- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- Coventry University’s roots can be traced back to 1843 to the Coventry School of Design, which subsequently became known as the Coventry College of Art in 1954.
- 1970 was a landmark year – the college became Lanchester Polytechnic (named after renowned English engineer Frederick Lanchester) and then (in 1980) Coventry Polytechnic.
- In June 1992 the Further and Higher Education Act enabled the institution to adopt the title of Coventry University, and bestowed on it the powers to award its own degrees.
- Two major developments in as many years saw the university’s London Campus opened in the heart of the capital in 2010, followed in 2012 by Coventry University College.
- The latest innovative steps by Coventry University saw the opening in 2014 of the Institute for Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering – a collaboration with Unipart group – and, in 2015, the launch of its campus in Scarborough.
- Today Coventry University is the country’s leading 'modern university', with over 28,000 students and a robust academic presence regionally, nationally and across the world.
Location and Transport
- The university’s campus is in the centre of the city, with iconic sites such as Coventry Cathedral, the Herbert Art Gallery and Coventry Transport Museum on its doorstep.
- Coventry is in the heart of the West Midlands, with excellent rail links to London (one hour) and Birmingham (20 minutes) and motorway links via the nearby M6, M1 and M40.
- One of the UK’s major airports, Birmingham International, is just a 10 minute train journey away from Coventry, making the city internationally well-connected.
- The city is situated a stone’s throw from the leafy county of Warwickshire, with the historic towns of Stratford-upon-Avon (the birthplace of William Shakespeare), Warwick, Kenilworth and Royal Leamington Spa within easy reach.
- Coventry University has a long history of accepting applicants with a variety of entry qualifications. At this time of significant qualification reform, the university will endeavour to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and equally, regardless of the reform implications on their cohort.
- Coventry University makes offers for full degree courses based on 5 GCSEs and three A2 levels (or equivalent). AS levels are not usually included in these offers, and there are no plans at present to make any changes to this approach. Those applicants whose school or college chooses to purely offer the new linear A2 level will therefore not be disadvantaged in any way if applying without additional qualifications.
- Coventry University accepts a range of qualifications that enable students to progress onto undergraduate programmes.
- Entry requirements range from AAB–BCC, depending on the subject.
- Please note that the university’s entry requirements are reviewed on an annual basis, and are subject to change.
- For the most up to date information about our entry requirements, or the qualifications that we accept, please refer to the course pages on the website.
The 27,600 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 78%
- Postgraduate 22%
Mode of study
- Full Time 81%
- Part Time 19%
- UK 67%
- EU 6%
- Other 27%
- Male 53%
- Female 47%
- Our courses are designed to develop communities of practice, where many of your tutors will have experience in the field and share this learning with you.
- We actively support career development and all our courses are internationally focused, with the opportunity for you to spend time abroad working with students in other universities.
- As well as traditional degree course’s Coventry offers part-time, short and Continuing Professional Development courses.
- Learning is based on an enquiry-led approach; students investigate real world problems as a base to their theoretical learning.
- International experiences are at the base of all we do.
- Employability is embedded into all of the learning at Coventry University and is core to the student experience.
- Prompt feedback on assignments – we get marks and comments back to you within 10–15 working days.
- We are active in designing learning spaces that encourage you to achieve the very best results.
- A research framework that provides you with a supervisory team who have the skills and knowledge to support and encourage your progression.
- The Postgraduate Research Support Unit provides expert advice, administration support, training and skills.
- Coventry University is an evolving and innovative university with a growing reputation for excellence in education.
- Independent surveys show that the student experience at Coventry is excellent with very high scores for the teaching experience, assessment and feedback and personal development.
- With strong professional emphasis in our courses and links with industrial and commercial organisations, the university is firmly focused on preparing students for successful futures.
Type of Qualification:
- TheHub, the centre of student life on campus with plenty of study and social spaces including an entertainment venue, 3D cinema and food court.
