University of Central Lancashire
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 2.51 / 4.00
- 4.06 / 5.00
- 62.3 / 100.0
- 78.1 / 100.0
- 62.0 / 100.0
- The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) was founded in 1828 as the Institution for the Diffusion of Knowledge, becoming a university in 1992.
- Our main campus is in the city of Preston, at the heart of Lancashire; UCLan has further campuses at Westlakes in West Cumbria (nuclear and energy-related research programmes), Burnley and Cyprus as well as strategic partnerships in China and Mauritius.
- UCLan’s international community of staff and students is close to 38,000.
Location and Transport
- Preston is a vibrant mid-sized city situated in the north west of England. With traditional and contemporary shopping experiences, a thriving café culture and busy yet safe evening social scene, Preston also boasts beautiful parks, culturally-important museums and a thriving marina and docks area.
- We have excellent road and rail links. Being just 50 minutes away from Manchester and Liverpool, the university is also only a little over 2 hours from London and Glasgow by train. On the doorstep of the Lake District, the city of Preston is surrounded by beautiful countryside and is also in easy reach of the coast, with Blackpool a short bus journey away.
- The city is served by an excellent local bus network with several services stopping frequently at uuniversity locations.
- Preston and the South Ribble region benefit from over 50km of traffic-free cycle paths and the 20mph zones around the campus mean that it is safer to cycle on the campus roads too. There are bike compounds, cycle lockers and an array of bike racks across campus.
- During term time the university provides a transport link from the Preston Campus to UCLan Sports Arena at key times enabling students to access the range of facilities on site.
- Major international airports in Manchester and Liverpool are less than an hour away.
- UCLan entry requirements vary depending on the individual course. Some courses will require you to achieve specific grades and, in some cases, in certain subjects. Many courses require the equivalent of three A2 level qualifications.
- UCLan accepts all Advanced Level subjects for admission purposes. This includes linear and modular A levels and General Studies.
- We normally ask for at least five passes at GSCE grade C or above. You must pass GCSE Maths and English or equivalent for all of our courses.
- Average entry offers range from 280 to 320 points. See our course pages for more details about entry requirements for specific courses.
- Foundation Entry Degree courses are designed for students who don’t have the necessary formal qualifications for their chosen programme at undergraduate. We offer this route for almost all degree subjects.
- UCLan welcomes all adult learners and will take into consideration your previous skills and experience instead of the normal entry requirements.
- For 2017 we will be switching to the new UCAS tariff.
The 25,655 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 83%
- Postgraduate 17%
Mode of study
- Full Time 68%
- Part Time 32%
- UK 89%
- EU 2%
- Other 9%
- Male 45%
- Female 55%
- Choose from over 500 undergraduate courses and over 200 taught postgraduate programmes. Electives are used to broaden the curriculum and offer you greater choice.
- Foundation Entry Degrees for most subjects mean you can study the course of your choice even if you don’t have the necessary formal qualifications.
- Opportunities for part-time, evening and distance learning, including a mix of online and on-campus learning.
- A number of undergraduate and postgraduate courses offer January start dates.
- Opportunities to study part of your course at UCLan Cyprus or at partner organisations in countries such as China, the Middle East or the USA.
- We will help you source structured work experience placements in the UK and abroad, from the university’s impressive links with employers such as Sony, BAe Systems and Apple as well as thousands of smaller companies.
- In the most recent National Student Survey (NSS) over eight out of 10 students said they were happy with the quality of their overall educational experience at UCLan, the highest overall satisfaction score ever recorded by UCLan. We rate in the top 25 English universities for assessment and feedback (NSS 2014).
- Scores for the areas of learning resources and personal development have maintained the same high score as last year, 90% and 85% respectively, with both areas achieving scores at least 2% above the sector average. Management Studies is ranked number 1 in the UK for overall satisfaction.
- UCLan academics are regularly recognised with prestigious national teaching fellowships by the Higher Education Academy.
- We ensure our courses are relevant to employers by embedding employability skills into every degree course, using professionally-qualified practitioners with industry experience and, where appropriate, seeking industry-accreditation.
- Recognised by the Quality Assurance Agency for our 'strategic, thorough and effective institutional approach to quality enhancement' (2008 QAA Institutional Audit).
- Whether it’s developing a 3D printing technique for medical tablets or uncovering a potential cause of Alzheimer’s, UCLan’s research is changing lives.
- UCLan’s Undergraduate Research Internship Scheme is one of the largest in the UK and draws students from across the arts, sciences, health and business disciplines to work on a huge range of research projects for a period of up to 10 weeks.
- This initiative enhances a variety of academic and employability skills, leading to some students presenting at the Houses of Parliament and being published in peer reviewed journals.
Choose from a wide range of courses across a strong academic portfolio: from Forensic Chemistry to Fashion; from Architecture to Journalism; including respected courses in Dentistry and Pharmacy.
