University of Roehampton2014 League Table Ranking 84
2014 Overall Score 552
View the 2014 league tables
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- The University of Roehampton's Whitelands College, founded in 1841, pre-dates every Higher Education Institution in England, except Oxford, Cambridge, London and Durham.
- Froebel College was founded in 1892, by a group committed to the then radical philosophies of Friedrich Froebel who was probably the most influential educationalist of the nineteenth century. He argued that the most important part of schooling was the pre-school period. The College is based within and around Grove House. The house dates back to 1792 and was designed by architect James Wyatt for Sir Joshua Vanneck.
Location and transport
- The University of Roehampton is London's only campus university, boasting 54 acres of parkland in the capital's southwest. It is close to the leafy London districts of Richmond and Putney, and central London is only 20 minutes away by train.
- The university enjoys a mix of historic buildings, including Froebel College's Grove House built in 1792, and modern buildings including the Duchesne Building, providing state-of-the-art teaching rooms.
- Full details of entry requirements can be found on online.
- A student population of around 9,000 from around 130 countries – a diverse and vibrant university community.
- 25% men, 75% women.
- The university remains committed to personal choice and course flexibility, offering innovative and coherent programmes of study, enabling students to pursue particular areas of interest.
- The University of Roehampton achieved a rating of 3.9 out of 5.0 for overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey.
- 91% of first degree students who graduated in 2007–8 were employed or in further study just six months after graduation.
- Students from Roehampton are more likely than students from London's other new universities to be employed or in further study six months after graduation according to the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey.
- The University of Roehampton has a wealth of research expertise which is acknowledged to be of national and international standing.
- The University of Roehampton has a long and respected tradition of arts and humanities education, where students are provided with valuable skills by academics with national and international reputations for research, in an environment rich in creativity and new ideas.
- A thriving academic culture. Many of our professors are internationally renowned for their research, with an impressive track record for publishing seminal work in their fields.
- The past year has built on previous success in significant professorial appointments which continue to help drive research at the university. Professor Andree Grau has been appointed to Professor of Anthropology of Dance, Professor Garry Marvin has been appointed Professor of Human Animal Studies and Professor Heather Nunn has been appointed Professor of Culture and Politics. Professor Rebecca Boden has recently been appointed as Professor of Critical Management to the new Roehampton Business School.
- The following colleagues were promoted to Readership this year: Dr Aisha Gill, Dr Steven Groarke, Dr Eva Duran Eppler, Dr Rosemary Barrow, Dr Peter Jaeger, Dr Jane Kingsley-Smith, Dr Jennifer Parker-Starbuck, Dr Simon Ellis, Dr Todd Rae, Dr Peter Shaw, Dr Julia Lehmann and Dr Beatrice Allegranti.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- An internet café is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, boasting full wireless connectivity as well as 50 work stations and plenty of space for laptops. IT support is available during all opening hours of the university library, via the IT helpdesk, including weekends 11.00–18.00.
- The Money Doctors Project is funded by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and was set up to support students in being financially capable so that they take control of their lives and their finances; to enable students to acknowledge financial problems without fear and embarrassment; and to encourage students to make choices through education, inform and advise to increase knowledge, skills and understanding.
- For more information on disability services at the University of Roehampton, telephone 020 8392 3403, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website.
- More information on the Students' Union at Roehampton can be found online.
- Sport Roehampton delivers a wide range of programmes for students, community and staff
- More than 25 sports clubs and activities, with an average of 65 sessions/classes available each week catering for the beginner, social or professional athlete
- Clubs and activities include traditional sports and team games as well as ultimate frisbee, zumba, cheerleading and fencing
- Sport Roehampton offers physiotherapy, podiatry and sports massage, as well as access to a range of sport support services. These are available to students and staff at a reduced rate. Sport Roehampton also works with a number of elite squads and athletes who make use of the state of the art laboratories on campus.
- Roehampton currently runs a sports scholarship programme which includes four annual £3,000 scholarships rewarding students for their commitment to sporting excellence.
- The Digby Stuart campus hosts a fully accessible on campus gym, ROEActive, which is air conditioned and equipped with the latest Cybex cardio-vascular equipment, together with a wide range of resistance training machines and free-weights. The superb range of equipment includes an audio visual entertainment system offering music, news, sport and light entertainment. The gym is accredited by the Inclusive Fitness Initiative.
- There are two football pitches and jogging track at the rear of Whitelands College.
- A Multi-Use Games Area, comprising a flood-lit, all-weather surface suitable for football, tennis and netball has been built at Froebel College
- Sport Roehampton enjoys a wide range of partnerships with external sporting bodies, creating opportunities for students to gain work experience in the sports industry
- The Move project engages local children and young people through sport and dance on campus each week and employs current students as coaches and mentors.
Recent/prospective new builds
- The £6-million Duchesne Building, opened by Cherie Booth QC, provides state-of-the-art teaching rooms. The innovative space boasts a 150-seat lecture theatre, exhibition and reception space and 11 teaching rooms, many with adaptable features and IT connectivity to allow for different teaching activities and methods.
- The university has opened a new square in Digby Stuart College. The Square will deliver a radical improvement in the circulation at the heart of the Roehampton Lane Campus providing direct unobstructed access between the colleges for pedestrians. The Square can be used for outside performances, social events and teaching and will be a great space for students and staff to use during breaks, meetings or for studying. Modern concrete benches and alcoves with integrated benches along the wall will provide seating and meeting space.
- A range of student facilities and services have recently opened including a media lab and newsroom which are being used in particular by students on media, journalism and film courses; a central information hub for all students which ensures a focal point at the heart of the campus for those needing advice and information on a wide range of services; and a new students’ union bar and revamped catering areas.
Availability of part-time work
- Roehampton's Student Employment Service offers students information on career choice, and assists with completing applications, clearing the selection process and finally capturing the job offer.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.