- Lanchester Library – home to almost 1,400 study spaces and 550 computer workstations. The Library is a 24/7 workspace at key times of the year.
- Indoor and outdoor sport and recreation facilities.
- Smart Campus, Wi-Fi enabled and hundreds of PCs and Apple Macs available.
- The Health and Wellbeing Team is based in the Hub and provides a range of support including Counselling, Mental Health, Disability and has a Medical Centre on campus.
- There is also a Spirituality and Faith Centre for staff and students from all faiths or no faith.
- Coventry University Students’ Union is based in the Hub.
- An independent charity, separate from the University and is a democratic, student led organisation.
- Some 150 student clubs and societies operate to create an amazing social environment.
- More than 1000 students act as course and social representatives, working to make the university even more student focused.
- There is an independent and confidential advice service for all students.
- The volunteering service in the Students’ Union provides over 2000 opportunities to be involved in the local community’s schools, charity organisations and community groups.
- Major cultural and social events are organised celebrating the diversity of the membership; Chinese New Year, Black Students’ awards, and nationality days for many countries.
- Large scale entertainments events such as the Summer Ball are coordinated with local providers.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Coventry University has its own recruitment agency for part-time work (FutureWorks).
- The university offers a great deal of opportunities during study and after study for students to work with us.
The Central Careers Team supports undergraduate and postgraduate students to:
- Define a successful career path and make sustainable transitions into work through personalised careers guidance provision.
- Navigate the range of work and study options available, including internships, volunteering and post-graduate study.
- Practice and produce high quality job applications.
- Access Coventry University’s strong links with national & international recruiters and industry representatives through a range of engagement events.
- Link with additional university employability services, including specialists in global experience, accredited placements, entrepreneurship and enterprise.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- In September 2011 the new student building, the Hub, opened. Typically used by 4000 students per day it is also home to a variety of student services such as careers, health and wellbeing, chaplaincy, student union. The Hub brings together vibrant retail, catering and entertainment spaces.
- In September 2012 an iconic new Engineering and Computing Building opened to students.
- 2014 saw the introduction of the Disruptive Media Lab in Lanchester Library, an interactive new work-space for students and staff. The ground and first floors have been remodelled to create new and additional study spaces for students.
- A new super-laboratory for Health and Life Sciences will be opening in 2017, creating a collaborative research environment for students and researchers.
- The ground floor of the William Morris building has had its entrances and teaching rooms updated including a trading room. The Richard Crossman building has also been remodelled to create a teaching space on the ground floor, a Psychology Research Centre on the third floor and a new interdisciplinary research base on the fourth floor.
- Priory Hall student residence has been completely refurbished. Singer Hall is currently under refurbishment and new purpose build student accommodation is in development for 2017 and 2018.
- Charles Morgan – former Managing Director of Morgan Motor Company.
- Debbie Isitt – film director (Nativity, Confetti).
- Jimmy Doherty – entrepreneur and TV personality (Jimmy’s Farm, Jimmy’s Food Factory).
- Ian Callum – Design Director for Jaguar.
- Gerry McGovern – Design Director and Chief Creative Officer for Land Rover.
- Kevin De La Noy – film producer (The Dark Knight Rises).
- Mark Fetherston – automotive designer (Exterior designer from Mercedes Benz).
- Steve Rogers – Director, Google.
- David Yelland – journalist and former editor of The Sun.
- Julian Jenkins – GM Global Business Development at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars.
- Matthew Macklin – middleweight boxer.
- Gideon Coe – Radio 6 Presenter.
- Neil Carson – Former CEO of Johnson Matthey PLC
- Jerry Dammers – musician and founder of the Specials.
- Mike Farley – former CEO of Persimmon PLC.
- Christopher Townsend – Visual Effects Supervisor (Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron).
- Andrea McLean – TV Presenter and Co-Anchor on ITV’s Loose Women.
- Daniel Dalton – MEP.
|Address||Coventry University Priory Street Coventry CV1 5FB|