Manchester Metropolitan University2016 League Table Ranking 73
2016 Overall Score 617
View the 2016 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Manchester Metropolitan University developed initially as a centre of Technology, Art and Design from Manchester Mechanics’ Institution in 1824 and from the Manchester School of Design in 1838. The painter L. S. Lowry attended the art school in the years after the First World War.
- Later schools of Commerce in 1889, Education in 1878 and Domestic Science in 1880 were added, along with colleges at Didsbury, Crewe, Alsager and the former Domestic and Trades College in 1911.
- Under the motto Many Arts, Many Skills, these colleges became Manchester Polytechnic in 1970 and the Manchester Metropolitan University in 1992.
- In the past 10 years, we have implemented a £350-million transformation of our estates and facilities to provide two campuses, in central Manchester and Crewe, Cheshire.
- As at 2014–15, we have over 37,000 students across eight faculties and we are the largest undergraduate University in the UK according to UCAS data January 2014.
Location and Transport
- The University is ideally located for easy access to the city’s major railway stations, Piccadilly, Victoria, Deansgate and Oxford Road, which link the city with the whole of the North-West, Cheshire, the Midlands, Yorkshire and beyond.
- Our central Manchester campus is situated on one of the busiest bus routes in Europe, close to the city’s railway stations and Metro tram routes and within a short distance of a large international airport and major motorway networks.
- Our students make the most of Manchester’s superb city-wide and regional transport networks. Some opt to travel in from home every day; others use the free city centre shuttle buses and extensive cycle routes to explore Manchester.
- Excellent public transport also makes it easier for our students on their sandwich placement year to take up opportunities in the region or further afield.
- Our Cheshire campus in Crewe is within easy walking distance of the mainline railway station, with direct services to Manchester, Chester and throughout the North West as well as to London, Birmingham and beyond.
- It is a short distance to major motorway networks and just a 30-minute train journey to Manchester International Airport.
- Read more about entry requirements at Manchester Metropolitan University online at www.mmu.ac.uk.
- The University also encourages applications from applicants returning to education and will consider alternative evidence in order to determine suitability to commence and succeed on a chosen course of study.
The 32,160 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of study|
|Mode of study|
- In the National Student Survey 2014, 83% of eligible students taught at MMU agreed that they were satisfied with the overall quality of their course, with the same percentage agreeing that they were satisfied with the teaching on their course.
- MMU achieved a successful outcome to the QAA Institutional Audit in November 2009.
- In order to enhance employability, all programmes at MMU have graduate outcomes that students must achieve throughout their studies.
- We also won a European universities’ award for Excellent Student IT in 2014.
- MMU has independently verified world-leading research in Healthcare, Environmental Science, Computer Science, Engineering and Materials, Business and Management, Social Work and Social Policy, Sociology, Education, English Language and Literature, History and Art and Design.
- We have over 200 researchers operating at a world-leading and internationally excellent standard.
- Our Art and Design research community is the 5th most powerful in the UK and research in Health was rated 12th out of 89 UK universities according to the Times Higher Education rankings.
- We have a reputation for generating outstanding economic and societal benefits from research; 85% of our impact was rated world-leading and internationally excellent in 2014.
- We are top 20 in the UK for research impact in Sociology, Education, English Literature and History.
- We are one of the most progressive and influential modern universities in the UK, providing a broad range of degree subject areas for the professions, commerce, the arts, service industries and social sciences.
- Our 2,300 academic teaching staff, professors and researchers are experienced professionals, with well-established links to ensure that what you learn is right up-to-date. They provide you with lists of essential reading, interesting articles, support materials and resources and key links to the professions and industry.
- Our 2,000 professional and support staff are here to help you get the most out of our libraries, careers service, support and counselling service, IT zones and accommodation. Our specialist technicians will provide much valued assistance in our laboratories and workshops.
- We have strong vocational links with business, industry, art and science and with more than 70 professional bodies and associations to ensure you start your career with the right support.
- MMU Special Collections are of national importance with new and unique exhibitions throughout the year.
- 24-hour Manchester library opening throughout the academic year, including Christmas and Easter holidays.
- Newly redesigned libraries provide group work spaces, silent study areas, Chat Zones and IT Zones.
- Over 2,000 high spec computers, available to students across 13 IT Zones and free 7 day laptop loans.
- Group Study Zones equipped with the latest technology specially designed for collaborating on projects.
- 400 multifunctional printers – easy to use, print from any device, collect from any printer.
- High speed student Wi-Fi, available across all campuses halls of residence and even in the local park!
- MyMMU: our award winning, innovative online portal gives students everything they need for their studies. A completely personalised online experience, with timetables, assignments, marks and lots more.
- Secure email in the cloud, tools for online collaboration and Microsoft's Office Apps free for our students.
- Discounts and a facility for purchasing software and new devices.
- Wide range of expert IT support with a 24/7 Helpline, IT Rovers, Library helpdesks, knowledge base and clinics.
- On-site Print Services offering specialist facilities to print student work to professional standards.
- The Learner Development Service provides comprehensive advice and guidance for disabled students, and those with specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia.
- A dyslexia screening service for enrolled students is available and supported referrals can be made.
- A peer mentor can be arranged for disabled students (pre-entry through to the end of the first year).
- Contact the service on 0161 247 3491, email email@example.com or visit www.mmu.ac.uk/learnerdevelopment.
- For news updates, advice, and information on events go to Twitter @LDSatMMU and check the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MMULearnerDevelopment.
