- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- Formed in 1968 to train teachers, Newman University has expanded to provide a range of single and combined honours degrees, higher degrees and work-based foundation degrees.
Location and Transport
- Birmingham is at the heart of the UK's rail and motorway network. There is easy access to Newman from the M6, M5 and M42. Birmingham International airport has flights to many parts of the world, and low cost airlines.
- Based in the south west of the city, Newman is approximately 20 minutes from the city centre and overlooks the picturesque Bartley reservoir.
Entry requirements vary by course but for most courses the following requirements apply:
- Single and Combined Honours You will normally need to have a minimum of 280 points, including grades BC or above at A2 level; plus five GCSEs (or equivalent) including English Language at grade C or above. Some Single and Combined Honours courses will require qualifications in a particular subject at A level or GCSE. Please see the course specific entry profile for more information.
- Primary Initial Teacher Education You will normally need to have 280 UCAS points including grades BC or above at A2 level (AS General studies is not considered) plus you will have passed five GCSEs (or equivalent) including English Language, Mathematics and a science-related subject at grade C or above prior to application. Recent and relevant work experience in the last two years in a British Primary School setting is also require before the interview. Please remember that applicants to the Initial Teacher Training courses will also need to undergo a DBS check.
The 2,725 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 82%
- Postgraduate 18%
Mode of study
- Full Time 72%
- Part Time 28%
- UK 100%
- Male 29%
- Female 71%
- Most courses comprise of a combination of essential modules to ensure students have a solid grounding in their subject, complemented by a range of optional modules to allow students to specialise in areas of greatest interest.
- A range of flexible learning courses allow students to study alongside full-time students, offering a more flexible and affordable university experience.
- As a student-centred university, teaching standards are exceptionally high, as recognised by the National Student Survey. An interactive teaching style is used to enable students to question and embed their understanding.
- Newman historically has one of the best graduate employment rates in the UK.
- Although Newman's priority is research-informed teaching, it also has a strong research culture, with many academic staff publishing widely. Particular areas of expertise for research are Psychology, Education, Sport and Early Years.
- In the latest REF results Newman research was considered world leading in many subjects.
- Newman has an excellent reputation for the quality of its courses and is ranked high in the UK for teaching excellence.
- Vocational learning is extremely important at Newman. All courses have work placements embedded throughout the course, enabling students to develop the skills valued by employers.
- Many of the courses are recognised by professional bodies such as the Chartered Management Institute, BASES and British Psychological Society.
- Small class sizes enable students to take part in lectures and seminars which encourage discussion and debate.
- Newman has an iconic, state-of-the-art library, and free wi-fi is available all over campus (including halls).
- Newman students also have access to the latest journals in their field through electronic resources.
- There is an onsite gym and fitness suite with a range of cardiovascular equipment and resistance exercise machines.
- There are also regular and varied fitness classes for students and staff.
- Newman has an on-site Starbucks coffee shop and a student bar called Senses which hosts a great range of events including talent shows, comedy acts and theme nights.
- Newman is an inclusive scholarly community, offering an extensive service for disabled students.
- The Students' Union is your key to an exciting, fulfilling and varied social life. From live band nights to talent shows, comedy clubs and theme nights, we have something to suit every taste. Whatever your hobby the chances are that there is a club or society for it. If there isn't you can always be the one to give it a kick start.
- Members of the union are always pleased to hear from potential students, and give them an insider's view of Newman.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Lots of part-time jobs available in Birmingham. Many students also work on campus in areas such as housekeeping, bar, sports centre and student ambassador work.
- Our knowledgeable and professional careers service staff will support you as you explore the options available after university.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- A £20m refurbishment of the campus has recently been completed, including an impressive new library that provides an inspirational learning environment with spectacular views over the reservoir.