Middlesex University2015 League Table Ranking 94
2015 Overall Score 556
View the 2015 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Middlesex University is a well established, modern and forward-thinking university offering courses specifically designed to be relevant to your future career.
- Middlesex University's origins go back to the late 1880s, with the opening of two educational colleges in north London – St Katherine's College and the Hornsey School of Arts and Crafts.
- Both colleges became part of Middlesex Polytechnic, which was founded in 1973.
- Middlesex was awarded the title University, by Royal Assent, in 1992.
Location and Transport
- Both campuses are based in North London and are a short tube ride to central London, the heart of a vibrant and diverse capital city.
- The main campus is in Hendon, where the majority of courses are taught. Specialist healthcare courses are taught at Archway campus, located adjacent to the Whittington Hospital.
- There are two overseas campuses, in Dubai and Mauritius, where students have the option to study part of their degree in another country if they wish to.
- Standard undergraduate offers range from 220 to 280 UCAS points.
- Middlesex recognises a wide range of UK and overseas qualifications, including IB, for entry to its programmes.
- Mature students with relevant work experience will be considered for entry to undergraduate programmes.
- There are 40,000 students on Middlesex courses across the globe, with almost a quarter of students in London coming from outside the UK.
- 22,000 students studying on the London campuses with a gender break down of 59% women, 41% men.
- 37% of full time undergraduate students are over 21 and 67% of part time undergraduates are over 21.
- 66% of full time students are from London or the south east, 23% of students are from overseas.
- Over 200 courses are available and are continually evolving to meet the requirements of students, employers and industry needs. They combine theoretical studies with practical real-world experience, to achieve academic excellence.
- Courses are specifically designed to be relevant to future careers, and are taught by industry focussed academics. Middlesex is ranked in the top 10 in the UK for graduate salaries (Parthenon Group).
- Many courses are accredited by professional bodies such as the Law Society, Chartered Institute of Marketing, British Psychological Institute, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Training and Development Agency (for teachers) and the Institute of Design Engineers.
- Work placements or internships are available on most courses, and students taking up a year long placement don’t pay any tuition for that year.
- Teaching and support is focussed on developing students into enterprising and confident graduates, equipped to seize every opportunity and well placed to succeed in an increasingly competitive job market.
- A wide ranging suite of full-time and part-time courses are offered, both in London and overseas campuses in Dubai and Mauritius.
- Mid-year intake in January is available for some programmes.
- Work Based Learning and Professional Practice programmes are also available.
- 830 core academic staff at Middlesex provide innovative, research-led and internationally focused curriculum. They are leaders in their fields.
- The university's teaching is consistently rated as among the best in the country.
- The Institute for Work Based Learning is a recognised Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
- Middlesex is an inclusive place to learn and has a diverse student population with over 140 nationalities represented as well as a fully multicultural teaching staff.
- Outstanding centres in Flood Hazard Research, Project Management, Enterprise and Biomedical Science.
- The most recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) found 77% of research to be 'internationally recognised', acknowledging the schools and research centres as being of an international standard across a number of areas.
- The university has invested over £100 million in recent years into updating their flagship campus at Hendon, including state-of-the-art teaching and learning centres, modern laboratories, workshops and lecture theatres fitted with specialist equipment.
- An innovative learning resource centre has a library which accommodates 8,000 students, offers 738 open access study places and 246 open access IT work stations. The campus is Wi-Fi enabled throughout.
- Students relax, socialise, undertake sports and take part in Student Union activities in a £4.5 million student centre. It offers modern sports and recreation facilities as well as purpose built places to eat, drink and socialise.
- An additional £80 million has been spent on a brand new centre for art, design and media. The new Grove building, opened in September 2011, is an eco-friendly development fitted out to industry standards and specifications, which features workshops, learning spaces, a Sony-designed, equipped and built TV studio and newsroom, and flexible performance and exhibition spaces centred around an inspirational atrium.
- Middlesex increased their score to 79% (2011) for student satisfaction in the latest National Student Survey thanks to continued investment in and improvement to the student experience.
- For information about the disability services at Middlesex, telephone +44 (0)20 8411 4945, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website.
- Represents all students enrolled at the university and offers academic as well as welfare advice as well as organising a wide range of social activities throughout the year, including Freshers Week.
- Member of the National Union of Students (NUS).
- Hendon campus is home to 'The Fitness Pod' a the state of the art fitness facility, outdoor multi-activity courts, astro-turf pitches and one of the few Real Tennis courts in the country, Middlesex University Real Tennis Club (MURTC).
- Competitive teams for football, rugby, hockey, basketball, gymnastics, tennis and archery amongst many others.
- An Athlete Support Programme encourages athlete development.
- The Sports Development Team at Middlesex is the largest provider of coaching courses in North London.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- A new centre for art, design and media at Hendon, the Grove building is ‘a world class design’, according to the Greater London Authority. Opened in 2011, it features teaching rooms, exhibition and event spaces and specialist facilities.
- The Hatchcroft is a specialist building for the sciences, featuring state-of-the-art facilities, and was opened in 2008.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Part-time work available on campus, in the areas close to campus as well as Central London. Careers service will help you to find part-time work.
- Most courses offer the opportunity to gain experience on a work placement, for the chance to undertake work directly related to study. Year long placements require no tuition fees.
- Middlesex runs a Student Ambassador and volunteering scheme, offering students paid part time whilst also enhancing their employability skills.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.