Top Reasons to Attend University in Southampton
- Population 228,600
- Student population 30,000
- The city has an excellent student Uni-Link bus service that connects the campuses and a free City Link service from the train station to several key areas.
- London is 78 miles away and 1 hour 15 minutes by train.
- The coach station is near to the city centre.
- Southampton International Airport is to the north, with flights to UK and European destinations.
- Red Funnel Ferries provide a regular service from Southampton Town Quay to the Isle of Wight (Cowes).
Attractions for students
- Water sports are everywhere from yachting on the Solent to ocean racing, power boating and windsurfing. In September the city hosts its annual boat show, the largest in Europe.
- The Quays includes the Eddie Read Swimming and Diving Complex and there is a good sports centre at Bassett.
- Southampton FC has its home at Friends Provident St. Mary's Stadium, and Hampshire County Cricket Club is at the Rose Bowl.
- The city has a dry ski slope, tennis courts and all-weather pitches.
Culture and nightlife
- There is a wide range of traditional pubs and trendy bars.
- Multiscreen cinemas are the Odeon at Leisureworld and UGC at Ocean Village. The Harbour Lights Picturehouse is the independent cinema.
- The Mayflower Theatre has ballet, panto, opera and comedy. A more alternative programme is at the Nuffield on the Highfield campus. The Turner Sims Concert Hall is a leading venue for jazz, folk and classical music and the Southampton Guildhall is the large music venue. The main gallery is the City Art Gallery.
- Southampton has a number of dance venues and rock and alternative clubs. Homelands is hosted at Winchester to the north of the city.
- Known as the Emporium of the South, Southampton continues to expand as a high quality shopping centre.
- West Quay is a £300-million shopping development with all the usual brands.
- The antiques quarter is located at Old Northern Road, and traditional and specialist shopping is at Bedford Place.
- The city centre market, close to the Bargate Monument, is held every Friday and Saturday.
Proximity to the city centre
- University of Southampton: main campus at Highfield, close to city centre. School of Art is 12 miles north at Winchester.
- Southampton Solent University: at East Park Terrace in the city centre.
Crime in university cities
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.