University of East Anglia2014 League Table Ranking 20
2014 Overall Score 795
View the 2014 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
Pre-arrival and orientation
- The University of East Anglia’s International Student Advice Team organise and deliver an Arrivals and Orientation schedule for all new international students to UEA. International Arrivals and Orientation is held the week before term starts. Our aim is to help our students to settle in and get adjusted to life in the UK and at UEA as quickly as possible.
- Information and activities encompass a Pre-Departure Guide which provides useful and practical details about obtaining a visa, travelling to Norwich and the University campus, healthcare, money, and much more. Students are also encouraged to view and enjoy two short videos which have been produced to help them prepare and get ready for their arrival at UEA.
- Pre-arrival, students are also invited to join our International Students Community at UEA Facebook page. Our aim is to provide all new students with the opportunity to link up with each other, and also to link up with current UEA students, before they arrive at the University. We also post useful information about what is happening in and around campus on to this page so that students can really start to feel part of our community.
- During Arrival Week, our International Student Advice Team will be welcoming students, organising an orientation programme and holding a variety of events and activities to ensure that students have access to all of the information they need and to give everybody a chance to meet with other new international students.
- At this stage, new international students will also be offered the opportunity to apply for a UK buddy, through the International Team’s UEA Friends scheme, to help them settle into the University.
- Individual Schools of Study will also have their own induction schedule and the UEA Student Union will be holding many events and opportunities to meet current students and to sign up for the multitude of interesting and exciting clubs and societies.
- At UEA, we invite our international students to arrive a few days before the rest of the student body. Our experience informs us that these extra few days really help our international students to settle in and make the transition to the UK and University-life as easy as possible before their course starts.
- Our specific International Student Arrival Days help to support new international students who are living in campus accommodation at the University. Students are welcomed to UEA, assisted in gaining their room key and in locating their accommodation block – and also helped with their luggage! We will also provide information and details about what activities will be taking place over the next few days, as well as information to help students to familiarise themselves with Norwich and the UK. International students who have chosen to live off-campus are invited to the University to join in the scheduled activities and to collect any further information they may need.
- During Arrival Week, our International Student Advice Team works closely with UEA’s Student Union to organise a wide variety of events and activities to help ensure that our international students enjoy a warm and stimulating welcome. Activities include UEA Campus Tours, Lifestyle Events (e.g. to ensure students are well-equipped to cook for themselves, etc), Walking Tours and Themed Trails to help familiarise students with the City of Norwich, and Regional Trips (e.g. to Cambridge).
- Our Orientation Programme also provides international students with the opportunity to hear short presentations about the variety of services available to them across the University campus. For example, these include presentations about how to register at the UEA Medical Centre, how the UK university education system works, and about opening a UK bank account, etc. Students will also receive essential information about all of the Student Services available.
- The University of East Anglia offers some of the best student accommodation in the UK. There are around 3,500 student rooms available, including a small number of two bedroom units for students with families. All study rooms are self-catering and each is connected to the University’s computer network for free and fast access to the internet (included in the accommodation cost).
- All international students have the option to apply for accommodation at the University and in the centre of Norwich.
- Information about accommodation located on the University of East Anglia campus may be accessed from www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation.
- Information about accommodation located in the Norwich area may be accessed from www.ueastudent.com/housing.
- Subject to certain eligibility criteria, all first year international students new to UEA are guaranteed accommodation as a single student in University residences. Further information may be accessed from www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/applyforroom/eligibility.
- International students are spread evenly within halls of residence.
- All residences on the University’s campus are no more than a few minutes’ walk from each other. Please access the UEA campus map to view accommodation locations.
- Residences based in Norwich are within easy walking/cycling distance.
- Students do not have to move out of their accommodation each vacation. All students are required to sign an accommodation contract. The Licence sets out your room details, the exact dates of the licence period and the complete licence fee. The minimum licence period is 38 weeks. Further information is available on the website.
- The University offers a variety of accommodation options and prices. The cost of a standard single campus room for the minimum licence period of 38 weeks for 2012–13 is £2,508.08 £2,573.48. Read more about UEA accommodation options.
English language requirement
- All of our undergraduate courses require at least a score of IELTS 6.0/TOEFL internet-based 80/PTE 55, or equivalent.
- Please note that some courses require a higher score – international students are advised to check the specific details for the course(s) in which they are interested.
Scholarships and bursaries
- All international students can be considered for a scholarship of between 10 and 50% of tuition fees.
- Further scholarships are available, some even covering 100% of tuition fees, depending on the course.
International Student Breakdown
Further information for international undergraduate degree students
University of East Anglia
Norwich Research Park
Norwich NR4 7TJ UK
- Tel: +44 1603 593280
- Fax: +44 1603 458596
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.uea.ac.uk/international/contact
Why study at the University of East Anglia?
- The University of East Anglia provides the perfect balance between academic excellence and a brilliant student experience.
- Through our world leading research, enviable location, and unique sense of community, we strive to offer students a truly special time with us. At UEA, you don't just get an education; you make friends for life, gain an unparalleled knowledge of your subject area, and create memories you will never forget.
- Further information about UEA's unique selling points and special features may be accessed from www.uea.ac.uk/why.
- No overseas campus.
Student organisations for international students
- All students at the University of East Anglia are actively invited to join the clubs and societies offered by the Union of UEA Students. There is also a specific International Student Society. Get more information at www.ueastudent.com/clubsoc.
- All students are also actively encouraged to seek advice and reassurance from our Student Services and the International Student Advisory Team. See more information at www.uea.ac.uk/services/students/international.
Advice for International Students
- General Advice
- British University History, Culture & the Weather
- Applying to a British University
- Entry and Employment Regulations
- English Language Tests and Requirements
- Managing Your Money
- Student Jobs
- Student Accommodation
International Students in the UK
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.