Top Reasons to Attend University in Glasgow
- Population 580,000
- Student population 45,000
- University of Glasgow
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- University of Strathclyde
- University of the West of Scotland
- There is a good, cheap local bus service and a reliable underground.
- Few cycle because of the hills and heavy traffic.
- London is 392 miles away, and trains take 4 hours.
- Glasgow International Airport, 7 miles to the west of the city, receives national and international flights including transatlantic flights as well as budget flights.
- Coaches depart from Buchanan Street Bus Station to all major UK cities.
Attractions for students
- Two famous football clubs, Rangers and Celtic, are based in the city and the range of participative sports includes football, rugby, sailing and skiing on the city's two dry ski slopes.
- The Trossachs and Loch Lomond are within easy reach, and rail and ferry links make the nearby islands such as Arran and Bute accessible.
Culture and nightlife
- Glasgow is home to Scottish Ballet, Scottish Opera and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. The city boasts a variety of theatres and performing and visual arts venues.
- Glaswegians are famously fond of their pubs, and the city's club scene rivals those of London and Manchester.
- Live music is very popular and numerous venues range from the SECC to the Barrowlands.
- The city is home to a great variety of classical music concerts, and has many cinemas, including four multiscreens and two independents.
- The Glasgow Science Centre features a Science Mall and an IMAX cinema.
- Glasgow's medieval roots can be explored in the Cathedral and Provand's Lordship.
- Glasgow has 35 museums and art galleries, including the famous Burrell Collection, most without an entry fee. The main Kelvingrove Museum reopened after a major refurbishment and the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art (GoMA) is a major visitor attraction.
- Shops range from the high street chains to exclude chic boutiques. A plethora of designer shops in the Buchanan Galleries, Princes Square and the Merchant City cater for the label-conscious Glaswegian.
- The Barras street market offers variety for the cash-strapped student.
Proximity to the city centre
- University of Glasgow: 3 miles from the centre in the West End.
- Glasgow Caledonian University: situated in the city centre.
- Strathclyde University: main campus in the city centre.
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.