- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 2.58 / 4.00
- 4.13 / 5.00
- 59.2 / 100.0
- 80.5 / 100.0
- 57.5 / 100.0
- Teesside University is dynamic and energetic, celebrating over 80 years of innovative and inspiring education.
- Teesside University has invested a quarter of a billion pounds in its campus in recent years. The recent wave of innovations has introduced a new five-story £20m teaching building – it offers a 200 seat lecture theatre and 1,476m² of flexible teaching and learning space. This landmark building stands in the heart of the campus, surrounded by a newly refurbished library and the university’s award-winning Students’ Union.
- Teesside offers a range of popular subjects from animation to law, business and health to media and forensic science.
- Officially opened in 1930 as Constantine Technical College by the then Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VIII, to support Middlesbrough’s booming engineering and shipping industries.
Location and Transport
- Based in the centre of the friendly town of Middlesbrough, sandwiched between the North Yorkshire Moors and the north east coast, Teesside University is accessible by road, rail and air.
- Teesside University's vibrant town centre campus in central Middlesbrough, is only a short walk away from the main bus and train stations which link to local and national routes.
- A second campus in Darlington, close to Darlington’s train station on the East Coast mainline.
- Excellent transport links. London and Edinburgh are less than three hours away and York, Durham and Newcastle are one hour away by train. Durham Tees Valley airport links Middlesbrough to the rest of the world.
- With international art gallery mima, a cinema, clubs, bars and restaurants, Middlesbrough offers a lively night life, and an abundance of art, festivals and culture.
- Check the entry criteria for undergraduate and postgraduate courses at Teesside online.
- If you don’t meet the entry requirements for any of Teesside’s courses, give us a call as the admissions team are always happy to discuss what other experience you have. It may be that you can offer something other than the traditional tariff points. Each of Teesside’s course pages has a dedicated advice number for application queries.
- If you’re an international student, you need to have a good level of English to go to Teesside as all of the university’s courses are delivered in the English language.
- Teesside University's website provides lots of advice and support about international entry requirements.
The 17,920 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 89%
- Postgraduate 11%
Mode of study
- Full Time 55%
- Part Time 45%
- UK 94%
- EU 1%
- Other 5%
- Male 44%
- Female 56%
- Lots of Teesside University’s courses give the option of studying part-time, taking a sandwich year or some work experience, spending some time in industry or going on a paid or unpaid placement.
- Some courses offer the chance to study abroad.
- With 85 years of teaching excellence, Teesside University has a strong and growing academic record.
- Teesside University scored 86% for overall satisfaction in the 2015 National Student Survey (up from 85% in 2014). 89% of students would recommend the university to others.
- You may not know that Teesside University was awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize for Excellence.
- There are five research institutes committed to fostering research excellence at Teesside.
- The university ensures its programmes are appropriately underpinned by research scholarships and evidence-based contemporary professional practice.
- Lots of research events take place on campus which may be useful to you as a supplement to your learning, or just as a point of interest.
- As a student at Teesside, you may be taught by a leading professor in your field.
Find out more about research at Teesside University on its research pages which can be accessed from the home page.
- Teaching and learning is at the heart of academic standards at the university.
- Teesside University offers many industry-recognised and accredited courses. Gain practical experience working in business and industry, or get paid for doing a placement year.
- Design, computer science, nursing and health subjects have all performed well in teaching assessments (Quality Assurance Agency).
- The university has a reputation for particular expertise in computer games design, animation, media and sport and exercise.
- Teesside has one of the largest UK higher education course portfolios in forensic science and investigation, criminology and police training.
- Teesside's international reputation for animation and computer games design courses resulted in a ranking of one of the top 20 places in the world to study these subjects (3D World). The University's Animex Festival attracts top animators from Hollywood.
- Built on Teesside University’s world-renowned expertise and reputation in digital media and digital technology, DigitalCity is creating a thriving cluster of digital and creative businesses in the Tees Valley – 200 high-tech business start-ups.
