St Mary's University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 1.98 / 4.00
- 4.13 / 5.00
- 66.6 / 100.0
- 81.3 / 100.0
- 59.4 / 100.0
- St Mary’s is a successful, London-based university with strong international links founded on Catholic values, providing a warm and welcoming environment for all students.
- Founded in 1850, St Mary's University has a long and distinguished history within higher education and will be celebrating its 165th anniversary.
- It gained full university status in January 2014, with Francis Campbell taking on the role of Vice-Chancellor and His Eminence Cardinal Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster, appointed as Chancellor.
Location and Transport
- St Mary's is situated in the London Borough of Richmond-upon-Thames, a safe leafy suburb just a few minutes away from the river.
- Teddington, Twickenham, Kingston and Richmond are close by.
- Excellent transport links – just 30 minutes by train into central London.
- Most courses ask for 240–280 points but some subjects have specific requirements.
- Those studying A levels will be asked for CCC or BCC as a minimum entry requirement.
The 5,335 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 73%
- Postgraduate 27%
Mode of study
- Full Time 75%
- Part Time 25%
- UK 93%
- EU 3%
- Other 3%
- Male 45%
- Female 55%
- Part-time study.
- Workplacement opportunities.
- Foundation degrees.
- Study Abroad programme.
- Postgraduate Distance Learning.
- St Mary’s has a proud reputation in training teachers.
- Both our Primary and Secondary Initial Education programmes were rated outstanding by Ofsted when last inspected in 2011.
- 88% student satisfaction rate in the National Student Survey 2015.
- Several degrees offer professional accreditations.
- St Mary's has a culture of research and scholarship supported by discrete research centres, research seminar programmes and academic conferences.
- Among the seven Units of Assessment submitted to the REF, the English and Communications Units were rated as '‘world leading' or 'internationally excellent' in 61% and 60% of their respective Output submissions.
- Other successes include Sport and History in which 50% of the Output submissions were either 'world leading' or '‘internationally excellent'.
- St Mary's has recently launched the Centre for the Study of Modern Slavery and appointed UK Anti-Slavery Commissioner, Kevin Hyland OBE, as a Visiting Professor.
- St Mary's is very well established reputation for excellence in the areas of Education, Sport and Theology and has a high level of achievement in many other areas.
- Students have access to a state-of-the-art library, internet cafe, open access IT suites and a wide range of services to support studies.
- A new £6m library was opened in autumn 2015.
- State-of-the-art Media Arts Suite.
- State-of-the-art Strength and Conditioning Suite.
- Other facilities include dance and drama studios and extensive sport labs and facilities.
- New student services centre.
- The Disability and Dyslexia Team work closely with the other members of the Student Services team, providing support across many areas in private and confidential environment.
- For more information about disability services at St Mary’s, please contact our Disability and Dyslexia Co-ordinator: 020 8240 4000 | firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Students' Union is committed to providing social events, support and information and to be a voice for students.
- Located in its own building with a bar and a wide range of leisure facilities, including a multipurpose hall, containing its own performance stage.
- Bar screen playing a mix of Sky Sports, ESPN and music channels.
- Over 40 clubs and societies catering for just about every interest.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Plenty of job opportunities in bars, shops and sport-related within the borough.
- Student Ambassador training scheme.
- Accredited work experience modules available as part of degree programmes.
- A dedicated careers service is available to students.
- The Careers Team will help students find part-time work during their studies and graduate level jobs.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- An £8.5 million sports facility project was completed in 2011.
- A new £6 million library opened in 2015.
- £250k strength and conditioning suite opened in 2014.
- £350k media suite, new for 2014.
- A brand new student services centre.
- Pete Postlethwaite, OBE – actor.
- Mo Farah, CBE – long-distance and middle-distance runner, current Olympic, World and European champion in the 5000 metres to 10,000 metres.
- Andrew Osagie – runner specialising in the 800 metres.
- Mohamed Sbihi – Olympic rower.
- Clara Amfo – Radio 1 presenter.
|Address||St Mary's University Waldegrave Road Strawberry Hill Twickenham TW1 4SX|