Buckinghamshire New University2015 League Table Ranking 115
2015 Overall Score 460
View the 2015 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Bucks New University is firmly established as the principal provider of university education in Buckinghamshire.
- Awarded full university status in 2007, with a history that dates back to 1893.
- Completed a campus consolidation programme in 2009; the majority of the University’s provision is based at the High Wycombe Campus, with the exception of Nursing and Operating Department Practioner which is now based at the Uxbridge Campus, West London.
Location and Transport
- Situated approximately half way between London and Oxford, High Wycombe is the second largest town in Buckinghamshire.
- Bucks is currently made up of two campuses, one in High Wycombe and one in Uxbridge.
- Easy access to central London from High Wycombe – just 40 minutes by road and rail from London (Marylebone), and from Uxbridge (Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines).
- Most courses require a UCAS points tariff of between 200 and 240 with maths and English at grade C or above.
- The exception to this is Law which requires a points score of 300–340 or equivalent.
- Males, 57%.
- Females, 43%.
- Bucks welcomes significant numbers of mature students, with 35% of the student population over the age of 25.
- Part-time options are available for some courses.
- Bucks is a new generation university that is always open to fresh ideas and thinking. We aim to provide our students with an innovative, supportive and dynamic culture.
- The university has developed a large number of courses through its industry contacts, so that students are well prepared for the world of work when they graduate.
- The university, as an award-granting body under the Royal Charter, has taken steps to assure the quality of its programmes leading to its qualifications.
- Courses are overseen by staff with a high level of expertise gained through their research activity, connections with industry, or professional experience.
- Bucks New University offers programmes that lead to the award of postgraduate research degrees at Coventry University.
- Research at Bucks is focused on the needs of business, commerce and industry, as well as the public and voluntary sectors. The University encourages a collaborative approach and has particularly close links with overseas institutions, local government, National Health & Primary Care Trusts, and industry.
- The Faculty of Design, Media & Management includes a very broad range of subjects such as art and design, business and management, computing and information technology, dance, and performing arts, fashion and textiles, law, media, music and events management, product design, security, sport and fitness and travel and aviation.
- The University launched the Clare Business School in 2011. It brings together business education from school level to PhD, in partnership with a range of businesses.
- The Faculty of Society & Health includes nursing and health care, policing and criminology, psychology and social work.
- Bucks was ranked number one for education provision in Child Nursing, second for Adult Nursing and third for Mental Health Nursing, by NHS London, putting the University in the top three for all of the categories in which it offers provision. It is one of NHS London’s preferred suppliers for Nursing provision.
- Since 2000, Advertising: Creative students have won 16 firsts, 14 seconds and 22 commendations in the D&AD Student Awards.
- The University was one of the first to provide courses in music management.
- Extensively-equipped Learning Resource Centres at each campus.
- Around 650 student workstations for general use (PCs and Macs).
- Industry-standard video and audio production suites, CAD/CAM facilities, crafts workshops, and skills laboratories.
- The Disability Service is able to offer a wide range of continuing advice and support to those with dyslexia, medical conditions, mental health difficulties or other disabilities.
- For information on the disability services at Bucks New University, telephone 01494 605049, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website.
- Bucks Students' Union is very active and plays an important aspect of life at the university.
- Clubs, societies, bars and bands are all part and parcel of the student experience, but the union also acts as a key representation body.
- The union offers a wide range of activities throughout the year, as diverse as museum trips to pot holing - all free to students and accessible to all.
- Bucks Students’ Union won the Best Bar None Gold Award for one of the best student venues in the UK, and a silver environmental award at the Sound Environmental Impact Awards.
- Bucks students can play around 30 different sports at a competitive level without any charge. The University’s Big Deal student support package includes paying for kit, match fees, getting students to matches, and paying for coaches for teams so that sport can be played for free.
- Teams from Bucks compete in fixtures organised by either the Southern England Students' Sport Association or British Universities & Colleges Sport.
- A new state-of-the-art complex located at the High Wycombe Campus offers a range of new sports facilities including a sports hall, gym, human performance laboratory, treatment rooms and a dance studio.
- The University’s gym is equipped with all the latest equipment and can be used by all students – from the elite athlete to the more infrequent player – at a discounted rate.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- Bucks has redeveloped its High Wycombe campus, constructing a state-of-the-art complex known as the Gateway, which won a Royal Institute of British Architects award in 2010. The building offers a rich mix of commercial-standard facilities, including a sports/events hall, fitness centre and performance lab, dance and drama studios, music recording studios and video production suites, a modern integrated learning resources centre and meeting and conference rooms. The combination of facilities enables interaction between students from a variety of disciplines. Other buildings have been substantially refurbished.
- The University's new home for its nursing students, the Uxbridge campus, was refurbished to provide modern facilities and state-of-the-art skills labs in 2009. It now boasts a simulation suite, comprising a surgical theatre, and three-bed high dependency ward, as well as manikins which can breathe and talk.
- Noel Fielding and Dave Brown, comedians, artists and stars of The Mighty Boosh (Graphic Design and Advertising).
- Boo Ritson, artist (Fine Art).
- Naomi Riches, Paralympic bronze medallist (Designed Metalwork & Jewellery).
- Mark Hamilton, Managing Director of G4S Events (Leadership and Management).
- Tony Ball, founder of Show and Event Security (Leadership and Management).
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.