We are the largest higher education providers of Forensic Science, Policing and related subjects in the world.
Our world-leading research focuses on four strands: Health and Wellbeing; Society and Environment; Science and Technology; and Culture and Communication.
Many UCLan courses are accredited by professional and statutory bodies.
Strong focus on employability for all courses. As a result of close links with a huge range of employers such as BAE Systems, the NHS and NASA, visitors from industry contribute to career development activity while students can undertake short-term internships and longer-term work placements to gain essential work experience and enhance employability skills.
Students are supported in finding work and study opportunities abroad. UCLan’s Travel Bursaries have been taken up by hundreds of students, keen to add a truly international aspect to their CV. Students can study part of their course at our Cyprus campus or our global network of partners, including in China, the Middle East and the USA.
In 2015 UCLan launched a new School of Medicine.
Type of Qualification:
We have a full range of support services for students including:
- The one-stop student information centre 'The i' a free counselling service.
- A Medical Centre giving you access to GPs and nurses.
- A pre-school centre providing professional childcare.
- Our Multi-Faith Centre warmly welcomes all staff and students.
- The university has created an outdoor television set on campus which will allow students to learn more practical media skills in an industry standard environment. The set features the external frontage of a pub, a shop and two houses. A pavement and a road have also been created which will allow the students to film external scenes using a range of props, vehicles, and even a green screen.
- Our Disability Services team offers help and a range of support for any disability issues, available from application to graduation.
- We are an accessible campus: you can view a detailed accessibility guide for UCLan on the DisabledGo website.
- Well-established staff and student disabled network groups.
- To contact the Disability Advisory Service at UCLan, telephone/textphone 01772 892593, fax 01772 892939 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UCLan Student’s Union’s mission is to 'make life better for students' and our team works hard to achieve this by representing students’ views, participating in campaigns and organising events and opportunities to boost your experience at UCLan.
- The UCLan Student Union is ranked in the top three student unions in the north west in the 2014 NSS.
- A large and diverse range of sporting clubs, societies and a Get In2 programme ensures that you have plenty of opportunity to get involved, have fun, make new friends and boost your CV.
- Students can get involved in the Student Union’s student media including a weekly newspaper, monthly lifestyle magazine and radio and TV stations.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Our Opportunities Centre advertises part- and full-time jobs to fit in and around students' timetables as well as volunteering opportunities.
- Our Preston campus is close to the city centre, providing you plenty of opportunities for part-time work in shops, cafes and bars.
- The university also provides paid internships within a number of on-campus settings.
Our careers service offers careers information and advice to current students, graduates and postgraduates, including:
- 1 to 1 mock interviews
- CV drop-in clinic
- Workshops and seminars
- Online guidance
- Psychometric testing
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- In recent years, UCLan has invested over £100m in enhancing its campus environments, infrastructure and technological support for both academic and non-academic activities.
- New facilities related to this investment include: the £12.5m JB Firth Building catering for courses and research programmes in forensic science, fire engineering and chemistry; UCLan’s Olympic standard £13m Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre; the £15m Media Factory incorporating state-of-the-art facilities for digital media and performing arts students, together with a business incubator facility; and a major refurbishment of our award-winning library.
- UCLan’s £5.3m Allen Building includes some of Europe’s most advanced facilities for students studying within the School of Medicine and Dentistry.
- In 2014 UCLan joined forces with the Royal Institution of Great Britain to create the ground-breaking Young Scientist Centre, which is the first-of-its-kind outside of London.
- UCLan has announced a £200m Campus Masterplan which will blend our existing facilities with new buildings and public, green spaces, improving access for pedestrians and cyclists.
- A state-of-the-art Engineering Innovation Centre, costing more than £30m, is due to open on the Preston Campus in 2018.
Alumni notable for their work in certain fields; particularly successful or well-known alumni. UCLan is proud of its global family of former students. Notable alumni include:
- Victoria Derbyshire – broadcaster, BBC Five Live.
- Simon Kellner – former Editor of the Independent.
- Richard Frediani – Programme Editor of ITV’s early evening news programme and BAFTA winner.
- Carl Lygo – CEO and Head of BPP University College.
- Dr Waqar Azmi OBE – Chairman of Waterhouse Consulting Group and EU Ambassador of Intercultural Dialogue.
- Alfred Hitchcock – Chief Constable of Ministry of Defence Police.
- Brent Sadler – award-winning, internationally recognised Journalist and former CNN Bureau Chief to the Middle East.
- James Ducker – Northern Football Correspondent of The Times newspaper.
- Ranvir Singh – Broadcaster and News Presenter on ITV’s Daybreak.
- Tessa Chapman – Chief Correspondent for Five News at ITN.
- Asif Iqbal, MBE – Public Appointment Ambassador, Equalities Office and Cabinet Office.
- Mark Gill – Director and Oscar Academy Award nominee.
|Address||University of Central Lancashire Preston Lancashire PR1 2HE|