University of Leeds2014 League Table Ranking 32
2014 Overall Score 748
View the 2014 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- No bottled water!
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Leeds has made one of the largest investments in financial support in the higher education sector. It is committed to encouraging students from all backgrounds and it expects to provide around 1 in 3 of its students with financial support. It doesn't have to be repaid.
- Eligible UK students from England can choose between: a tuition fee discount; a discount on University-owned accommodation; a cash sum.
- Eligible students from elsewhere in the EU can only receive financial help from the University as a tuition fee discount.
- Students most in need will receive support of up to £6,000 in their first year and £3,000 a year after that. Other eligible students will receive up to £3,000 a year on a sliding scale depending on household income.
- Many students who've come to Leeds through its Reach for Excellence programme or through some of its access schemes for adult students will be eligible for the highest level of support: £6,000 in year 1 and £3,000 in years 2 and 3.
- Through its extensive relationships with schools and colleges it is well placed to find talented young people from disadvantaged backgrounds both locally and nationally. It is making significant further investment to provide the tools to enable the ‘most able, least likely’ to apply to research-intensive universities, and Leeds in particular.
- Leeds continues to grow its successful talent-spotting programme, Reach for Excellence, which targets the brightest young people from disadvantaged backgrounds, offering them an intensive two-year programme (in Years 12 and 13) of academic and study skills support and further cementing its relationships with local schools and colleges. Reach for Excellence also provides a route into the University of Leeds through Access to Leeds (see below). The NfER/Sutton Trust evaluation of Reach for Excellence has shown that young people on the programme: are more likely to enter higher education than their peers (85% vs 59%); are twice as likely to enter a research-intensive university; and that 25% progress to the University of Leeds.
- Reach for Excellence is supplemented with subject-specific programmes across all faculties, including 'How to be a Doctor?' and 'Pathways to Accountancy', and the intention is to grow the programme to work with a total of 600 young people per year.
- Students on Leeds’ talent schemes qualify for Access to Leeds (A2L), which is also open to direct applications from schools as well as those applying through UCAS. A2L provides a contextual admissions route into the University of Leeds. Subject to successful completion of the A2L module, A2L applicants receive the standard offer as published in the university prospectus, as well as the alternative A2L offer, two grades or 40 UCAS points below the standard offer.
- The University awards a range of scholarships based on a variety of criteria, including financial need and academic excellence. Sport and research scholarships are also available for students to apply for. The University’s scholarships are highly competitive and there is a limited pot of funding available for each.
Tuition Fees 2013
University of Leeds Tuition Fees 2013
|Minimum fee||£9,000||Average fee||£9,000|
|Maximum fee||£9,000||Average cost to student*||£8,013|
* The estimated average cost per student after allowing for financial support (e.g. fee waivers and bursaries) from the institution.
Find out more about university tuition fees and financial support wherever you're planning to study in the UK.
Use our Student Loan Calculator to estimate when you would repay your loan.
- The average tuition fees for full-time UK and other EU students beginning their undergraduate studies at English universities in 2013 will be £8,507.
- This reduces to £7,898 when all financial support is taken into account, including the National Scholarship Programme, bursaries, scholarships, and fee waivers and discounts.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.