University of St Andrews2014 League Table Ranking 6
2014 Overall Score 891
View the 2014 league tables
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Founded in 1413.
- Oldest university in Scotland.
- Third oldest university in the English speaking world.
- No campus as university integrated with town: ancient buildings juxtaposed with state of the art science facilities.
Location and transport
- St Andrews is set in a spectacular position on the east coast of Scotland.
- On one side of the town are the wooded hills of the Fife countryside. To the north and east the town looks out over a rocky headland to the dramatic waters of the North Sea.
- Much of Scotland can be accessed conveniently from St Andrews. Edinburgh airport is an hour away.
- Find out more about entry requirements at St Andrews online.
- 55% women, 45% men.
- 52% UK, 15% EU, 34% overseas.
- Around 10 applications for every place.
- Students are admitted to Faculties-Arts, Science, Divinity, Medicine.
- Semesters and modules.
- Consistently one of the top mainstream university for student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012).
- Best for teaching and research in Scotland.
- Consistently in UK top ten.
- Ranked 34th in world for Arts & Humanities (THE World University Rankings 2012).
- In 2009–10 total value of research grants awarded was over £36 million.
- University has produced more directors of FTSE 100 companies in proportion to its size than any other educational institution in Britain, according to Institute of Employment Research.
- At 98%, has one of the highest completion rates in the UK.
- Telephone +44 (0)1334 462020 or visit the website.
- Known as Students' Association. Find out about the Students' Association at St Andrews online.
- Sixty acres adjacent hall, university flats and science teaching complex.
- Visit the website for information about sport at St Andrews.
Recent/prospective new builds
- A brand new, purpose-built medical school offering outstanding facilities for teaching and learning opened in 2010.
- Redevelopment of the library and student residences underway.
Availability of part-time work
- 45% students in paid work during semesters.
St Andrews’ graduates include statesmen, inventors, authors, political leaders and journalists.
Among them are:
- Inventor of the logarithm, John Napier.
- James Wilson, one of the fathers of the American Constitution.
- Nobel Prize Winner Sir James Black.
- First Minister of Scotland, Alex Salmond.
- Writer Fay Weldon,
- Actress Siobhan Redmon.
- Actors Michael Forsythe and Crispin Bonham-Carter.
- Broadcaster Hazel Irvine.
- HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.