Robert Gordon University2016 League Table Ranking 63
2016 Overall Score 632
View the 2016 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Distance Learning
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Robert Gordon University was founded in 1750 as a technical college. Full university status was granted in 1992. Watch the history of RGU and find out how we’ve evolved.
- The University has always focused on delivering education that prepares students for the professional world: by working closely with employers at all stages of the students’ journey, from course development and accreditation to providing scholarships and work based placements and experiences. This is why we have such a successful graduate employment record (seea cademic strengths below).
- Robert Gordon University has invested heavily in the Garthdee campus. Phase one of our exciting £120-million campus development opened in September 2013 and the new Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and the Built Environment is due to open September 2015. When the project is completed we will offer even more world-class learning and research facilities. Read about the amazing campus transformation.
- Robert Gordon University has an international reputation for providing high quality education right through from undergraduate to postgraduate and PhD level, alongside high quality courses to support continuing professional and personal development. Find out more on the University's track record.
Location and Transport
- Aberdeen is situated in the north east of Scotland. Frequent, cheap air, rail and bus connections to Aberdeen exist from the majority UK cities, making it hugely accessible. Find out more about transport links.
- Love the great outdoors? With two rivers running through Aberdeen, its picturesque sandy beaches, the Grampian Mountains and Cairngorms National Park nearby, Aberdeen attracts photographers, artists, sailors, surfers, kayakers, kite enthusiasts, rowers, walkers, golfers, mountain, rock and ice climbers, snowboarders and white water rafters!
- Aberdeen is ranked as the best city to live and work in in Scotland, and 2nd best in the UK, according to "Good Growth for Cities, 2014".
- RGU has been ranked as the second best value university in the UK for students living in England, Wales or Northern Ireland in the Student Value for Money report 2012 by Simple Landlords Insurance. These rankings take into account university league table standings, average rental costs and tuition fees.
- Each course description in the prospectus gives a guide to the entry requirements that the University accepts. See the online versions of our prospectus.
- International students should contact International@rgu.ac.uk for guidance on acceptable qualifications and English language requirements.
- Get more details about entry requirements at Robert Gordon University.
The 13,410 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of study|
|Mode of study|
- All courses are based on a modular structure and offer a range of exit qualifications.
- Many courses are made up of both compulsory and optional modules that allow you to tailor your studies to your interests and ambitions.
- Over 90% of our undergraduate courses offer placement opportunities.
- The University offers the flexibility of distance learning and part-time study options for some undergraduate courses and for most postgraduate courses.
- All courses are subject to initial approval and validation. Each course is then subject to a subsequent six yearly institution-led Subject Review.
- Course performance is monitored annually.
- Each Faculty has Learning Enhancement Co-ordinators (LECs), who are academics with a responsibility to develop learning and teaching practice.
- The university has a strong commitment to a high value and high impact translational research strategy. While staff are encouraged to be research active across all disciplines, there is a particular focus on some key priority areas, including oil and gas, remote healthcare, big data, and culture and design.
- In addition, research of significant value is being conducted in a number of areas, including engineering; environmental science; computing; architecture and built environment; art and design;pharmacy and life sciences; health sciences; applied social studies; nursing and midwifery; business and enterprise; governance and society; and information and communication.
- In REF 2014 the university performed particularly well in Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing & Pharmacy; General Engineering; and in Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management.
- The university is currently undertaking a wide-ranging review of its research strategy which will build on its existing reputation for internationally excellent and world leading research in specific disciplines.
- Due to our vocational courses – we are consistently named as one of the best UK Universities for graduate employment. Read more about our graduate employability success rates.
- In the latest independent National Student Survey, the overall student satisfaction score at RGU has remained at 87%
- All undergraduate courses offer an effective combination of academic study and practical experience, with most including periods of work placement.
- All of our courses are designed and developed in close consultation with the relevant professional bodies, and, where relevant, courses will carry accreditation by the relevant professional bodies.
- State-of-the-art facilities include a purpose-built Clinical Skills Centre, high-tech television and radio studios and a Green Screen Suite. We work consistently to improve learning facilities across all academic departments and across all modes of study.
- Substantial student support network that includes study support, careers advice, on-campus GP surgery and counselling service.The University has 2,500 computer workstations: all halls of residence are networked and there is wireless internet coverage in every building.
- The Library Tower which opened in September 2013 is equipped with over 250 workstations, multi function devices for printing, photocopying and scanning, WiFi and desktop power for charging personal devices. It offers space for quiet and individual study, complemented by an extensive new study area designed to support collaborative and group activities.
- The University's Disability and Dyslexia Service provides in-house assessment, advice and practical support to students and applicants with disabilities.
- All University managed student accommodation and all teaching and learning facilities meet DDA requirements.
- RGU:Union deals with every aspect of university life, and can provide help and advice if you need it, put you in contact with clubs and societies and can help you get involved in student politics. Find out more on the Student Union website.
- Located in the heart of the campus, RGU: SPORT has a six-lane 25m swimming pool, nine-badminton-court sports hall, three state-of-the-art fitness areas including a strength and conditioning suite, three exercise studios where a wide variety of group exercise classes (including Les Mills BTS) are offered, Physiotherapy@RGU:Wellness, 11m-high lead climbing wall and bouldering room, and Starbucks café.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- In September 2013, the university completed Phase one of its £120-million campus development at Garthdee, which consolidated all academic delivery on one site and housing some of the best teaching and research facilities in Europe.
- Phase two has begun and, upon completion in September 2015, will provide a new home for the Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and the Built Environment.
- A community Health Centre and a new Nursery are on the Garthdee campus and both facilities are open to students and staff.
- Discover more about the university’s commitment to the substantial development of the campus through its Masterplan.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The buoyant economy in Aberdeen allows students to enjoy a vibrant part-time jobs market in all sectors.
- The Careers and Employability Centre operates My Career, the Centre’s own online jobs and opportunities notice board, advertises a large number of local opportunities from local employers looking to fill part-time posts and hosts an annual on campus part time jobs fair.
- The Careers and Employability Centre provides practical career planning advice and jobs search support to all students and recent graduates of the University.
- The My Career Toolkit resource takes you from the very first stages of thinking about your career through to supporting you in making a positive impression in the graduate workplace. We offer a wide variety of services both online and in person.
- Hamish Dodds – President and CEO of Hard Rock International Inc.
- Jonathan Speirs – Internationally renowned architect and lighting design pioneer awarded RIAS’s Lifetime Achievement Award
- Hannah Miley – Reigning European and Commonwealth 400m individual medley champion
- Kenneth Black – Managing Director at Rowlands Pharmacy
- Roy Macgregor, OBE – Founder and Chairman of Global Energy Group
- Jamie Oag –Founder and Chairman of Score Group plc
- Callum Innes – International award-winning artist
- Ola Gorie Tait, MBE – Award-winning jewellery designer and pioneer of modern Scottish craft
- Ivor Ferguson – CEO of Clough AMEC
- Dean Hunter – Managing Director of Hunter Adams
- Norman Sinclair – Managing Director of Orkney Breweries
- Dr Joanna McMillan – Author, Nutritionist, Vice President of the Australian Lifecycle Medicine Association and TV presenter
- Kevin Davidson - CEO Maxwell Drummond International
- Jo Macsween – Owner and Joint Managing Director of Macsweens, haggis aficionado and author
- Eric Hawthorn – Managing Director and Founder of Radio Design
- Morag Livingstone – Best Selling Author and award winning film maker
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.