University of Huddersfield2014 League Table Ranking 63
2014 Overall Score 606
View the 2014 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Established in 1825 as the Huddersfield Scientific and Mechanic Institute.
- The university has a long and proud tradition of providing education.
- Sir George Buckley – former Chairman, President and CEO, 3M.
- Sir John Harman – former Chairman of the Environment Agency.
- Captain Lisa Head (deceased) – 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment.
- Sally Nugent – journalist for BBC.
- Kavita Oberoi – Managing Director, Oberoi Consulting.
Location and transport
- A town centre campus, a few minutes walk from one of the largest towns in the UK, with all of the sporting, cultural and social amenities you would expect from a major regional centre.
- Conveniently placed for all the major centres in the north of England. At the heart of rail and motorway networks.
- Visit the website for information about entry standards at Huddersfield.
- Undergraduates: 53% women, 47% men.
- Undergraduates: 9% from outside the UK.
- Excellent teaching quality.
- Pattern of excellent performances in every National Student Survey with around 80 per cent of scores at or above the national average
- In the 2008 RAE, most of the areas in which Huddersfield entered contained world-leading work.
- A third of the university’s submission was placed in the top two categories, with music and social work being among the exceptional performers.
- Result of the 2008 RAE was a 45 per cent increase in research funding.
- Centre of Excellence in Teacher Training.
- Centre for Industrial Collaboration in Precision Technology.
- As well as the Research Standards strengths, the university is strong in sciences, notably chemistry.
- Emphasis on work placements in almost all course areas has resulted in exceptionally high figures for graduate employment – Huddersfield is now 16th in Unistats league.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- The university's learning resources (computing and library support for students, and the quality of the estate) continue to be highly rated.
- The university met or exceeded the national average in every case (NSS).
- For information on the disability services at Huddersfield, telephone 01484 472675, email email@example.com or visit the website.
- The Sports Hall at the Huddersfield campus includes a 30-station fitness centre, two squash courts, male and female changing rooms and a five-court sports hall utilised for many indoor sports and a fitness programme.
- There is also a floodlit astroturf pitch and grass pitches at Storthes Hall Student Village. This site is managed by Hudderfield's partner Shelley FC.
Recent/prospective new builds
- 3M Buckley Innovation Centre, completed in 2012.
- Newly acquired and remodelled Queens Street Studio for Architecture, Interior and Product Design students opened in September 2011.
- Design and construction of a £21.5-million Learning and Leisure Centre to be opened in spring 2014, to fully integrate with the recently remodelled Library and Central Computing Facility.
- £17-million Business School opened September 2010.
- Innovative and environmentally friendly Creative Arts Building including rehearsal spaces and a recital hall, opened in 2008.
Availability of part-time work
- Good availability.
- University runs a job bureau to help students find good quality part-time jobs with local employers.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.