University of Greenwich2014 League Table Ranking 95
2014 Overall Score 518
View the 2014 league tables
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- The university traces its roots back to Woolwich Polytechnic, Britain's second polytechnic, opened in 1890.
- University status awarded in 1992.
Location and transport
- The main campus is housed in the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich, designed by Sir Christopher Wren - only 10 minutes from central London by train.
- The Avery Hill campus is set in 35 hectares (86 acres) of parkland. Half is set around a Victorian mansion the other includes two new buildings.
- Medway is a shared campus with the University of Kent and Canterbury Christ Church University, housed in Edwardian listed buildings in Chatham Maritime.
- Average total tariff for first degree students 202.2.
- Average total tariff for first degree students holding A/AS levels only 210.2.
- Men 47%, women 53%.
- Home 85%, overseas 15%.
- State 97%, public 3%.
- Students are to benefit from 17 new lecturers at the University of Greenwich.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- Greenwich was placed the fifth highest UK university in the most recent People & Planet Green League.
- New university gym and refurbished café at the Avery Hill campus.
- Refurbished café at the Medway campus.
- The Drill Hall Library at the Medway campus is an impressive refurbished naval building shared with Kent and Canterbury Christ Church universities.
- Visit the website for information about the the Disability and Dyslexia Service at the University of Greenwich.
- Telephone 020 8331 7875, textphone 020 8331 8581 or email email@example.com.
- Represents students at all three campuses.
- Students at Medway also benefit from the services of joint students' union for all at the shared campus.
- Greenwich won both the womens' and mens' boat races on the River Medway last year.
Recent/prospective new builds
- Greenwich has started work on a new School of Architecture & Construction together with a library at Stockwell Street, in the heart of Greenwich town centre.
Availability of part-time work
- University Jobshop offers employment inside and outside the university, as well as work experience and placements.
- The Greenwich campus is near to the employment opportunities of the Docklands, Greenwich town centre and the new O2 Arena.
- Visit the website for more information on the availability of part-time work at the University of Greenwich.
- Nobel prize winner Charles Kao for his work on fibre optic technology.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.