Goldsmiths, University of London2015 League Table Ranking 50
2015 Overall Score 675
View the 2015 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Founded in 1891.
- Part of the University of London for over 100 years.
Location and Transport
- Located in vibrant, urban New Cross, southeast London.
- Excellent transport links to Central London – just 15 minutes away by train. The recently extended London Overground provides quick links to East London and North London.
- Find out about entry requirements at Goldsmiths on the website.
- Women:men 65:35.
- Domicile: UK = 76%; other EU = 10%; international (non-EU) = 14%.
- Goldsmiths achieved above average scores for teaching in the National Student Survey.
- Recent world university rankings have placed Goldsmiths in the world's top 100, and the UK's top 20 universities for arts and humanities.
- Many academics are leaders in their fields and write the books that are on the reading lists.
- Diverse, high quality research.
- League tables arising from the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise place Goldsmiths within the top 35 of research-intensive universities, and when it comes to the very peak of world-leading research (shown by the top 4* grade), Goldsmiths comes an impressive ninth. Sociology was placed joint first in the country, and in Media and Communications 80% of research activity was placed in the highest two bands.
- Internationally known for creativity and innovation.
- Radical and unconventional approaches to subjects.
- An emphasis on enterprise and entrepreneurship, and on equipping students with creative and critical thinking skils.
- Award-winning Rutherford Building, housing library, computer work stations and media services.
- Library open until midnight during term time, and is open 24 hours a day during some periods.
- Academic departments have impressive facilities to aid students' learning, including specialist laboratories and workshops, a 160-seat theatre, and a radio and film/TV studio.
- Information about the disability services at Goldsmiths can be found on the website or by emailing email@example.com.
- Diverse, vibrant, award-winning organisation providing a range of services and student development opportunities.
- Offers volunteering opportunities, student media, representation, clubs, societes, advice, meeting rooms, sports facilities and entertainment.
- Goldsmiths students can also use the facilities at the University of London Union (ULU) in central London.
- State-of-the-art fitness gym on campus, with subsidised rates for students.
- Wide range of clubs and sporting classes offered by the Students' Union.
- The College Green is used for rugby and football training.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- The New Academic Building opened in September 2010, containing two large lecture theatres, an IT teaching room, meeting spaces and a café with outside seating. The building is the new purpose-built centre for the Department of Media and Communications, and also contains Goldsmiths’ Institute for Creative and Cultural Entrepreneurship.
- Mercury Prize nominees Katy B and James Blake, Alex James and Graham Coxon (Blur), Antony Gormley, Sam Taylor-Wood, Margaret Howell, Lucian Freud, Damien Hirst, Julian Clary, Ian Rickson, Tessa Jowell, Malcolm McLaren, Mary Quant.
- Six winners of the Turner Prize have been Goldsmiths graduates
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.