University College Birmingham2014 League Table Ranking 123
2014 Overall Score 340
View the 2014 league tables
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- The origins of the University can be traced back to the late 19th century.
- It has an established UK and international reputation as a leading provider of vocational management education.
- Longstanding association with University of Birmingham which accredits University College Birmingham Foundation and Undergraduate Degrees and Postgraduate qualifications.
- Granted full university status at the end of 2012.
Location and transport
- Based in the busy and bustling city centre of Birmingham, close to the main shopiing and social areas.
- Halls of residence a few minutes walk away.
- In the centre of the UK – road and rail access is excellent and Birmingham airport is only 20 minutes away.
- Entrance requirements vary for different courses. Details can be found on the UCB website or on the UCAS site.
- We welcome undergraduate applications from candidates with A level or equivalent qualifications and non-traditional entry qualifications such as vocational qualifications and relevant work experience.
- International students, please visit our website for helpful information on how to apply, tuition fees and guidance on what levels of written and spoken English are required.
- Currently 3,349 female HE student enrolments and 1,661 male HE student enrolments (2012–13 figures).
- Over 1,100 international HE students.
- All programmes have 'options' modules which enable students to choose pathways of interest.
- The majority of study programmes either include integral placement years or the option to do a placement year. Unlike many other institutions, there is no additional tuition fee for this.
- Flexible opportunities exist to study a language, either as a compulsory part of a course or an option, in the University College's Modern Languages Centre.
- Degree and postgraduate qualifications are accredited by the University of Birmingham or awarded by University College Birmingham.
- 85% agreement by UCB students (above top quartile results for all HEIs) that courses enhance students' personal development in terms of confidence, communication and problem solving skills (National Student Survey).
- A teaching- and learning-led institution with a strong commitment to vocational skills.
- The quality of academic standards and learning opportunities available to students confirmed by the most recent QAA audit 2011 and Ofsted inspection 2012.
- The auditors identified as good practice the opportunities, support and information provided for students to make the transition to higher education successfully and progress to a range of awards.
- University College Birmingham is the UK's specialist institution for HE management programmes in the fields of hospitality and tourism and the service sectors. Specialisms include business, sports therapy, early years and initial teacher training, business, events management, food management, marketing, culinary arts, and spa management.
- Many courses are recognised and accredited by professional bodies, for example the Society of Sports Therapists, the Teaching Agency, the Institute of Hospitality, the Chartered Institute of Marketing, and the Tourism Management Institute.
- Strong links with industry underpin the excellent placement opportunities available to students and also ensure that our programmes are up to date and in line with providing the skills and training students need for their chosen careers.
- Excellent international study exchange opportunities.
- Via National Student Survey, students rated 86% satisfaction for overall experience at UCB (above mean results for all HEIs), and 76% agree academic support is good (above mean score for all HEIs).
Student facilities, including library and computing
- Open day visitors regularly comment on the high quality of UCB facilities.
- Excellent study areas including impressive library with specialist subject librarians, computer suites and resource centre.
- Specialist training facilities include restaurants, a health and leisure club, hairdressing and beauty therapy salons, food and beverage test laboratories, a culinary demonstration theatre, sports therapy clinics and top industry-standard kitchens.
- The Learning and Skills Development Centre offers excellent study support facilities for students, often helping individuals reach higher levels of achievement.
- University College Birmingham is committed to providing an educational experience of the highest quality for students with disability or learning issues.
- We welcome applications from all students, regardless of physical disability, medical conditions or other special needs.
- For information on disability services at UCB, visit the website or contact the Specific Learning Needs Co-ordinator, Clive Davies on 0121 604 1000, extension 623.
- Proactive Student guild active in all areas of student life: from activities, including social events, sport and campaigns to student representation, making sure that the student voice is heard in all areas of the institution. Being a reliable and approachable source for information, advice and guidance is integral to Guild life.
- The Guild organises all of UCB’s Sport teams and has enjoyed a number of successful years, with nine different teams winning their leagues over the last 3 years.
- The Guild has worked hard to develop a professional approach to sport and employs some fantastic, experienced coaches to work with each team. Each team is also assigned two UCB sport therapists to aid in fitness, rehab and nutrition.
- Sports facilities include a multi-use sports hall, gym and spa, and an affiliation with a local rugby club. Students have access to pitches and facilities rented by the Guild for UCB use.
- A new, off-site sports facility, including grass and all weather pitches for football, hockey, cricket and rugby, will be available in the near future.
- UCB offers 15 different sports teams ranging from Basketball to Cricket and also a number of non competitive societies designed to encourage student participation.
Recent/prospective new builds
- A brand new £25-m college site is being developed, ready to open in autumn 2013, and will incorporate the highest levels of sustainability and energy efficient.
- It will increase teaching and learning facilities by 25%.
- Facilities will include a dedicated Postgraduate Centre, large and small lecture theatres, a 24-hour flexible learning hub, 200-seat café and increased social areas for students.
Availability of part-time work
- Based in the heart of the city, close to major retailing centres, hotels, restaurants, conference venues and the business quarter, there is a wide range of opportunities for students seeking part-time, casual and seasonal work.
- Our intranet jobshop facility enables students to access vacancy information 24/7, 365 days per year.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.