Brunel University2015 League Table Ranking 47
2015 Overall Score 684
View the 2015 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Brunel College of Advanced Technology was awarded its Royal Charter in 1966, becoming Brunel University.
- Named after I. K. Brunel, the university has sought to emulate the great engineer's energy, creativity and practicality.
- A succession of developments and mergers has brought the University from modest beginnings to become a major force both within the UK higher education sector and on the international stage.
Location and Transport
- Located in Uxbridge on the outskirts of London, Brunel is one of the very few campus-based universities within the M25.
- Brunel is just a few miles from Heathrow Airport, the M4, M40 and M25, and is served by excellent bus services.
- Uxbridge is served by the Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines on the London Underground
- Entry requirements vary – please see the web course pages for details.
- Brunel recognises a wide range of UK and overseas qualifications.
- Male to female 54.6 : 45.4.
- Home to overseas 87.6 : 12.4.
- Undergraduate to postgraduate 72:28.
- Applications to places 7.6:1.
- All courses comprise self-contained modules or study blocks, most offering optional topics so you can tailor your course to suit your interests.
- One of Brunel’s most distinctive features is the commitment to including periods of work experience – sandwich placements – in many courses to help students develop the practical knowledge and skills required to succeed in the competitive graduate job market.
- The University offers programmes with an integrated foundation year in Engineering or IT and maths to prepare non-specialists in those areas or those who do not meet the standard entry criteria, for level 1 of relevant degree courses.
- Brunel maintained a good performance overall in the 2013 NSS with outstanding success for the Library and Academic Skills Service.
- Brunel’s focus on research benefits students as it ensures course content is relevant and up to date.
- Many programmes have external validation/accreditation from professional bodies, for example, Journalism, Mechanical Engineering and Physiotherapy.
- The latest Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), carried out in all UK universities in 2008, judged 82% of our research to be of international standing.
- As a result of this success, the university secured a 54.5% increase in the level of its research funding from the Higher Education Funding Council, rising to £12.9 million for 2009–10. The higher education sector averaged an increase of just 7.8%.
- Brunel University Institute for the Environment’s research, revealing the link between chemicals in rivers and reproductive health, won the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in 2011.
- Students are encouraged to undertake practical placements and projects as an integral part of their course.
- Brunel’s courses are underpinned by internationally-renowned research in a range of subjects from Cancer Genetics and Human-Centred Design to Contemporary Music and Sport Psychology.
- High-quality academics are the core of any university and our profile has transformed as more internationally renowned academics continue to join Brunel – Performance Poet Benjamin Zephaniah is Professor of Poetry and Creative Writing, and author Will Self is Professor of Contemporary Thought.
The Library, open 24 hours during term time, is located at the centre of the campus, provides you with many of the study resources you will need during your time at Brunel, including:
- an extensive collection of books, journals and audio-visual materials,
- online databases, including over 150,000 eBooks and over 36,000 eJournals,
- 1,200 study spaces and nearly 500 PCs, in a range of environments, including group study rooms and silent study areas,
- induction sessions, information skills training and one-to-one support, as well as support in the use of statistics and packages such as SPSS,
- subject Liaison to support students in accessing and using relevant resources.
Academic Skills Service (ASK)
- ASK specialises in teaching you the skills you need to learn independently and thrive. Whether it’s advice on researching, planning and writing assignments, giving presentations, time management or maths, numeracy and statistics, ASK offers workshops, individual advice and resources to support your learning.
- The Headstart programme helps widening participation students make the transition to studying in Higher Education
- PC workstations are situated round campus, many available 24/7
- Computer store for computers and supplies, plus a media and audiovisual equipment loan service
- Prepay print, scan and copy service
- A filestore allocation, username, password and Brunel’s virtual learning environment.
The Arts Centre
- Organises weekly classes, events, exhibitions and concerts.
- Provides the space, tuition and specialist equipment required for your creative skills to flourish.
- Please telephone 01895 265213; fax 01895 269767; email firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit the website for information.
- Brunel’s Disability and Dyslexia Service has received national awards and accolades in recent years reflecting the quality of the service.
- The Union facilitates activities and represents the interests of all students. There are a range of clubs and societies to join, Brunel’s nightclub, the Academy, caters for all musical tastes, and student media – including a newspaper and radio station to keep you up to date.
- Brunel’s sports facilities rank amongst the best in the UK.
- Many Brunel students, graduates and staff have represented their countries at the Olympic Games and World Championships as competitors and coaches.
- Top quality facilities include £14-million Indoor Athletics Centre and netball hall, outdoor athletics arena and numerous sports pitches, gym and fitness suite, squash courts and climbing wall, and two full-sized floodlit playing fields, one with competition standard synthetic surface.
- The university awards scholarships annually to students of outstanding sporting ability.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- Brunel’s investment in building and infrastructure over the past decade is now in excess of £400 million, with many new and refurbished social, teaching and sporting facilities, halls of residence, and green spaces to enjoy.
- This investment has transformed the campus, which retains its original 1960s architecture but with the addition of striking new buildings and landscaping.
- Our latest acquisition is the £30-million flagship Eastern Gateway Building that opened in July 2012 providing teaching and research facilities, a new home for Brunel Business School, a large auditorium, a café and an art gallery.
- The Schools of Health Sciences and Social Care and Engineering and Design have also benefited from the addition of new, multi-million pound buildings.
- In addition, the Lecture Centre has undergone an extensive renovation.
- The refurbished Antonin Artaud building contains drama and performance studios, a music room, a public performance venue and radio and video-editing suites.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Job Shop organises part-time and vacation work for Brunel students, much of it for departments within the University.
- The Placement and Careers Centre organises careers education, work placement and recruitment services.
- Student Ambassador Scheme gives students the opportunity to represent the university to the outside world and earn money at the same time.
- Jo Brand – comedian.
- James Cracknell – Olympic gold medallist.
- Audley Harrison – Olympic gold medallist.
- Lee Mack – comedian and actor.
- Archie Panjabi – actress.
- Ross Ramgobin – bass/baritone, opera.
- Peter Ward – founder of WAYN.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.