The University of Northampton2014 League Table Ranking 62
2014 Overall Score 610
View the 2014 league tables
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Founded from a marriage of Northampton's colleges of art, technology and education, which formed Nene College of Higher Education in 1975.
- In February 1999 it became University College Northampton.
- Gained university status and the power to award its own research degrees in 2005 and became the University of Northampton.
Location and transport
- Set in the heart of England, Northamptonshire is the perfect combination of bustling urban life and countryside.
- With everything from premiership rugby, a purpose-built athletics stadium, motor racing and a white-water rafting centre, high-energy living is on offer around the clock in Northampton.
- At the town’s leading arts centre an exciting line-up of drama and dance, stand-up comedy, music and theatre attracts national audiences and media headlines.
- On the acclaimed Roadmender stage there is the chance to see some of the country’s best up-and-coming bands in action – with the likes of Supergrass, Dizzee Rascal and Coldplay amongst the venue’s performers.
- As a perfect complement to the town’s leisure, sporting and cultural facilities, the countryside of Northamptonshire offers a relaxing haven of cycle ways and canals, historic homes and gardens.
- Getting here couldn’t be easier either, with both London and Birmingham less than an hour away by road and rail.
- From Northampton’s train station, Avenue Campus is just a ten-minute walk or short bus journey away.
- Park Campus, just two miles from Avenue, is also only a short bus journey from the town centre.
- Northampton is one of 24 National Enterprise Zones bringing in additional investment, development and graduate opportunity.
- 260–300 UCAS tariff points for most courses (with some exceptions).
- The University is dedicated to encouraging widening participation.
- Get more information about entry standards at the University of Northampton online.
- Over 14,000 students currently study at the University of Northampton on a mixture of undergraduate, postgraduate and further education programmes.
- The gender mix is currently 62% female, and 38% male.
- Almost 98% of students that enter onto undergraduate courses at the University previously attended a state school.
- 87% of all students are from the UK, 2% are from Europe, and 11% are from the rest of the world.
- A range of courses and learning options including full- and part-time, distance learning and two-year fast track degrees.
- Flexibility is at the heart of our Joint Honours degrees.
- We are committed to providing our students with the very best learning experience possible.
- Our ambitious academic community undertakes extensive research and consultancy work, bringing real-world experiences and insights to their teaching.
- This ensures that our programmes have the perfect balance of theoretical learning, critical analysis and practical application.
- Students nominated the University for Most Improved Student Experience in the 2012 National Student Survey. The University of Northampton has seen the biggest increase in student satisfaction of any university in the East Midlands.
- Our students enjoy excellent employment opportunities and work experience placements, and benefit from continued employability support.
- We provide our graduates with key skills that employers value, while holistically integrating social enterprise into our teaching, learning and research, and working with local authorities, businesses and the wider community.
- In 2012 we were recognised as England's Number One University for employability (HESA Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) Survey 2010–11, July 2012, compared to full university status HEI's for full time study first Undergraduate degree leavers.)
- In the last Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2008), several research subject areas at the University of Northampton were recognised as world-leading and internationally excellent, including: Art and Design; Asian Studies; Business and Management; Dance, Drama and Performing Arts; Education; English; Health; History; Leather and Materials.
- The latest National Student Survey showed that 82 per cent of students were satisfied with the overall quality of their course. Strong-performing subjects with high satisfaction levels are: History (97 per cent), Education (94 per cent), Finance and Accounting (93 per cent), Nursing (92 per cent) and Initial Teacher Training (92 per cent).
- In the latest National Student Survey, satisfaction levels of students for the 'Teaching on my course' were above that of the sector as a whole with some particularly strong performing subjects such as: Historical and Philosophical studies (97 per cent), Geographical Studies (95 per cent), Nursing (94 per cent), Finance and Accounting (94 per cent), and Initial Teacher Training (93 per cent).
- In 2009 the QAA gave a confidence judgement for the University’s management of its academic standards. There was also a comment on good practice for the provision of readily accessible support for student learning through the Centre for Academic Practice
- In 2010 Ofsted judged the University to be an 'Outstanding Provider' of Initial Teacher Education in Primary and Early Years
- A member of staff from the School of Health holds a Learning and Teaching Award from the Higher Education Academy Health Sciences and Practice Subject Centre. The award recognises their ‘exceptional contribution to teaching and student learning’.
- The Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellowship Scheme recognised two members of staff as National Teaching Fellows.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- Access to over 500 PCs, laptops and Macs and more than a half-million print and online publications.
- 24/7 access to IT facilities including high speed internet and fully wireless enabled campuses.
- Libraries proving flexible, accessible, student-centred learning and study spaces open 7 days a week during term time.
- Dedicated, specialist staff offering tailored support.
- State-of-the-art Student Centre with one-stop shop information.
- Two restaurants and a medical centre.
- To learn more about the library and its resources, please visit the Library webpage.
The Access Ability team is committed to ensuring students with disability-related needs can achieve their full potential.
- Our Students' Union is the vibrant and exciting heart of the campus, complete with bars, entertainment and a growing list of clubs and societies
- Sport is a huge part of campus life here at the University of Northampton, with around 1,500 students taking part in some form of formal physical activity each week.
- We believe that Sport is such an integral part of our students’ experience that we provide activities FREE!
Recent/prospective new builds
- The University of Northampton is investing over £30 million in the development of a modern, vibrant and exciting University, complete with state-of-the-art facilities, new refurbished buildings, new halls of residence and innovative learning spaces.
- £25-million St John’s Halls of Residence Project due for completion January 2014.
- £11-million investment in the School of Science and Technology which has seen it transformed into a state of the art technology and research centre.
- £3.8-million investment in the University’s School of Education, adding social learning and teaching spaces to the already impressive facilities.
- £1.6-million extension to the University’s Business School, which added new teaching facilities, including a mock-boardroom for student presentations.
- £900,000 transformation of the library at Park Campus into a new and up-to-the-minute Learning Commons – technology enhanced learning space.
- £535,000 investment in our Students Unions, creating amazing venues for gigs, club nights and events.
Availability of part-time work
- Part-time jobs are available at dozens of major companies based in Northampton.
- The University-run Job Shop helps students find work.
- The University also has an active Centre for Community Volunteering.
- Please visit www.northampton.ac.uk for more information.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.