The University of Sheffield
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Campus and Crime Map
- More than 5,500 university-owned places within walking distance of lectures and private housing reasonably priced as well as being available very close to lectures.
- Almost all students are guaranteed a room throughout their studies. Catered or self-catered, suburb or city.
- Endcliffe – 3,365 rooms including 2,481 en-suite.
- Ranmoor – 1,167 rooms all en suite.
- City and Central Campus – 1,285, including 889 en suite
- Gas, electric and water bills included.
- Free wi-fi included.
- Room contents insurance included.
The University of Sheffield
|Number of university/college beds||5,427|
|Typical annual cost of university/college accommodation*||£5,300–£5,300|
|Typical annual cost of private accommodation*||£4,300–£4,800|
Living in the City
- City Population: 553,000
- Student Population: 48,000
The rejuvenation of the city has put Sheffield back on the map, with the multi-million-pound remodelling of the city centre a major contributory factor. Known for its friendliness, it has long been a popular city with students, a high proportion of whom choose to stay, or return, and settle here. Students live throughout the city, rather than in isolated enclaves, demonstrating just how easy it is to get around. Rents and the cost of living are generally reasonable.
- The Supertram serves both universities, the city centre and a number of the main venues and buses are reliable with fares among the cheapest in the UK.
- Cycling is only for the fit or the determined as Sheffield is built on 7 hills; nevertheless, it has an excellent network of designated cycle routes.
- London is just over 160 miles away with frequent train services taking about 2 hours 15 minutes. The nearest airports are Manchester, East Midlands and Robin Hood Airport.
- Coaches serve many UK destinations.
Culture and Nightlife
Culture and nightlife
- Sheffield has more than 30 cinema screens, including those at the acclaimed independent Showroom Cinema. Two main theatres, the Crucible and Lyceum, along with the smaller Studio theatre provide the largest theatre complex outside London's South Bank.
- The Motorpoint Arena and Sheffield City Hall are the two main concert venues, whilst the Leadmill and Octagon Centre put on regular gigs. Sheffield has a reputation for a vibrant music scene and legendary clubs.
- The Millennium Galleries house major exhibitions from the V & A and the Tate. Kelham Island Museum provides an insight into Sheffield's steel and cutlery industries.
- Sheffield has three climbing centres; an Olympic-size swimming pool and the world's deepest diving pool.
- Ice hockey (Sheffield Steelers) and basketball (Sheffield Sharks) are both based at the Arena. There are two football teams, Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United, and Rugby League. Ice Sheffield provides for ice-skating and the world's biggest bouldering wall is at The Climbing Works.
- One third of Sheffield is within the Peak District National Park, a Mecca for hill walking and rock climbing enthusiasts.
- All the high-street brands (and more) can be found in the city centre with the Devonshire Quarter being a particular favourite for independent designers.
- Ecclesall Road offers a range of boutiques whilst the Meadowhall complex is one of the largest shopping malls in Europe.
Proximity to City Centre
- University of Sheffield's main campus is just over a mile west of the city centre.