Top Reasons to Attend University in London
- Population 8,173,000
- Student population 306,000
- Birkbeck, University of London
- Brunel University
- City University London
- The Courtauld Institute of Art
- University of East London
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- University of Greenwich
- Heythrop College
- Imperial College London
- King's College London
- Kingston University
- London Metropolitan University
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- London South Bank University
- Middlesex University
- Queen Mary, University of London
- University of Roehampton
- Royal Academy of Music
- Royal Central School of Speech & Drama, University of London
- Royal College of Music
- Royal Veterinary College
- The School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
- St George's, University of London
- University College London
- University of the Arts London
- University of West London
- University of Westminster
- Faculty of Health, Social Care and Education – Kingston University and St George's, University of London
- Open College of the Arts
- Pearson College
Whether you are interested in parks or pubs, theatres or cinemas, shopping or sightseeing, museums or art galleries, dancing non-stop throughout the weekend or eating every cuisine under the sun, London can meet your requirements.
- The city will also present you with a fairly hefty bill for most of the above, and for travel between them. That said, the diligent hunter will find bargains, but the temptation to spend is everywhere.
- Whatever bargains can be found, accommodation will be a major expense for every student. Even if rents away from the smart areas of the city centre are slightly less astronomical, travel to and from college can easily eat away any savings made although efforts by ULU (the University of London's Students' Union) mean most students can get money off bus and underground fares.
- The capital city's hectic pace can overwhelm as easily as it excites, and loneliness can be a problem in a city where you might be living miles away from your college. Nevertheless, London is justly renowned as one of the most exciting cities in the world and, for those who can strike a balance between making the most of life and avoiding spending their way to bankruptcy, it is the ideal place to be a student.
- London is well served by an extensive bus, railway and underground network with special price deals available for students.
- In many areas the roads are very busy, making cycling a hazardous occupation.
- The main airports serving London are Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and Luton.
Attractions for students
- London is such a large city with so many attractions that a description of particular activities is not given. There are many guidebooks to London.
London's universities and colleges
- Twelve separate universities. The University of London is a loose affiliation of almost 50 colleges and other institutions.
Crime in university cities
Content was accurate at the time of compilation. Population figures are compiled from the 2011 censuses for England and Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.