Swansea University2014 League Table Ranking 48
2014 Overall Score 653
View the 2014 league tables
Pre-arrival and orientation
- Swansea University offers a a week of welcome and orientation events in September. We have friendly students available throughout the period to help new students settle in quickly by answering any questions and helping to solve any difficulties that may arise.
- There are computing facilities at the Helpdesk where students can send a quick email home to inform family and friends about safe arrival ... and what a great time they are having!
- Swansea also runs a university Meet and Greet service from Heathrow Airport for which pre-registration and a small charge is made. More information is available on the website.
- Both new undergraduate and postgraduate students are guaranteed a place in a university residence provided they hold and accept a firm offer to study on a full-time course, and make an application for accommodation by 30 June.
- A small quota of additional rooms is held for late applying/arriving international students.
- There are 1,200 rooms on the university’s main campus and an additional 1,600 at the student village which is just over 3 km (2 miles) from campus, connected by a regular bus service. There is also a postgraduate residence, Beck House, which is 1.5 km (1 mile) from campus.
- Both part-catered and self-catered options are available, and wireless internet is provided free of charge in university residences.
- International students are spread evenly throughout the halls of residence, rather than clustered together.
- Students may stay in their accommodation during vacations.
- Rents range from £73 per week for a standard room to £103 per week for an en suite room (2011–12).
- Full information and images of all University housing options is available on the website.
English language requirement
English language scores for Swansea’s undergraduate courses are:
- IELTS: 6.0.
- TOEFL: 213.
- TOEFL (IBT): 79.
Scholarships and bursaries
- Swansea offers a range of scholarships and bursaries covering all academic courses and levels of study. Please visit the website for more information.
International Student Breakdown
Further information for international undergraduate degree students
International Development Office
- Tel: 00 44 (0) 1792 602365
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.swansea.ac.uk/international/students/
Why study at Swansea University?
- Accredited as a QS Stars world university five star institution for Internationalisation, Teaching, Infrastructure, and (Community) Engagement.
- Scholarships of up to £3,000 available.
- A friendly, safe, city location by the sea, only three hours from London by direct train.
- Strong links with multinational companies including Boeing, Ericsson, IBM, Rolls-Royce, and Sony.
- 36th in the UK for overall research quality (RAE 2008).
- Civil Engineering ranked 2nd in the UK (RAE 2008).
- General Engineering ranked 5th in the UK (RAE 2008).
- Computer Science ranked 21st in the UK (RAE 2008).
- Nearly 50% of Swansea University’s research is rated as world-leading or internationally excellent.
- No overseas campus.
Student organisations for international students
- The Students’ Union at Swansea offers a wide range of societies including cultural, sporting, community, charity, performance, faith and political. Full information is available on the website.
Advice for International Students
- General Advice
- British University History, Culture & the Weather
- Applying to a British University
- Entry and Employment Regulations
- English Language Tests and Requirements
- Managing Your Money
- Student Jobs
- Student Accommodation
International Students in the UK
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.