Edinburgh Napier University2016 League Table Ranking 92
2016 Overall Score 554
View the 2016 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Edinburgh Napier opened its doors as Napier Technical College in 1964, amalgamating with Napier College of Science & Technology and Edinburgh College of Commerce in 1974, before being awarded university status in 1992.
In 2014 Edinburgh Napier University celebrated its 50th birthday
- Merchiston Campus is built around the site of the 13th-century Napier Tower, home of John Napier, the inventor of algorithms.
- Craiglockhart Campus houses the War Poets Collection, a dedicated exhibition documenting the works of Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon who met at Craiglockhart campus when it was used as a hospital for the treatment of shell-shocked officers during the First World War.
- On 25 February 2009, Napier University re-launched as Edinburgh Napier University. This was the culmination of a lengthy process of parliamentary approval and is a landmark in the University's history.
- The University’s Building Performance Centre was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2009 for Higher and Further Education.
Location and Transport
- Based in Edinburgh, one of the most vibrant and beautiful cities in the world (and home to around 100,000 students!)
- Multi-campus modern university, based on three main campuses in Edinburgh at Merchiston, Craiglockhart and Sighthill.
- Frequent local bus services to every campus.
- Each course description in the prospectus gives a guide to the minimum entry requirements and the number of UCAS points required.
- International students should contact the International Office for a list of accepted qualifications and English language requirements.
- If you're over 21 the standard requirements may not apply – please contact an Admissions Tutor before applying.
- Read more about entry standards at Edinburgh Napier University online.
The 12,690 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of study|
|Mode of study|
- Edinburgh Napier offers flexible learning through full-time, part-time and distance learning options.
- See individual course outlines for details of the study modes offered.
- 95.4% of Edinburgh Napier University students are in work or further study within six months of graduating. (Data based on HESA 2013.)
- The University has six dedicated Institutes of Research and Innovation to streamline business access to our services and provide a rapid, responsive, customer-focused service.
- The UK-wide 2014 Research Assessment Exercise reported that many areas of Edinburgh Napier's research are world-leading or of international excellence. More information can be found on the website.
- Edinburgh Napier University is one of the largest higher education institutions in the country with over 18,000 students from 117 different countries.
- Edinburgh Napier is a leading, professional university committed to excellence in teaching, learning, research and transferring our knowledge to business. Our graduates make a real contribution to employers and to the economic development and quality of life of their communities. Our research focuses on specialist areas aligned with the present and future needs of businesses, ensuring it has an immediate economic impact, contributes to business improvement and produces positive effects for the economy and society in the future.
- We offer industry informed courses which combine the optimum balance of theory and practice, so that our graduates can 'hit the ground running' with their careers.
- Our contemporary cross disciplinary courses are aligned to today's job market and economic needs. For example, Digital Forensics, Screenwriting, Environmental Sustainability, Festival and Event Management and Sport Performance Enhancement.
- Over 100 Edinburgh Napier courses are accredited by a wide range of professional bodies.
- A new five-storey learning resource centre opened at our Sighthill Campus in January 2011.
- Access to over 1,250 PCs and 150 Macs on the various campuse, including the 500-PC Jack Kilby Computing Centre open 24/7.
- Laptop hire service and wi-fi access at all main campuses.
- Access to networked resources 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including: Moodle – the Virtual Learning Environment where you can find online lecture notes, Edinburgh Napier student portal, individual Edinburgh Napier email account, secure storage areas to file work, library system for checking catalogues and reserving books, access to update personal information and see view results.
- State of the art multi-media language labs and Adaptive Technology Centre for students with special needs.
Fully networked library at each campus including 'in-form' an innovative information skills learning package
- The TV and Radio facilities at Merchiston are industry standard and there is also a converged newsroom that aims to help students develop the skills it takes to be a good broadcast and multi-platform journalist.
- Brand new music studios opened at the Merchiston Campus in 2013.
- Sighthill Campus facilities include: a 22,000sqm student-focused campus including a learning resource centre, clinical skills laboratories, IT-enabled lecture theatres and seminar rooms as well as integrated sports facilities. Nine clinical skills laboratories – such as lifelike Hospital Wards including High Dependency Unit (HDU) simulator suites which mimic intensive care treatment areas for training nurses, will lead the way in Scotland for cross sector clinical skills education. There are also state-of-the-art crime scene and forensics rooms.
