University of Huddersfield
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 2.65 / 4.00
- 4.13 / 5.00
- 73.6 / 100.0
- 81.8 / 100.0
- 65.1 / 100.0
- The university has a long and proud tradition of providing education since 1825.
- In 1992 the institution changed its named from Huddersfield Polytechnic to the University of Huddersfield.
- In July 2015 His Royal Highness The Duke of York, KG became the Chancellor of the University of Huddersfield.
Location and Transport
- A town centre campus, a few minutes walk from Huddersfield, one of the largest towns in the UK. It has all the sporting, cultural and social amenities you would expect from a major regional centre.
- Conveniently placed with excellent rail and road links. Huddersfield is on the M62 corridor and the mainline railway meaning easy access to all major centres in the North of England.
- Visit the website for information about entry standards at Huddersfield.
- Our admissions policy on A level, AS Level and GCSE requirements can also be found on our website.
The 19,620 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 77%
- Postgraduate 23%
Mode of study
- Full Time 77%
- Part Time 23%
- UK 84%
- EU 5%
- Other 12%
- Male 43%
- Female 57%
- Among the UK’s top providers of paid work placements.
- International Foundation Year allows progression to a variety of degrees at the university. International Year One is an advanced course of study equivalent to the first year of a degree.
- Study and work abroad opportunities and also as part of Erasmus+.
- Strong links with overseas universities including the USA, Hong Kong and China.
- Applications can be made for research degrees study at any time of the year, normally to commence in January or September each year.
- Many courses allow students to choose a modern language as an additional module.
- The UK's only university where 100% of teaching staff are Fellows of the Higher Education Academy.
- Many of our courses hold professional accreditation including RIBA, ACCA and IET.
- UK’s leading university for the receipt of National Teaching Fellowships to mark Britain’s best lecturers in Higher Education for the past eight years.
- The University of Huddersfield has world-leading applied research groups in biomedical sciences, engineering and physical sciences, social sciences and arts and humanities.
- The University of Huddersfield is a dynamic institution that has quadrupled our research income and its postgraduate researchers in seven years.
- The UK’s only university where 100% of teaching staff are Fellows of the Higher Education Academy.
- Strong partnerships with industry and practice, including the 3M Buckley Innovation Centre, AstraZeneca and the NHS.
- A continuing focus on work placements means that 100% of our students have the opportunity to undertake professional work experience during their studies.
- Named the New University of the Year in 2015 at the Educate North Awards.
- Student Central is a learning and leisure centre which opened in 2014 with access to all student services including the library as well as sport facilities, a number of eating outlets including Starbucks and the Students' Union all under one roof.
- The library contains over 500 PCs and Macs as well as over 300,000 books and journals with millions in electronic format. The library is open 7 days a week during term time and the computer lab is open 24 hours a day all year round. For some periods throughout the year, the library is also open 24 hours a day. Free wi-fi access is available throughout the campus.
- University Health Centre and a Podiatry Clinic.
- There is a branch of Santander Bank on campus.
- Heritage Quay, the official archive for the University of Huddersfield.
- Disability Services work alongside students to get the right support in place for their studies.
- They offer confidential advice and guidance to students and encourage them to discuss their specific requirements.
- They coordinate their support which can include adjustments for teaching and assessments, linking students with support workers, assistance with a Disabled Students’ Allowance application and assessment or access to other services at the university.
- The Students' Union is a charity based on campus, led by students for students, which exists to make student life better.
- Located in the heart of campus, but completely separate to the university, the Students’ Union ensures that students have an independent voice concerned only with their interests.
- The Students’ Union also runs an advice centre, over 100 sports clubs and societies, volunteering opportunities, a letting agency, a shop, as well as running huge events such as Freshers’, Elections and Varsity.
- There really is something for everyone to get involved in at Huddersfield Students’ Union.
Availability of Part-Time Work
The university's online vacancies service, the JobShop advertises good quality vacancies for University of Huddersfield students and graduates, including:
- Insight days
- Summer vacation schemes
- Part-time jobs
- Graduate jobs
JobShop is available both online and in the form of our JobShop wall in the careers centre, students and graduates can login to access all available opportunities from the careers homepage.
- The university's Careers Service offers a range of support and guidance to University of Huddersfield students and graduates. More information is available on our website.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- £27.5m Oastler building for Law and Humanities students is currently under development.
- £21.5m Student Central building opened in 2014.
- £3m Buckley Innovation Centre, completed in 2012.
- £17m Business School opened September 2010.
- Environmentally friendly Creative Arts Building opened in 2008.
- Sir George Buckley – former Chairman, President and CEO, 3M.
- Sir John Harman – former Chairman of the Environment Agency.
- Adil Ray – actor and comedian for BBC.
- Sally Nugent – journalist for BBC.
- Kavita Oberoi – Managing Director, Oberoi Consulting.
|Address||University of Huddersfield Queensgate Huddersfield HD1 3DH|