Top Reasons to Attend University in Southampton
- Population 237,000
- Student population 30,000
- The city has an excellent student Uni-Link bus service that connects the campuses and a free City Link service from the train station to several key areas.
- London is 78 miles away and 1 hour 15 minutes by train.
- The coach station is near to the city centre.
- Southampton International Airport is to the north, with flights to UK and European destinations.
- Red Funnel Ferries provide a regular service from Southampton Town Quay to the Isle of Wight (Cowes).
Attractions for students
- Water sports are everywhere from yachting on the Solent to ocean racing, power boating and windsurfing. In September the city hosts its annual boat show, the largest in Europe.
- The Quays includes the Eddie Read Swimming and Diving Complex and there is a good sports centre at Bassett.
- Southampton FC has its home at Friends Provident St. Mary's Stadium, and Hampshire County Cricket Club is at the Rose Bowl.
- The city has a dry ski slope, tennis courts and all-weather pitches.
Culture and nightlife
- There is a wide range of traditional pubs and trendy bars.
- Multiscreen cinemas are the Odeon at Leisureworld and UGC at Ocean Village. The Harbour Lights Picturehouse is the independent cinema.
- The Mayflower Theatre has ballet, panto, opera and comedy. A more alternative programme is at the Nuffield on the Highfield campus. The Turner Sims Concert Hall is a leading venue for jazz, folk and classical music and the Southampton Guildhall is the large music venue. The main gallery is the City Art Gallery.
- Southampton has a number of dance venues and rock and alternative clubs. Homelands is hosted at Winchester to the north of the city.
- Known as the Emporium of the South, Southampton continues to expand as a high quality shopping centre.
- West Quay is a £300-million shopping development with all the usual brands.
- The antiques quarter is located at Old Northern Road, and traditional and specialist shopping is at Bedford Place.
- The city centre market, close to the Bargate Monument, is held every Friday and Saturday.
Proximity to the city centre
- University of Southampton: main campus at Highfield, close to city centre. School of Art is 12 miles north at Winchester.
- Southampton Solent University: at East Park Terrace in the city centre.
Crime in university cities
Content was accurate at the time of compilation. Population figures are compiled from the 2011 censuses for England and Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.