Manchester Metropolitan University2014 League Table Ranking 88
2014 Overall Score 539
View the 2014 league tables
MMU Business School
Part-time Executive MBA
- Our MBA students have automatic student/affiliate membership of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and are guaranteed full membership of the Institute upon graduation without any further assessment. They are also entitled to preferential membership fees for the Institute of Directors (IOD).
- You will be taught in the Business School’s £75-million teaching and research headquarters on All Saints Campus.
- The Corporate Scholarship (25% reduction of student tuition fees) is a new scholarship that rewards students whose organisation encourages the development of two or more employees through the Executive MBA programme at Manchester Metropolitan University.
- There are also Executive MBA scholarships and the MBA Referral Scholarship available.
- Early in the programme a management development residential takes place in the Peak District. This enables you to achieve a number of learning objectives, participate in team building opportunities, find out more about your studies and meet your fellow MBA students in an informal environment. All hotel and subsistence costs are covered by your course fees.
- An integral part of the MBA includes an international study tour. Previous tours have included Barcelona, Beijing, Budapest, Ljubljana and Prague. You will observe management practice in different organisational and cultural settings, with factory visits and presentations from entrepreneurs, consultants and government officials as well as lectures from the associate university. All hotel, flights and subsistence costs are covered by your course fees.
- We invite guest speakers to discuss pertinent strategic and operational issues from a range of organisations including SMEs and entrepreneurial start ups. A commercial/industrial visit programme complements the theories taught and typically includes Jaguar, Roberts Bakery, Siemens, Manchester United and BDO Stoy Hayward.
- You will have the full support of a dedicated careers advisor to assist with CV construction, finding placements and applying for jobs after completing your MBA.
- Our alumni association offers opportunities for continuous learning and networking as well as entitlement to a range of alumni benefits. There is a strong commitment to the development of a lively MBA alumni network, supported by the regional Association of MBAs alumni network which brings together accredited schools from the North West.
- All programme materials are available online via a virtual learning environment (using Moodle).
Executive MBA units
Managing Human Performance Your studies cover the different perspectives of cultural management and organisational design. You will give consideration to how change, innovation and the leadership role are influenced by the development of human resources.
Managing Customer Value You will analyse the evolution of marketing as a business discipline, both nationally and globally. You will also examine managing customer relationships within Business to Business (B2B) and Business to Consumer (B2C) environments, and the processes and procedures used to measure customer lifetime value.
Managing for Business Excellence In this unit you will analyse the strategic role of operations management within an enterprise, the role and issues associated with the implementation of technology and the systemic nature of, and need for, effective operations design.
Financial Analysis and Management This management accounting unit covers: the theories of income measurement and asset evaluation; the techniques involved in the interpretation of accounting data; cash-flows and profit flows; costs relevant to decision making; the management of finance and techniques of capital investment appraisal; the uses of accounting for performance measurement; and developments in cost theory.
Contemporary Issues in the International Environment In this unit you examine the context of global business activity and the political economy, looking at the extent to which these processes impact upon an organisation.
Corporate Business Strategy in an International Context You will investigate different strategic management theories and how they can be used to understand competitive strategic thinking. Your studies will include in-depth examinations of the business models of a number of leading businesses. Areas studied will include knowledge network, resource/capability based view, international strategy, economic growth analysis (using GCI database), and alliances.
Strategy Implementation In this unit you identify the distinctions between business, and functional level strategies and the relationship between these in global, international and multi-domestic organisations. Your studies also cover the theoretical aspects of performance management, strategy implementation in different sectors and the social role of the firm – shareholders vs. stakeholders.
Organisational Renewal and Change This unit concentrates on global innovation networks and their role on the innovatory capacity of organisations. Topics covered include: the role of corporate entrepreneurs; how to develop cultures which promote innovatory activity; the mechanisms required for innovation; and the role of external sources in innovation.
The optional units you select enable you to broaden your studies further or to specialise in a particular business discipline. The cross disciplinary nature of the EMBA programme enables us to draw on staff expertise from across the Business School to offer the widest possible choice. The following list is indicative of the range on offer:
- Business economics
- Corporate or international finance
- Digital business management
- Logistics and supply chain management
- Marketing communications and public relations
- Origins and evolution of international business
- Project management
- Sustainable development
Developing Professional Practice This unit focuses on developing the practical professional and business research skills that will enhance and improve your employability. You will adopt a project management approach, working collaboratively to investigate an organisational or business issue.
Research Methods and Business Consultancy Project, Dissertation or Enterprise Project This unit combines a thorough grounding in research methods with the opportunity to work on your choice of project, which can be a piece of business consultancy, an enterprise project or a dissertation. This is a substantial piece of work of approximately 12,000-15,000 words and you can use it to research and address a business issue for your organisation or placement provider. Through it you can draw together the different strands of your EMBA studies and demonstrate your mastery of management theory, techniques and practice. The project is submitted in the final stage of the programme.
Summary of taught units
- Managing human performance.
- Managing customer value for business excellence.
- Financial analysis and management.
- Contemporary issues in the international environment.
- Corporate and business strategy in an international context.
- Strategy implementation.
- Organisational renewal and change.
- Developing professional practice.
- Research methods and consultancy project, dissertation or enterprise project.
- Executive MBA.
- Standard part-time or block release route, which takes 30 months, and is most suitable for professionals working full-time.
- Accelerated route, which takes 18 months, and is most suitable for professionals who can make additional time for their EMBA studies.
- Option of October or January start dates .
Number of places
Fees and funding 2014–15
- UK student fees £16,750
- EU student fees £16,750
- International student fees n/a
Many students are sponsored by their organisation or fund their studies through a combination of savings, loans and funding sources:
- Partial scholarships are available for self-funding students.
- The Corporate Scholarship provides a 25% reduction of student tuition fees. This scholarship is for students whose organisation encourages the development of two or more employees through the Executive MBA at Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Sainsbury Management Fellowships are available for chartered engineers, who have the ability to become senior managers and leaders of UK industry.
- Professional and Career Development Loans.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.