The University of Northampton2016 League Table Ranking 83
2016 Overall Score 590
View the 2016 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Online Business School Courses
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Founded from a marriage of Northampton's colleges of art, technology and education, which formed Nene College of Higher Education in 1975.
- In February 1999 it became University College Northampton.
- Gained university status and the power to award its own research degrees in 2005 and became the University of Northampton.
Location and Transport
- Set in the heart of England, Northamptonshire is the perfect combination of bustling urban life and countryside.
- With everything from premiership rugby, a purpose-built athletics stadium, motor racing and a white-water rafting centre, high-energy living is on offer around the clock in Northampton.
- At the town’s leading arts centre an exciting line-up of drama and dance, stand-up comedy, music and theatre attracts national audiences and media headlines.
- On the acclaimed Roadmender stage there is the chance to see some of the country’s best up-and-coming bands in action – with the likes of Supergrass, Dizzee Rascal and Coldplay amongst the venue’s performers.
- As a perfect complement to the town’s leisure, sporting and cultural facilities, the countryside of Northamptonshire offers a relaxing haven of cycle ways and canals, historic homes and gardens.
- Getting here couldn’t be easier either, with both London and Birmingham less than an hour away by road and rail.
- From Northampton’s train station, Avenue Campus is just a ten-minute walk or short bus journey away.
- Park Campus, just two miles from Avenue, is also only a short bus journey from the town centre.
- Northampton has the largest of the 24 National Enterprise Zones bringing in additional investment, development and graduate opportunities.
- 280–320 UCAS tariff points for most courses (with some exceptions).
- The University is dedicated to encouraging widening participation.
- Get more information about entry standards at the University of Northampton online.
The 13,285 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of study|
|Mode of study|
- A range of courses and learning options including full- and part-time, distance learning and two-year fast track degrees.
- Flexibility is at the heart of our joint honours degrees.
- We are committed to providing our students with the very best learning experience possible.
- Our ambitious academic community undertakes extensive research and consultancy work, bringing real-world experiences and insights to their teaching.
- Our programmes have the perfect balance of theoretical learning, critical analysis and practical application.
- Signed partnership agreements with local sports teams to create industry relevant work placement and intern opportunities.
- The University of Northampton has seen the biggest increase in student satisfaction of any university in the East Midlands.
- Top 20 for Student Satisfaction.
- Our students enjoy excellent employment opportunities and work experience placements, and benefit from continued employability support.
- We provide our graduates with key skills that employers value, while holistically integrating social enterprise into our teaching, learning and research, and working with local authorities, businesses and the wider community.
- DHLE statistics reveal that 96% of our graduates are in work or further study six months after completing their course.
- Designated an Ashoka U Changemaker Campus for our commitment to Social Enterprise.
- In 2014, awarded Midlands Enterprising University of the Year for the third year running.
- Entrepeneurial activities embedded within all our courses to enhance the students learning experience, inspire innovation, develop entrepreneurial skills and understand social values.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, several research subject areas at the University of Northampton were recognised as 'world-leading': Allied Health Professions, Art and Design; English Language and Literature; History; Geography and Environmental Studies; and Education. 'International excellence' was identified in the University’s research within Business and Management Studies; Engineering and Psychology.
- The latest National Student Survey showed that 89% of students were satisfied with the overall quality of their course. English (100%), FdSc Paramedic Science (100%), Early Childhood Studies (100%), Fashion (98%), Occupational Therapy (97%), Business Studies (96%), Geography (96%), History (95%) and Social and Community Development (95%).
- In the latest National Student Survey, 89% of students indicated satisfaction with 'Teaching on my course', with some particularly strong performing subjects such as:English (98%), Fashion (98%), Acting (98%), FdA Early Years (97%), Early Childhood Studies (96%), Geography (96%) and FdSc Paramedic Science (95%).
- In 2009 the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) gave a confidence judgement for the University’s management of its academic standards. There was also a comment on good practice for the provision of readily accessible support for student learning through the Centre for Academic Practice.
