Truro and Penwith College
- Truro and Penwith College has been offering university courses since 1998.
- Over the last 14 years the College has grown and now has over 1,000 students.
- The College was awarded 'Full Confidence' by the QAA for Higher Education and recognised as having 11 areas of good practice.
Location and transport
- Truro College is easily accessible from the city centre and is situated close to the park-and-ride with a regular bus service.
- Penwith is in the heart of Penzance, with stunning views over Mounts Bay and St Michaels Mount.
- Both campuses are close to the beautiful Cornish coast and countryside.
- Shared student accommodation is available at our Tregye Campus.
- Truro, Falmouth and Penzance offer a range of rental opportunities for students.
- The Student Services Team are able to help find suitable accommodation. Please visit the website for information.
- Entry requirements are listed with each course on our website.
- ALL applicants will be interviewed before being offered a place, either by phone or face-to-face.
- We accept students from a wide variety of backgrounds and qualifications.
- 904 students based across our three campus – Truro, Tregye and Penwith (2011).
- 47% men, 53% women.
- We offer the traditional three year single bachelor degree or 2 year foundation degree/HND.
- Students can choose to study individual modules from courses. This can be achieved through 'Infill' or by doing a SUCCESS module.
- There is part-time provision available for a range of higher education courses.
- Higher education at the College has been recognised as having 11 areas of good practice by the QAA for Higher Education (2011).
- All staff teaching on higher or further education courses have a teaching qualification.
- The Oftsed inspection in 2008 stated teaching standards were 'Outstanding'.
- Many staff are engaged in research and scholarly activity and remain active as practitioners in their profession.
- All staff teaching on higher education courses are expected to take part in scholarly activity and research.
- Industry professionals contribute to the content of each course, thus ensuring students leave with currency in their chosen industry.
- Smaller classes allow students to receive good support and tailored teaching, thus ensuring each student reaches their full potential.
- In 2011, 91% of PGCE students were offered a teaching job.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- The Learning Resources Team boasts a vast range of IT equipment and computers (including Mac and PC) for student use.
- Professional and approachable study skills support staff are available in all library facilities.
- Fal food village, affectionately known as Freshers, is the central hub of student activity with wifi, sofas, coffee bar, diner and outdoor space.
- Many students discover during their course that they require some additional help with an aspect of their studies. The College will always endeavour to meet these needs and in the Study Centres you will find staff who can offer support in a number of areas including: study skills, English, maths, proof reading and statistics. Support is available for students with specific learning needs.
- At the Truro campus there are study centres in the Tresillian, Mylor, Lynher, Fal, Allen, Percuil and Kenwyn buildings at the main campus and one at Tregye. Students can attend either on a drop-in basis or pre-book a more structured session. There is a subject specific centre for Languages based in the Helford buidling, Sport and Community Studies in the Lynher building and Business and Law in Percuil.
- At the Penwith campus support is available for students with specific learning needs. The College has a study centre in Porthcorno Learning Resource Centre. Students can pre-book a session.
- Our ever-growing student population means increasing chances for students to get involved in our Students Association.
- Keep your eyes peeled during September and October for ways to get involved.
- There are regular opportunities to compete and try sports including surfing, gig rowing, rugby, football, fencing, American football and cricket
- 3G Astro turf, rugby pitches, Cornwall Cricket Centre, gym, swimming pool and exercise labs all on-site.
- Scholarships available for students achieving sporting excellence.
Recent/prospective new builds
- The White Building, opened September 2012 to accommodate the Faculty of Art & Design in brand new state-of-the-art facilities.
- The Seaton Building, opened September 2012 to accommodate the Faculty of Engineering – an area of higher education that the College will be expanding.
- Penwith has a new university building, Lamorna, which opened in June 2011.
Availability of part-time work
- At the start of each year we recruit Student Ambassadors to work at College events.
- Truro is a buzzing city with many opportunities for retail jobs.
- Cornwall is a summer holiday destination hot-spot and thus offers opportunities for a whole range of seasonal work.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.