BUCS University Sports Table
The table (download here) lists the availability of sports facilities by university. Note that the data used to compile this table is based on returns completed by individual institutions and has not been subject to independent verification. Only BUCS institutions that have made a return are included in the table.
- BUCS ranking – the table shows the ranking for the 2010–11 overall BUCS points table. Current rankings can been seen here.
- Teams in BUCS Premier Leagues – the number of university teams in the BUCS Premier Leagues.
- Swimming pools – indicates if the university has a swimming pool; 'other' indicates that the university has a pool but it is neither 25m nor 50m.
- A star rating for the range of and availability of/access to swimming pools, indoor dry sports facilities, winter pitches, outdoor courts and taught classes (1* the worst, 5* the best).
- Fitness equipment – the number of fitness machines available; * indicates that the gym has an IFI Accreditation (Inclusive Fitness Initiative – a programme that supports the fitness industry to become more inclusive, catering for the needs of disabled and non-disabled people alike).
- Sports with intra-mural competitions – how many sports include intra-mural competitions.
- Sports scholarships/bursaries – the number of sports-related scholarships and bursaries available. Note that the nature and value of the awards vary between institutions. Read more about bursaries and scholarships.
- Forms of elite athlete sport – the number of different forms of support available to elite athletes. These might include services such as physiotherapy, strength and conditioning, and nutrition advice.