- In 2010 Ofsted judged the University to be an 'Outstanding Provider' of Initial Teacher Education in Primary and Early Years.
- The Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellowship Scheme recognised two members of staff as National Teaching Fellows.
- Access across a range of platforms, including high-quality collections of books, journals, multimedia and internally generated resources such as research output.
- Flexible, varied and supportive learning services, including libraries at both Park and Avenue campuses and online environments, open to members of the University and the wider community.
- A range of timely and accessible learning support delivered online and face-to-face, embedded within courses or as personalised help.
- A contribution to the academic output of the University through research and professional engagement and to the University's wider role through its involvement in local, national and international communities of practice.
- Dedicated, specialist staff offering tailored support.
- State-of-the-art Student Centre with one-stop shop information.
- Two restaurants and a medical centre.
The ASSIST team is committed to ensuring students with disability-related needs can achieve their full potential.
- Led by students, backed by volunteers and staff, the University of Northampton Students’ Union exists to ensure that a student’s time at the University is the best it can possibly be. A vibrant community of 15,000 students have access to services and opportunities including sports, societies, advice and representation, our retail outlets and our nightclub.
- Whatever a student’s passion or interest, time commitment or background it couldn't be easier to get involved in an activity at the students’ union – there is something for everyone.
- The Students’ Union boasts 37 sports clubs, ranging from beginner to elite levels, and is one of only two Students’ Unions in England that offer completely free sport. There are no membership fees to pay, no transport costs and our players receive professional training twice a week.
- The Students’ Union also offers free fitness classes including aerobics, zumba and cheerobics alongside a number of intramural leagues for the more casual athlete.
- Students are encouraged and supported to join and create student societies, an offering that includes 55 diverse and varied student groups such as the History Society, Climbing Society, Global Students’ Society, and Cheese and Wine Society. The Societies are also entirely FREE TO JOIN.
- Park Campus is home to three distinct venues that offer everything from coffees and paninis to spirits and Pinot Grigio. Recently the first floor of the Students’ Union underwent a £450,000 refurbishment to create a flagship nightclub and multifunctional social space known as the Attic. Between lectures it’s the perfect place to meet friends, in the evening we have an exciting programme of events that range from comedy nights to live bands, acoustic acts and DJs such as Zane Lowe, Jameela Jamil, Katy B and Naughty Boy.
- Over on Avenue Campus students will find a fun and vibrant Students’ Union that hosts open mic nights, pub quizzes and a number of performances from our home-grown bands, aspiring dance groups and other Avenue-based students.
- Sport is a huge part of campus life here at the University of Northampton, with around 1,500 students taking part in some form of formal physical activity each week.
- We believe that sport is such an integral part of our students’ experience that we provide activities FREE! We are one of only two Students’ Unions in England to offer entirely free sport, this not only includes all your professional training costs, but your match day costs, transport costs, all required equipment and facilities.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- £330-million development to relocate to a new Waterside Campus by 2018, putting the University at the heart of the community.
- £25-million St John’s Halls of Residence.
- £11-million investment in the School of Science and Technology which has seen it transformed into a state-of-the-art technology and research centre.
- £3.8-million investment in the University’s School of Education, adding social learning and teaching spaces to the already impressive facilities.
- £1.6-million extension to the University’s Business School, which added new teaching facilities, including a mock-boardroom for student presentations.
- £900,000 transformation of the library at Park Campus into a new and up-to-the-minute Learning Commons – technology enhanced learning space.
- £535,000 investment in our Students' Unions, creating amazing venues for gigs, club nights and events.
- £8.5m University of Northampton Innovation Centre due for completion Spring 2015. The Innovation Centre will provide business start up advice and support from the University’s Inspire2Enterprise service, an advisory service specifically for enterprises developing their business in a socially responsible manner.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Part-time jobs are available at dozens of major companies based in Northampton.
- The University Centre for Employability and Engagement helps students find work and volunteering opportunities.
- The excellent employment and work experience opportunities available through the University Centre for Employability and Engagement enable our students to gain valuable insight into the corporate world, whilst providing continued and practical employability support.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.