day.
- Gary Taphouse – commentator, Football First on Sky Sports.
- Reza Dehghani – founder of Criminal Clothing.
- Karl Neilson – television director.
- David Amess – Member of Parliament for Southend West.
- Andrew Lockley – Oscar winner for Inception.
- Tommy Sandhu – presenter, BBC Asian Network.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.