- The University has Edinburgh's first dedicated video games lab. Set in Merchiston Campus, the lab has been designed primarily as a resource for students on the University’s new BSc in Interactive Entertainment. It features 24 networked Xbox 360s and PCs, a 50-inch plasma screen and large projected screen, as well as robotics development capabilities.
- The Special Needs team is available to discuss how learning support and other needs can be met. Meetings can be arranged for prospective students to visit the university before they arrive to study to visit the campuses and meet staff.
- The Napier Union bar for 2014–15 is located at the The Three Sisters in the Cowgate area of Edinburgh. This is the social hub for the university where you can come along for food, drink, pool, regular events and much more 7 days a week, open until 3am!
- The Union Bar is also where the NSA holds many of its events such as Napier’s Got Talent, Student vs Food, the official pre-parties to the weekly Napier club night. This is just a selection of the many events we hold during the year.
- The [EN]GAGE Sports Centre at the Sighthill Campus features a 200m2 fitness suite with the latest state-ofthe-art equipment, from Life Fitness treadmills to Olympic weight lifting platforms. If you prefer getting fit with your friends, our 12002 sports hall is available to book for sporting activities such as football, basketball, badminton and table tennis.
- [EN]GAGE provides a home for our many indoor sports clubs as well as labs for sports students, including a biomechanics laboratory and an environmental chamber which can recreate high altitude conditions with controllable temperature and humidity levels to simulate varying climatic conditions.
- Edinburgh Napier Students Association (see above) offer access to a range of sports clubs and societies from snow sports to football.
- [EN]GAGE now has a space at the Craiglockhart Campus which hosts a number of fitness classes.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- As part of the University’s £100-m investment in the future, the Sighthill Campus was redeveloped to provide cutting edge facilities for the Faculty of Health, Life & Social Sciences together for the first time. Students moved into the redeveloped Sighthill Campus in January 2011.
- Craiglockhart Campus re-opened in 2004, combining stunning modern architecture with the historic original 19th-century buildings and offering a great range of facilities including computer suites, language labs and social space.
- The Merchiston co-location project was completed in February 2013. The revamp created a new reception complex facing on to Colinton Road, which also provides bespoke gallery space to display student work. There are new sound-proofed, state-of-the-art music studios to the rear of the campus.
General update on the new student flats
- Centrally located in the city centre.
- Close by retail and leisure outlets.
- Ten minutes to the city centre.
- Modern well-equipped flat development.
- 778 beds – all en suite facilities.
- Broadband and wi-fi included.
- Flats of 5 to 8 students in each cluster.
- Communal laundry.
- Student facility close by providing communal study and lounge area for the students staying in the flats.
- Facility will be manned by accommodation staff and security 24/7.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- As a very student-centric city, Edinburgh offers plenty of opportunities for part-time employment during term time.
- Edinburgh Napier University provides a careers service for students, including 24/7 online access to search for part-time work using the Prospects Net shared vacancy system and a Careers Education Programme which includes help with CVs, applications, aptitude tests and job interviews.
- All Edinburgh Napier’s courses aim to develop confident, employable graduates with effective attitudes to knowledge, learning, citizenship and the world of work.
- 1:1 advice and guidance
- CV Doctor
- Online contact with a careers adviser
- Assessment center preparation
- Access to current graduate vacancies
- Workshops to help you get a graduate job on topics such as:
- Social media to make career connections
- How to sell your strengths
- How to make Stand Out job applications
Total Active Alumni: 72,829
UK Alumni: 52,621
International Alumni: 20,208
- Athletics star Lynsey Sharp.
- Bollywood star Sharmila Tagore.
- Chef Tom Kitchin.
- Scottish rugby star Chris Paterson.
- Tavish Scott MSP.
- BBC broadcaster Catriona Shearer.
- Photographers David Eustace and Colin Baxter and film director Lynne Ramsay are amongst the Edinburgh Napier University Alumni family.
- Edinburgh Napier confers honorary degrees on distinguished individuals across a wide range of fields. Those recognised include Sir Sean Connery, J. K. Rowling OBE, Sir Bill Gammell, Prof Anne Glover CBE, Dr Nigel Planer, Dr Christpher Brookmyre, Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies, Dr Lindsay Stewart OBE, and Sir Jackie Stewart.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.