Top Reasons to Attend University in Nottingham
- Population 306,000
- Student population 34,000
- Buses are reasonable, and a new tram network opened in spring 2004.
- Cycle lanes and relatively flat terrain make cycling popular.
- Nottingham is easily accessible by road, rail and air. London is 122 miles away, and trains take 1 hour 45 minutes.
- The nearest airport is Nottingham East Midlands.
Attractions for students
- The National Ice Centre has two Olympic-sized rinks, whilst the National Watersport Centre at Holme Pierrepoint offers white-water rafting in addition to rowing, canoeing and water skiing.
- Test and county cricket are played at Trent Bridge.
- Nottingham is equipped with ample leisure centres and swimming pools. The nearby Peak District National Park offers excellent walking and climbing.
Culture and nightlife
- Nottingham has a thriving nightlife, from venues such as Rock City, the Rescue Rooms and the Marcus Garvey Centre catering for most musical tastes, to a good selection of clubs. Certain venues may be expensive, but there are plenty of student nights.
- Theatre is provided at the Theatre Royal and the Nottingham Playhouse and concerts at the Concert Hall. There is no shortage of cinemas, including the Savoy with its double seats and the UGC at the Cornerhouse. The Broadway Arts Cinema caters for more esoteric tastes.
- Nottingham offers a host of pubs – including the 'oldest pub in the world', the Trip to Jerusalem, dating back to 1189. The redeveloped canal side area has three bars and a comedy club.
- The Galleries of Justice is an award-winning museum of the history of crime, punishment and British justice throughout the ages.
- The annual Goose Fair is a three-day event held in October on the Forest Recreation Ground. Many of the 400 caves lying under the city are open for tours.
- The small and compact city centre offers the full range of high-street brands and designer names. Nottingham was ranked fourth in The Experian UK retail rankings.
Proximity to the city centre
- University of Nottingham: campus about 4 miles from the city centre.
Nottingham Trent University: 1 city centre campus; 2 other sites about 4 miles from the city centre.
Crime in university cities
Content was accurate at the time of compilation. Population figures are compiled from the 2011 censuses for England and Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.