- The Union is one of the largest student-led organisations in the UK, representing the 37,000 students at MMU.
- There are over 150 different sports clubs and societies to join, covering a wide range of interests, from rugby to gardening, politics and sky diving.
- We have an impartial advice centre, which offers specialist, student-centred assistance in many aspects of student life including finance, housing and academic services.
- The Union has an active campaigning role, representing the views of students locally and nationally.
- We are located in a brand new £10-million building featuring a 700-capacity events venue and multiple rooms and facilities for our students.
- MMU Sport boasts an extensive sporting offer across both campuses providing opportunities from performance to participation sport, and professional development pathways through coaching and sports volunteering.
- Our Sport Scholarship programme supports 35 talented athletes from a variety of sporting backgrounds.
- Over 1500 students take part in team and individual sports, competing against other universities as part of the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) leagues and competitions. We have over 60 student-led sports clubs across our Manchester and Cheshire campuses, providing opportunities for all levels.
- Our High Performance Sport programme provides additional funding and athlete support services to selected sports teams, recognising our commitment to climbing the BUCS rankings.
- Our recreational sport programme has expanded to include over 60 free activities across our Manchester and Cheshire campuses through our Active Campus programme, a range of Campus Leagues and a series of subsidised courses in a variety of sports.
- We offer over 20 Coach Education courses ranging from Coach UK minimum operating standard awards to National Governing Body of Sport (NGB) Level 1 and 2 qualifications.
- Our Sports Volunteering programme provides students with the chance to gain practical experience alongside their degree, through opportunities with local, regional and national organisations.
- At our Cheshire campus we boast a purpose build Exercise and Sport Science facility, featuring an eight court sports hall, astro turf pitch and fitness centre, as well as close working partnerships with a number of local facilities.
- At our Manchester campus, our Platt Lane Sports Complex providing top quality pitches, a fully equipped gym, a range of fitness classes and a number of coaching sessions for our students, staff and the local community.
- At the heart of our Oxford Road community in Manchester, we have two sports centres providing access to state of the art fitness suites, court facilities, outdoor pitches and an Olympic sized swimming pool.
- For more information please visit www.mmu.ac.uk/sport or keep up-to-date with our latest news and opportunities on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/mmusport) and Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/mmusport).
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- An ambitious £350-million Estates Masterplan investment has been completed to support teaching, student services and research. Our commitment to providing world class Facilities and student experience is further evidenced by the commencement of a further £200-million phase 2 Masterplan that will deliver a new Arts and Culture centre, new large scale Science and Engineering Facility and extensive Public Realm enhancements.
- In 2012 the award-winning new Business School and Student Hub opened as a resource for the whole MMU community.
- 2013 saw the opening of an innovative new Art & Design building offering contemporary gallery and presentation spaces for student collaboration. This highly innovative facility was a highly commended finalist for the 2014 RIBA Stirling prize.
- The new £130-million Birley Fields campus welcomed Education and Health students in 2014 and offers 967 student beds in a mix of townhouses and apartments on a 15 acre city centre regeneration site.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The Careers and Employability Service organises a range of employer events on campus and advertises hundreds of part-time roles, graduate jobs, placements and internships to MMU students online via My CareerHub.
- Students can register for our on campus employment scheme, Jobs4Students to gain valuable experience working for the University, as well as earning extra cash.
- Students can undertake voluntary work for local and national charities and not-for-profit organisations.
- For more information go to www.mmu.ac.uk/careers
Our dedicated Careers and Employability Service is on hand to help our students and recent graduates to develop and enhance their employability. Our services include:
- A range of career development workshops, designed to equip students with essential skills to help them secure employment.
- Access to extensive online resources including job vacancies, careers advice by email and electronic career guides.
- Opportunities to network with employers on campus and through our mentoring scheme MentorMatch.
- Advice and guidance from our professionally trained Careers and Employability Advisers who offer advice on career options with different degree specialisms.
- A daily drop-in available to all students and recent graduates looking for one-to-one advice on CVs and applications.
The University has an alumni community of over 250,000 alumni living in more than 120 countries around the world. Many alumni choose to stay connected with us after they have graduated and we offer them a wide range of benefits and services. We are proud of the achievements of all members of the alumni community and alumni from all professions and stages in their careers get involved with us to give students the skills and knowledge for them to find graduate employment. Below are some of the alumni who have achieved success or fame through their work, as well as those who are highly respected in their chosen fields.
- •ohn Bishop, Comedian and Actor
- Cerrie Burnell, TV Presenter, CBeebies
- Sarah Burton OBE, Creative Director at Alexander McQueen
- Steve Coogan, Actor, Impressionist and Comedian
- Mark Cueto, England International Rugby Union Player and Sale Sharks Wing
- David Fairhurst, Senior Vice President, International Human Resources and Strategy, McDonald's Corporation
- Thomas Heatherwick, Designer, Maker, Sculptor
- Liz Kessler, Children’s Fantasy Writer
- Roberto Martinez, Manager of Everton FC
- Jonathan Mildenhall, CMO, Airbnb
- Edward Morland, Chief Executive at the Health & Safety Laboratory
- Eamonn O’Neal, Managing Editor, M.E.N. Media
- Martin Parr, Documentary Photographer and Photojournalist
- Grant Shapps MP, Conservative Party Chairman and Minister with a Portfolio
- Gisela Stuart, Labour MP
- Gordon Taylor, Chief Executive, The Professional Footballers’ Association
- Julie Walters, Actress
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.