University of Roehampton2015 League Table Ranking 93
2015 Overall Score 558
View the 2015 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- The University of Roehampton has a proud and extensive history in higher education stretching back 175 years through our four Colleges. Our ethos derives from this rich collegiate history, built on community, engagement and partnership.
- Our Colleges were also among the first colleges of higher education in the country to admit women. Our rich collegiate history provides the foundations of our ethos today, which is built on community and partnership.
- We pride ourselves on the guarantee we make to all of our students: high levels of contact time with excellent teachers and researchers working at the cutting edge of their subject areas.
Location and Transport
- The University of Roehampton has the most beautiful campus in London. Our campus provides a close-knit community feel. We have modern, cutting edge facilities and a vibrant social scene. Best of all, our green, parkland campus is in the heart of south-west London, within easy reach of Putney and Hammersmith. It's offers the best of both worlds.
- Studying at a campus university provides a sense of community for our students, who also become a member of one of our four Colleges, through which we provide extensive advice and support and a wide range of social activities.
- Full details of entry requirements can be found on our website: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/Want-to-Apply/
The 8,530 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of study|
|Mode of study|
- The University is committed to providing our students with the option to pursue study abroad, and has a growing community of overseas students on study abroad programmes on our campus.
- We offer all of our students course flexibility, offering innovative programmes of study, enabling students to pursue particular areas of interest.
- Our academic teaching staff work are at the cutting edge of their subjects, which means their teaching is based on the very latest knowledge. Unlike many other universities, all of our students are taught by leading professors from their first year of study. Our size means that you'll get to know your lecturers and fellow students, giving you a more personal learning experience.
- The University of Roehampton achieved 86% for overall student satisfaction in the 2014 National Student Survey, with 87% of our students satisfied with their teaching. Our employment rates afterwards are testament to the quality of education we provide: the most recent DLHE survey of the employment of our graduates showed 92% in work or further study within six months of gaining their degrees.
- Roehampton has an excellent research profile: we are the most research-intensive modern university in the country.
- We have some of the most highly regarded academic departments in the UK, with two-thirds of our research judged either 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework survey of research quality.
- Our students, whether at undergraduate or postgraduate level, benefit from studying with top professors from their first year of study.
- Today the University has a broad range of expertise across the arts and humanities, business, social sciences and the human and life sciences, at the same time as maintaining its historic strength in education.
- 94% of our research in Dance was rated 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent', making it the best Dance department in the UK. We are the third best University in London for the quality of our research in Education, and the 4th best in London for English.
- Our teaching across our ten academic departments is excellent: in the 2014 National Student Survey, 87% of our students expressed satisfaction with our teaching.
- We offer excellent teaching facilities, including state-of-the-art lecture theatres, modern sport and science laboratories, dance studios, drama performance spaces and film and media facilities. Our Library is open 24 hours a day during peak times in the academic year, and at least until midnight all year round. There is access to computer suites 24 hours a day throughout the year.
- We have commenced ambitious plan to enhance our campus, which is already the best and most beautiful in London. This will allow us to continue to offer our students the best of both worlds: a stunning parkland campus, with modern facilities, in the heart of south-west London.
- Disability Services support disabled students throughout their time at Roehampton.
- We can communicate with your academic department, make exam arrangements, and help you apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance.
- For more information on disability services at the University of Roehampton, please visit the website. http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/Disabilities/
- The Roehampton Students' Union co-ordinate, facilitate and support a range of opportunities for students to engage, from joining student societies, volunteering on projects, presenting on our Fresh Air TV and radio stations, through to representing thier college in the College Cup. Student activities at Roehampton are as diverse as the students who organise them. Societies are for anyone and everyone; they cover a wide range of interests. Harry Potter fanatics can join the Hogwarts Society, where they can attend ‘potions class’ and participate in Quidditch matches. Those passionate about musical theatre, singing and dancing can join the Roehampton Players Society. Student can start up their own societies too.
- Based on our Froebel campus, the Union bar is the University’s main social hub with a fully stocked bar, a variety of food available and a popular schedule of events including Karaoke, Open Mic and Slap it on student DJ slots on throughout the week. The Union Bar and adjoining Monte Hall is also home to our legendary club night THE BOP, held every Friday night throughout the term. The Union bar is a great place to meet, study, work and play. In the summer, the Union courtyard plays host to a range of food stalls including major high street names.
- There is a huge variety of bars, pubs and clubs in Putney, Hammersmith and Clapham - all easily accessible by public transport. Central London is also only a tube or train ride away.
- Sport Roehampton offers a range of sports clubs, competitions, exercise classes, dance based activity, social and recreational sport as well as an on campus gym.
- Sport Roehampton also has a track record of supporting elite sport and has a number of elite and international standard student athletes.
- There are a number of scholarships and bursaries available for Roehampton students for those who are particularly talented.
On-campus sports facilities include:
- All weather floodlit multi use games area for tennis, netball, five-a-side football and basketball A full-size tennis court.
- Fully inclusive (IFI accredited) fitness suite with CV and resistance training equipment, air conditioning and personal entertainment systems
- Three dance studios with specialty, sprung floors and ceiling-to-floor mirrors
- An indoor gymnasium for fencing, badminton, basketball, volleyball, sitting volleyball, boccia and five-a-side football
- Two grass football pitches
Our teams, clubs and recreational programmes also enjoy access to a range of high quality local facilities, including the following (within walking distance of campus):
- The National Tennis Centre
- Bank of England Sports Centre
- Roehampton Club
- Roehampton Sport and Fitness Centre
- Richmond Park
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- The University of Roehampton has commenced an ambitious plan to enhance our campus, which is already the best and most beautiful in London. This will allow us to continue to offer our students the best of both worlds: a stunning parkland campus, with modern facilities, in the heart of south-west London.
- Our £80million masterplan will modernise facilities across the University, create new student accommodation and further improve our landscape for the benefit of our students, staff and the local community. The centrepiece of the strategy is the creation of a state-of-the-art library, which will be a visually impressive focal point that underlines our commitment to world leading teaching and research.
- New student accommodation is being built to meet rising demand, reflecting our growing national and international reputation. A total of 390 new high-quality bedrooms will be provided at Digby Stuart College. The accommodation will feature two garden courtyards for students to work or socialise. It will mean our student experience, already recognised as one of the best in the capital, will be even better. This is part of a wider project to provide a greater range of accommodation options. The University has already started the construction of over 210 new bedrooms new buildings around our Grade II listed Downshire House.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Our Unitemps service provides students part-time jobs or temporary jobs on-campus and nearby. And students can sign up before they begin with us.
- The University offers a significant range of paid internship opportunities to all of its students and to recent alumni.
- Our Graduate Mentoring Scheme partners our students with Roehampton alumni working in a variety of different work sectors both in London and internationally such as authors, journalists, scientists and teachers, helping them get tailored advice in a field in which they are interested and to build their networks.
- We offer our students personalised careers advice, CV workshops and online resources. Each of our academic department brings in guest speakers to talk to students about careers in which they have interest.
- Career skills are central to every one of our academic courses, so no matter what you study, we'll help give you the skills you'll need for the job market. We also offer a Career Mentoring Scheme, which will match you with a Roehampton graduate or friend of the University to help you to succeed. We know it works, as 92% of our graduates are in employment or further study within six months of graduation, one of the best rates in London.
- The Employability centre is based in the library and gives you advice on your career during your studies and after you graduate. A variety of drop-in sessions are available where you can get advice on your CV, find out what volunteering and work experience opportunities there are and brush up you interview technique.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.