Falmouth University2014 League Table Ranking 60
2014 Overall Score 612
View the 2014 league tables
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Falmouth Art School was founded in 1902. There is a campus at Woodlane, Falmouth and a second campus at Tremough, Penryn shared with the University of Exeter.
- Awarded taught degree awarding powers in 2004 and in 2005 changed its name to University College Falmouth.
- In April 2008 the College merged with Dartington College of Arts, near Totnes, creating a third campus.
- In December 2012 the institution became Falmouth University.
Location and transport
- Set in Cornwall; a place of outstanding natural beauty with miles of unspoilt coastline, golden beaches and rugged moors.
- Falmouth is easily accessible by rail, road and air.
- There are good transport links between the two campuses in Cornwall.
- Falmouth (incorporating Dartington) does not just think in terms of A levels – we welcome many qualifications, try us.
- Your portfolio, interview, motivation and thirst for the subject help us to determine whether this is the place for you.
- Many of our offers are unconditional (50%+), our conditional offers average 220 UCAS tariff points.
- Visit the website for more information on entry standards at Falmouth University.
- 2,900 students across the Falmouth, Tremough and Dartington campuses.
- Female 60%, male 40% with some variation by course e.g. textiles 97% female, broadcasting 65% male.
- International students 5%: 3% from the EU; 92% from the UK (including 52% from the South West).
- Applications to places ratios: arts (Routes A & B) 4:1; design (Routes A & B) 2:1; media (mostly Route A) 3:1; performing arts (Route A) 3:1.
- Route B applicants are more successful as this guarantees an interview and another three months for portfolio preparation.
- Not all universities are the same. Judge for yourself and visit us on an Open Day.
- Most of our degrees are single honours, e.g. on a graphic design all your study is related to graphic design.
- Our performing arts degrees allow you to combine theatre, fine art, music, writing and choreography.
- Some degrees can be studied on a part-time basis.
- Art and design courses achieved the maximum 24/24 rating from the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.
- Competing with over 100 other universities, the University has recently been awarded Skillset Academy status for its media courses.
- The University runs and internal teaching qualification (PGCHE) for staff to ensure high a high teaching, learning and assessment quality.
- The University achieved four ratings in both History of Art, Architecture & Design and Music in the 2001 Research Assessment Exercise.
- 71% of academic staff submitted to the 2008 RAE in Music, Theatre, Choreography, Visual Performance and Performance Writing.
- The University has hosted some 50 PhD completions, the majority involving practice-led research.
- The University specializes in Art, Design, Media and Performance.
- Boundaries are there to be broken, so students are encouraged to push the limits of their creative thinking.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- Film theatre, art and design studios, specialist workshops, media centre, photography centre, dance studio, music master classes.
- Digital editing facilities, video conferencing, industry standard software such as Dreamweaver, Avid, Flash, AutoCAD.
- Macs and PCs, Rapid Prototyping Machine, Moodle, three libraries, DVD collection, slide collection, electronic journals, specialist magazines and journals.
- FXU is a unique union as it represents both Falmouth University students as well as University of Exeter, Cornwall campus students.
- Many water sports activities as the University is by the sea.
- Making students' part of the community is important and a range of original community action opportunities are available.
- Find out more on the FXU website.
- Sports Centre with gymnasium, exercise studio and multi-use games area.
- For more information on sport at Falmouth University, please visit the website.
Recent/prospective new builds
- New Photographic Centre opened on Tremough Campus in autumn 2007, with an extension to the Media Centre. Also 400 more student residences shared with the University of Exeter.
- A new Performance Centre opened in summer 2010.
- New student residences.
Availability of part-time work
- Tourist related work: hotels, bars, restaurants, beach lifeguard and guides in tourist venues such as the Maritime Museum.
- The University employs students as mentors (to help other students) and ambassadors (on Open Days and interview days).
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.