Coventry University2014 League Table Ranking 58
2014 Overall Score 617
View the 2014 league tables
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- University traces its history back to 1843 and the establishment of the School of Design.
- 1970 was a major landmark in the University’s history. The Lanchester Polytechnic was formed. Named after Frederick Lanchester.
- By 1980 the name was changed to Coventry Polytechnic.
- In June 1992 the Further and Higher Education Act enabled the institution to adopt the title of Coventry University.
Location and transport
- Coventry is the eighth largest city in the UK.
- A student city that is easy to get to and easy to get around.
- Only 1 hour from London by train and 20 minutes from Birmingham.
- Situated in the heart of the country, very close to Birmingham airport and several major motorways.
- Coventry University accepts a range of qualifications that enable students to progress onto undergraduate programmes.
- Degree programmes required 160–260 UCAS tariff points, depending on the subject.
- Male to Female – 52:48.
- Student to staff – 16:1.
- International students – 13%.
- Total students – 24,000 (undergraduate 19,700).
- As well as traditional degree course, Coventry offers part-time, short and Continuing Professional Development courses.
- We use lots of different teaching and assessment methods to suit different learning.
- Styles include simulation exercises, role play, and research projects on your course.
- You may be asked to prepare presentations, posters or papers for student conferences, or show off final year work; you may be asked to write essays or reports, and to do class tests or 'unseen' exams.
- Prompt feedback on assignments – we aim to get marks and comments back to you within 15 working days.
- Research Programmes commended by the QAA for the training that we provide and the attention given to career development.
- A research framework that provides you with a supervisory team who have the skills and knowledge to support and encourage your progression.
- Quality and Research Support provides expect advice, administration support, training and skills.
- A dedicated Graduate Centre as a hub for postgraduate students.
- Coventry University is an evolving and innovative university with a growing reputation for excellence in education.
- Independent surveys show that they provide a caring and supportive environment, enriched by a unique blend of academic expertise and practical experience.
- With strong vocational emphasis of courses and links with the best industry organisations, the university is firmly focussed on preparing students for successful futures.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- TheHub, the centre of student and social life on campus.
- Lanchester Library – £16-m library, home to almost 1,200 study spaces and 330 computer workstations.
- Sport and Recreation Centre.
- Dedicated Graduate Centre for Postgraduate students.
- Smart Campus, wi-fi enabled and hundreds of PCs available.
- The Disabilities Office is based in TheHub and has a team of staff who can provide advice and support on a range of issues. Telephone the Disabilities Office on 024 7765 8029 or email email@example.com.
- Academic and support staff work in partnership and aim to create an environment where disabled students are able to take an active role in the educational and social activities available at the university.
- Practical advice and support for prospective students wishing to study at Coventry.
- Coventry University Students Union is based in our new Hub building.
- An independent charity, separate from the University.
- Organises lots of social events and activities through its many sports clubs and societies.
- You can also start your own society.
- Sport and Recreation Centre, houses our new refurbished Fitness Suite.
- Students can hire sports hall to play football, volleyball, badminton, cricket, etc.
- There is also an outdoor facility where students can play football, cricket or rugby on the astro turf or pitches.
Recent/prospective new builds
- In September 2011 the new student building, TheHub, opened.
- TheHub brings together vibrant retail, catering and entertainment spaces.
- In September 2012 an iconic new Engineering and Computing Building is due to open.
Availability of part-time work
- Coventry University has its own recruitment agency for part-time work – Future works.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.