Heriot-Watt University2014 League Table Ranking 40
2014 Overall Score 713
View the 2014 league tables
Pre-arrival and orientation
- Heriot-Watt's International Student Advisors Office provide airport pick ups at key times at the start of each semester and a programme of welcome/orientation events.
- These events cover subjects such as health and well being, working while you study, getting connected, tours around Edinburgh, etc. More information is available on the website.
- Accommodation is guaranteed for all new students provided a booking is made by the deadline of 22 August.
- All new students arriving in semester 1 (September) are guaranteed a room on campus. This guarantee cannot always be offered to students who arrive in semester 2 (January).
- All university accommodation is on the campus.
- Both catered and self-catered accommodation is available. There is wi-fi in all the university buildings and high speed broadband in all student accommodation.
- International students are spread across the accommodation so that they are able to meet students from different countries and different courses of study.
- Students do not have to move out of their accommodation during vacations – they can choose to sign a 40-week or 52-week contract and can stay through the Christmas and Easter breaks.
- The price of accommodation varies from £76 to £125 per week, depending on what type of accommodation the students choose (2011–12).
English language requirement
For most programmes as below, although there are some exceptions – please check with the relevant academic school of the university:
- UG students: IELTS 6.0; TOEFL 79–89; PTE 59; Cambridge FCE.
- PG students: IELTS 6.5; TOEFL 90–99; PTE 75; Cambridge CAE.
- There are some exemptions for students who have previously undertaken degree level study in English or who have followed a high school programme of A levels or IB.
Scholarships and bursaries
- Most academic schools offer scholarships for international students in the form of a fee reduction, usually of approximately 15%.
- These are based largely on academic merit but financial circumstances are also taken into account.
- Students must hold an offer from the university first and should then contact the relevant academic school for more information.
International Student Breakdown
Further information for international undergraduate degree students
Mary Garbouj, International Recruitment Coordinator
- Tel: 0131 451 3707
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.hw.ac.uk/student-life/international/study-in-the-uk.htm
Why study at Heriot-Watt University?
- Heriot-Watt University offers specialised and technical courses that are closely linked with industry.
- The university has a graduate employment rate of over 92%.
- It is situated in the fabulous and vibrant capital city of Scotland – Edinburgh.
- The university has a campus in Dubai. Please see the website for more information.
Student organisations for international students
- The Heriot-Watt University Students Association has several groups and clubs specifically for international students. There are also multi-faith facilities on the campus.
Advice for International Students
- General Advice
- British University History, Culture & the Weather
- Applying to a British University
- Entry and Employment Regulations
- English Language Tests and Requirements
- Managing Your Money
- Student Jobs
- Student Accommodation
International Students in the UK
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.