St Mary's University College
|Academic services spend
- St Mary's University College has a long and distinguished history as a Catholic college for the education of teachers.
- Founded in 1850, St Mary's now offers a very wide range of degrees across many disciplines.
- In September 2006, St Mary's became a University College.
Location and transport
- St Mary's is situated in a safe leafy suburb just a few minutes away from the River Thames.
- Teddington, Twickenham, Kingston and Richmond are close by.
- Strawberry Hill Station is five minutes away and it is 30 minutes by train into central London.
- Most courses ask for 240–280 points but subjects have specific subject requirements.
- Those doing A-levels will be asked for CCC or BCC as a minimum entry requirement.
- Female to male ratio, 2:1.
- The vast majority of students are from state schools.
- The number of overseas students is increasing.
- In 2007 the government agency for quality and standards confirmed that St Mary's is well resourced and that students benefit from the supportive environment.
- St Mary's has a good community ethos and students benefit from good interaction with staff.
- St Mary's has a culture of research and scholarship supported by discrete research centres, research seminar programmes and conferences.
- We have number of areas of research strength in the physical sciences and humanities – notably English Language and Literature, Theology and Education.
- St Mary's is very well established reputation for excellence in the areas of Education, Sport and Theology and has a high level of achievement in many other areas.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- Students have access to a state-of-the-art learning resource centre, internet cafe, open access IT suites and a wide range of services to support studies.
- There are a substantial number of study spaces.
- Other facilities include TV studio, radio studio, dance and drama studios and extensive sport labs and facilities.
Disability and dyslexia services
- For information on the dyslexia and disability services at St Mary’s, contact: Mrs Patricia Culshaw, Dyslexia and Disability Co-ordinator, telephone 020 8240 4353, or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Students' Union is committed to providing social events, support and information and to be a voice for students.
- The union has its own building with a bar and a wide range of leisure facilities, including a multipurpose hall, containing its own performance stage and pool table.
- There is a projector screen in the bar, playing a mix of Sky Sports, ESPN and music channels.
- There are dozens of clubs and societies catering for just about every interest.
- Arguably one of London’s top performing sports institution.
- Extensive sports facilities including a strength and conditioning suite and floodlit running track equipped to world-class performance standards.
- Funding available for high performance athletes.
- St Mary's regards all sports participation as important and provides a wide range of clubs and activities which are available to every student in the University College.
- St Mary’s endurance performance and coaching centre provides a world-class endurance environment
Recent/prospective new builds
- New halls of residence 2006, new refectory 2007 and new sport facilities 2009.
Availability of part-time work
- Bar work, shop work and sport related work close to St Mary's due to locality.
- Student Ambassador scheme.
- Accredited work experience modules available as part of degree programmes.
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.