Cardiff University2014 League Table Ranking 35
2014 Overall Score 736
View the 2014 league tables
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Founded in 1883.
- Cardiff celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2008.
Location and transport
- Cardiff is Europe’s youngestcapital city – small enough to be friendly and big enough to offer the best of living in a major city.
- The University is based in and around Cardiff's elegant civic centre, five minutes' walk from the city centre.
- Academic buildings, student residences and the Students' Union are within a short walk of each other.
- Excellent road and rail links with Britain's major towns and cities, and an international airport.
- Cardiff is just two hours away from the centre of London by rail or road and only an hour and a half’s drive away from Heathrow.
- Dependent on the course. Many courses require AAB/ABB – 50% of Cardiff's students have AAB or above at A level.
- A wide range of other qualifications are considered.
- Cardiff has around 28,000 students. There is an almost equal split between male and female students.
- There are more than 3,000 international students drawn from over 100 overseas countries.
- 85% of undergraduate students previously attended state schools. The remainder went to independent schools.
- Cardiff is one of the most popular universities in the UK in terms of the number of UCAS applications received. Applications to place ratios vary depending on the course.
- 94% per cent of 2010 Cardiff University graduates found a job or entered further study within six months of completing their studies.
- Modular system provides a large degree of flexibility and choice.
- Many programmes allow students to defer the choice of specialism until the second year.
- Many degrees benefit from a significant vocational and professional content. Others offer opportunities for industrial placements or a year abroad.
- Cardiff teaching and learning takes place in a research environment where students benefit from interaction with researchers who are working at the frontiers of knowledge in their disciplines..
- Teaching at Cardiff has been independently assessed as being of excellent standard.
- The QAA has confirmed every confidence in the quality of Cardiff's awards.
- Overall there are high satisfaction levels amongst students.
- Cardiff is a member of the Russell Group of major UK research-led universities.
- Research has attracted more than £100-million of external research awards in the last year.
- Excellent results in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise. Around 60% of all research at Cardiff was assessed as either 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent'.
- The breadth of expertise encompasses the Humanities, Physical, Health and Life and Social Sciences, Engineering and Technology.
- There are long-established links with the professions – more than 40 programmes of study are professionally accredited.
- The university has a commitment to lifelong learning.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- The university has 18 libraries (conveniently located near to subject areas) and more than 1.3 million books and journals.
- The entire campus area is wireless enabled, allowing students to use their own computers to access resources.
- For information on disability and dyslexia services at Cardiff University telephone 02902 874844, email or visit the website.
- The union offers an exciting entertainment programme, a comprehensive range of student support services and 150 clubs and societies.
- High quality facilities include a 1,900 capacity nightclub and the Great Hall, a major concert venue. There is an ongoing investment programme.
- Three sports centres located across the campus providing opportunities for all, regardless of ability or commitment.
- An active Athletic Union and more than 60 sports clubs catering for most sports.
- Excellent sporting facilities and a Sports Bursary Award/Support Programme for those of the highest sporting potential.
- The University’s sports fields in Llanrumney will host pre-games training for the Olympic football that will take place at the Millennium Stadium as part of the 2012 Olympic Games.
Recent/prospective new builds
- A new £20-m building has been built at the Heath Park Campus. The Cochrane Building provides facilities including a new library, clinical skills and high tech simulation laboratories, seminar rooms, wireless access to online services and student support services. It will be used by all five healthcare academic schools based on this campus.
- A new £4-m extension to the Bioscience Building is in use and offers a range of new facilities to bioscience students.
- Recently completed developments include a £20-m building for the School of Optometry and a £4-m Lecture theatre and teaching complex on the university's Heath Park Campus.
- Plans have been developed for an entirely new campus – Maindy Park – which will be located alongside existing university buildings. The Park will be a phased development of buildings for research, postgraduate teaching and showcasing the University's academic excellence. There would be a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary working, with space for new research initiatives to start up and grow. The first phase of the new campus is under construction.
Availability of Part-time Work
- The Unistaff Jobshop is a student employment service providing casual work to hundreds of students.
- Professor Sir Martin Evans FRS – Nobel Prize winner in 2007 and president of Cardiff University.
- Neil Kinnock – Former leader of the Labour Party and former president of Cardiff University.
- Nathan Cleverly – Light Heavyweight world champion boxer.
- Martin Lewis – TV and radio presenter appearing on Radio 1 and This Morning.
- Huw Edwards – BBC News presenter and BAFTA award winning journalist.
- Dame Mary Perkins – Founder of Specsavers.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.