University College London2014 League Table Ranking 7
2014 Overall Score 859
View the 2014 league tables
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- Founded in 1826 – England's third oldest university.
- The first university in England to admit students of any race, class or religion.
- The first university in England to welcome women on equal terms with men.
- Joined with the School of Pharmacy to form the UCL School of Pharmacy in 2012.
- Television and film broadcasters/writers include Jonathan Ross, Vivienne Parry, Margaret Mountford, Sir Jonathan Miller , Ricky Gervais, Andrew Davies, Bel Mooney, Jonathan Dimbleby and Christopher Nolan.
- Musicians include Chris Martin and all three other members of the band Coldplay, as well as two members of the band Keane.
- Authors include linguist David Crystal, Stella Gibbons, Robert Browning, Rabindranath Tagore, Raymond Briggs and G. K. Chesterton.
- Scientists and engineers to have attended UCL include Marie Stopes, Alexander Graham Bell, Francis Crick, John Ambrose Fleming, Joseph Lister, Roger Penrose, Colin Chapman, Patrick Head, physicist and astrobiologist Paul Davies, evolutionary biologist John Maynard Smith and the aforementioned Bell.
- Artists, architects and designers include Antony Gormley, Sir William Coldstream, Sir Eduardo Paolozzi, Ben Nicholson and David Mlinaric.
- Politicians include Sir Stafford Cripps, William Wedgwood Benn, 1st Viscount Stansgate, the first and former prime ministers of Japan (Hirobumi Ito and Junichiro Koizumi respectively) and Chaim Herzog, the former President of Israel. Moreover, the founding father of Kenya, Jomo Kenyatta was a UCL graduate. Wu Tingfang (Ng Choy) was Minister of Foreign Affairs and Acting Premier during the early days of the Republic of China. The Lord Mayor of the City of London 2008–9, Ian Luder is also an UCL alumnus.
- Prominent Law graduates include a Lord Chancellor (Lord Herschell), the former Chief Justices of England (Lord Woolf), Hong Kong (Sir Yang Ti-liang), India (A.S. Anand) and Ghana (Samuel Azu Crabbe), two Masters of the Rolls (Lord Cozens-Hardy, Sir George Jessel), as well as the Attorneys-General of England (Lord Goldsmith; Baroness Scotland), Singapore (Tan Boon Teik; Chao Hick Tin) and Gambia (Hassan Bubacar Jallow). F.T. Cheng a.k.a. Cheng T'ien-Hsi was a judge of the International Court of Justice at the Hague and was Nationalist China's last ambassador to the United Kingdom.
- Many leading journalists attended UCL including three former editors of The Economist, most notably Walter Bagehot, and two editors of The Times Literary Supplement.
- Key business people include Edwin Waterhouse (founding partner of PricewaterhouseCoopers) and both of the managing directors of the Jack Wills clothing chain.
- David Gower and Christine Ohuruogu from sports are also UCL graduates.
Location and transport
- UCL is situated in the heart of London, close to the West End and all of itsattractions.
- Some of the world's most important collections, including the British Library and the British Museum, are on UCL's doorstep.
- Great transport links. Euston, King's Cross St Pancras and the Eurostar terminal are nearby.
- The undergraduate entry requirement is A*AA–ABB (depending on the degree).
- The graduate entry requirement is a first or second class honours degree, depending on the graduate degree programme chosen.
- Find out more about entry requirements at UCL online.
- 54% female and 46% male.
- About 10,000 (41%) students are from countries outside the UK.
- Applications to places ratio 8.4:1.
- An emphasis on small-group teaching with an overall staff to student ratio of 1:9.
- Achievement of first class or upper second class honours by 82% of undergraduate students (2011).
- In the vast majority of UCL's submissions to RAE 2008, at least 50% of the staff submitted were ranked at either the highest grade of 4* ('of world-leading quality') or 3* ('internationally excellent').
- High-quality research is key in undergraduate teaching – the most up-to-date research discoveries, developments and ideas are incorporated into programmes.
- Over 100 UCL undergraduate degree programmes include study abroad as an integral part of the curriculum.
Student facilities, including library and computing
- UCL's facilities include a main library and 15 specialist subject libraries.
- UCL offers a wide range of IT facilities in open-access cluster rooms and student residences.
- UCL's wireless network provides secure web and email access in many locations across the university.
- Find out about disability services at UCL online.
- UCL Union runs a full entertainments programme, a number of bars, cafe-bars and catering outlets
- Volunteering and democracy support units help students get through university life and give something back.
- UCL Bloomsbury Theatre shows leading theatrical and comedy performances and also hosts UCL Union productions.
- Facilities are provided for a wide range of sporting interests. The UCL Sports Grounds offer over 90 acres of grounds.
- The Bloomsbury Fitness Centre, located on the main campus, houses a variety of equipment and fitness classes
- 50 different sports clubs are run under the auspices of UCL Union and Somers Town Sports Centre provides indoor facilities.
Recent/prospective new builds
- Located in central London and occupying an estate which has expanded and developed over 185 years, UCL is focused on upgrading its buildings to meet the needs of higher education in the 21st century. With refurbishment of Foster Court for language study completed, the Malet Place entrance has been fully restored. The Lewis Building, on the corner of Gower Street and Gower Place, is being refurbished to provide additional student facilities including a function room, bar and café, and offices for the Students' Union. Refurbishment of the Henry Morely building will provide a new home for Management Science and Innovation. Read more about the major projects at UCL online.
- An estates masterplanning exercise is underway to ensure that UCL’s academic mission is supported through the efficient and effective use of built space, to provide coherence to the campus, and to integrate it into the local urban fabric.
- UCL is part of the EcoCampus initiative and has successfully completed the planning phase, thus achieving the Bronze Award. It rose from 98th to 48th in the People and Planet Green League for Universities (June 2010), and participates in the Higher Education Carbon Management programme of the Carbon Trust.
Availability of part-time work
- There is no shortage of varied and reasonably paid employment
- The UCL Union Job Shop acts as an agency offering temporary work both on and beyond the UCL campus.
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.