- Many of Teesside’s students have gone on to great success with their academic achievements. The University’s website has lots of online student profiles which help you get a feel for study at Teesside.
Type of Qualification:
- Located in its iconic campus heart, Teesside University's library offers four floors of high-quality resources with experienced staff on-hand to help you get the best out of the space. There are 1,300 places for individual and group study, access to more than 40,000 books and 29,500 journals, 400 PCs and specialist academic librarians for each subject area.
- Teesside University is always striving to offer the optimum student experience and as part of this a further £5m is set to be invested in the library very soon.
- Just beside the library is Teesside University's £22m landmark teaching building, the Curve. Offering 1,476m2 of flexible and innovative learning space, it’s a brilliant place to study and work together.
- New for 2016, Teesside University's sports centre offers fitness and free weights areas, a sprint track, multi-purpose studios and a sauna.
- Teesside University has lots of specialist facilities including a replica courtroom and a film and TV archive dating from 1912.
- Teesside’s disability service team can provide information, advice and guidance to support students with any form of mental health concern or autistic spectrum disorder.
- Get more information about disability services on our website.
- In 2015, Teesside University Students’ Union was awarded gold in the annual Best Bar None Awards for the quality of its social spaces and licensed premises.
- Following a £1.1m development in the summer of 2014, the Students’ Union offers an excellent new bar and events space, the Hub, the Terrace Bar, places to eat, support services, advice, social spaces, a shop, sports clubs and societies.
- There’s a job service too which can help you find part-time work.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The Link in the Students’ Union offers lots of opportunities for part-time work. It has matched over 14,000 students with vacancies since it was launched.
- Employment as student mentors and ambassadors is very popular at Teesside – the roles involve working at University events and with schools and colleges across the Tees Valley and North Yorkshire.
- Being employed by the university – which understands your commitment to study and deadlines – is a great advantage if you want the opportunity to build up solid work experience flexibly and locally.
- Teesside University focuses on your career and preparing you for the world of work ─ not just your graduation day.
- It provides excellent support from day one through advice, fairs, workshops, mentoring and job searches to guide you towards achieving your job and career goals.
- You can get support from Teesside University's careers service for up to two years after graduating.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- Following a wave of innovations, Teesside University has an abundance of newly built and refurbished buildings on its main Middlesbrough campus. The Curve, a new five-story £20m teaching building offers a 200 seat lecture theatre and 1,476m² of flexible teaching and learning space. This landmark building stands in the heart of the newly pedestrianised campus, surrounded by a newly refurbished library and the University’s award winning Students’ Union, which has also recently spent £1m on an impressive re-fit.
- Reflecting its growth and success in engineering and science, Teesside has just spent £6m enhancing its facilities in the School of Science and Engineering. Showing off its industry-standard equipment, Teesside’s Orion building now features a three-storey glass extension.
- As well as lots of fresh new teaching space, we’re sure you’ll love Teesside’s new Health and Fitness Centre which offers state-of-the-art cardiovascular and resistance areas, multi-purpose studios and a sauna and steam room.
- Teesside University has recently opened its newest accommodation directly opposite the University. It’s handy for lectures, the Students’ Union and town centre. There are 75 apartments available here, grouped into smaller clusters of between four and eight study bedrooms. Rooms are all single and en-suite. Internet access is free. Kitchen and diner areas are shared and there’s a laundry on site.
- Comedy legend, Bob Mortimer was awarded with an honorary degree in 2014. Bob follows BBC Breakfast presenter, Steph McGovern and actor Mark Benton who were received honorary degrees in 2013.
- Marek Reichman, BA (Hons) Industrial Design is a graduate of Teesside – Marek is a design director for Aston Martin, designing James Bond’s car in Casino Royale.
- Deborah Dyer (aka Skin) achieved a BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design – Deborah is lead singer of Skunk Anansie.
- Andrew Lomas, MSc Computer Aided Graphical Technology Applications is also a Teesside University alumni – Andrew worked on Avatar's computer graphics alongside director, James Cameron.
|Address||Teesside University Middlesbrough Tees Valley TS1 3BA|