University of Huddersfield2016 League Table Ranking 74
2016 Overall Score 612
View the 2016 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- The University has a long and proud tradition of providing education since 1825.
- In 1992 the institution changed its named from Huddersfield Polytechnic to the University of Huddersfield.
- In November 2003 Sir Patrick Stewart became the Chancellor of the University.
Location and Transport
- A town centre campus, a few minutes walk from Huddersfield, one of the largest towns in the UK. It has all the sporting, cultural and social amenities you would expect from a major regional centre.
- Conveniently placed with excellent rail and road links. Huddersfield is on the M62 corridor and the mainline railway meaning easy access to all major centres in the North of England.
- Visit the website for information about entry standards at Huddersfield.
A-Level and GCSE Requirements
- The Admissions policy on A level, AS Level and GCSE requirements can be found on our website.
The 19,175 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of study|
|Mode of study|
- Among the UK’s top providers of sandwich courses (12-month paid work placement).
- International Foundation Year allows progression to a variety of degrees at the University. International Year One is an advanced course of study equivalent to the first year of a degree.
- Study and work abroad opportunities and also as part of Erasmus.
- Strong links with overseas universities including the USA, Hong Kong and South Korea.
- Applications can be made for research degrees study at any time of the year, normally to commence in January or October each year.
- Many courses allow students to choose a modern language as an additional module.
- The first University in the UK where 100% of teaching staff are Fellows of the Higher Education Academy.
- The course content, the qualifications and skills provided by the University are all approved by Professional accreditation such as RIBA, ACCA and IET.
- UK’s leading university for the receipt of National Teaching Fellowships to mark Britain’s best teachers for the past seven years.
- The University of Huddersfield has a reputation for teaching excellence and employability and it is in the top 10 of all UK universities for both.
- The University was judged to have world-leading research across the four main areas: Biomedical sciences, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Social sciences and Arts and Humanities.
- Home to 6 cross-disciplinary research institutes including the Turbocharger Research Institute, the Institute of Railway Research and the Institute for Research in Citizenship and Applied Human Sciences.
- The UK’s only university where 100 per cent of teaching staff are Fellows of the Higher Education Academy.
- Strong partnerships with industry and practice, including the 3M Buckley Innovation Centre, AstraZeneca and the NHS.
- A continuing focus on work placements means that 100% of our students undertake professional work experience during their studies.
- Times Higher Education University of the Year Award in 2013 for demonstrating exceptional performance in the past academic year.
- Fifth in the UK for student satisfaction (National Student Survey, 2012).
- Best University in the world for student experience (International Student Barometer, 2011).
- Student Central, a new learning and leisure centre opened in 2014 with access to all student services including the library as well as sport, eating and the SU all under one roof.
- The library contains over 500 state of the art PCs and Macs as well as over 300,000 books and journals with millions in digital format. The Library is open 7 days a week during term time and the computer lab is open 24 hours a day all year round. Free Wi-fi access is available throughout the campus. The computer lab is open 24 hours a day all year round.
- University Health Centre and a Podiatry Clinic with all the very latest clinical facilities.
- There is a branch of Santander Bank on campus.
- Heritage Quay, the new official archive for the University of Huddersfield.
- Disability Services work alongside students to get the right support in place for their studies.
- They offer confidential advice and guidance to students and encourage them to discuss their specific requirements.
- They coordinate their support which can include adjustments for teaching and assessments, linking students with support workers, assistance with a Disabled Students’ Allowance application and assessment or access to other services at the University.
- For information visit our website.
- The Students' Union is a charity based on campus, led by students for students, which exists to make student life better.
- Located in the heart of campus, but completely separate to the University, the Students’ Union ensures that students have an independent voice concerned only with their interests.
- The Students’ Union also runs an advice centre, over 100 sports clubs and societies, volunteering opportunities, a letting agency, a shop, as well as running huge events such as Freshers’, Elections and Varsity.
- There really is something for everyone to get involved in at Huddersfield Students’ Union.
- An eight-court sports hall with the ability to transform into an 850 spectator arena.
- A two-storey fitness centre with over 84 stations with the latest Technogym Artis equipment.
- Two glass backed squash courts, two large dance and fitness studios.
- Treatment areas for physiotherapy and beauty therapy.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- £27.5-million building for School of Law and the School of Music, Humanities and Media will be completed by September 2016.
- £21.5-million Student Central building opened in 2014.
- £3-million Buckley Innovation Centre, completed in 2012.
- £17-million Business School opened September 2010.
- Environmentally friendly Creative Arts Building opened in 2008.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The Student JobShop advertises full and part time vacancies. It’s the University's online vacancies service for both current students and graduates.
- JobShop is available both online and in the form of our JobShop Resource Wall. Full details are available via the careers website www.hud.ac.uk/careers where final year students can find graduate jobs and part-time/casual jobs that allow students to work and earn while they study.
- Support from a professionally qualified and experienced award-winning careers team.
- We offer careers appointments, workshops and dropins all year round.
- Students can receive help from us for up to three years after graduation.
- We have bookable guidance appointments where students can discuss career planning, career management and employability skills, applications, employer research and further study.
- Email, telephone or Skype guidance is also available.
- Sir George Buckley – former Chairman, President and CEO, 3M.
- Sir John Harman – former Chairman of the Environment Agency.
- Captain Lisa Head (deceased) – 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment.
- Sally Nugent – journalist for BBC.
- Kavita Oberoi – Managing Director, Oberoi Consulting.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.