University for the Creative Arts2016 League Table Ranking 52
2016 Overall Score 657
View the 2016 league tables
- League Tables
- Fees & Finance
- Map & Crime
- Also Consider
This environmental & ethical ranking of the University is provided courtesy of the People & Planet Green League - the only comprehensive and independent green ranking of every UK university. Choosing a greener university can reduce your carbon footprint and improve your job prospects in a global low-carbon economy.
- With a heritage stretching back over 150 years, we are Europe’s second largest specialist arts university.
- Formed through the merger of The Surrey Institute of Art & Design and the Kent Institute of Art & Design, we have campuses in Farnham, Epsom, Canterbury and Rochester.We were awarded full university status by the Privy Council in 2008.
- Dame Zandra Rhodes was installed as our first Chancellor in 2010.
- We were recognised by Which? University as one of the six best creative universities in the UK.
- In 2015 we will move into the performing arts for the first time in collaboration with Farnham Maltings.
Location and Transport
- Our four campuses in Farnham, Epsom, Rochester and Canterbury are located within easy reach of London and the South East via road and rail.
- Additional courses run at Hampton Court Palace’s Royal School of Needlework and Maidstone TV Studios.
- BA (Hons) Architecture – 320 UCAS points
- BA (Hons) Film Production – 280 UCAS points
- BA (Hons) 4 Year courses (Year 0 entry) – 160 UCAS points
- All other BA (Hons) courses – 220 UCAS points
A-Level and GCSE Requirements
- It is our policy to admit students who are able to demonstrate the potential to benefit from and the ability to successfully complete their chosen course of study. When considering an applicant, account is taken of academic, personal and other relevant criteria.
- Details of course entry criteria may be found on the course pages of the university website and additionally for undergraduate courses, on the UCAS website.
- All applicants are required to meet the appropriate level of English language for their chosen course of study. For students whose first language is not English the threshold level of English will be determined by the current regulations of the UK Visas and Immigration as well as by course requirements. These requirements will be published on the university website.
The 5,080 students enrolled in the academic year 2013/14 comprise:
|Level of study|
|Mode of study|
- We offer a pre-degree courses in Art and Design across all four campuses.
- Year-0 option on a number of our degree courses including fashion, illustration, film production and photography.
- Our Internal Progression Scheme for those moving from pre-degree to undergraduate within UCA includes up to £1,000 in bursaries.
- We offer a study abroad option as a full accredited part of our degree courses.
- We have links with over 80 partner institutions across Europe and further afield including Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Korea and the USA.
- A variety of our courses are professionally accredited, including Journalism (BJTC), Film Production (BKSTS) and Architecture (ARB/RIBA).
- Our academic staff, sessional lecturers, and technicians are recruited with wide ranging professional experience in their fields.
- Academics continue to practice in their fields, ensuring up to date industry knowledge.
- Internationally recognised for creative arts research practice with particular strengths in Fine Art and Photography.
- We are home to The Anglo-Japanese Textiles Research Centre, The Crafts Study Centre, and The Centre for Sustainable Design, with our students given complete access to the full range of archives.
- 63% of REF submissions regarded as world-leading, with 93% recognised for its quality internationally.
- We specialise in subjects across the creative arts, with courses covering fashion, film, photography and animation being particularly well recognised both nationally and internationally.
- World-class academic facilities across all courses include film and television studios, 3D printing and laser cutting, digital and analogue photography suites, traditional crafts facilities and a bronze foundry.
- Student amenities include onsite art-shops, galleries, bars, cafés and libraries.
- Free Wi-Fi available across all four campuses.
- Our Disability and Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) Team offer advice and coordinate support in for students with disabilities and specific learning differences.
- Specific support is available for a number of diagnosed conditions including dyslexia, dyspraxia, Asperger’s Syndrome, mental health difficulties, mobility difficulties, visual impairment, and deafness or hard of hearing.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01252892738 for further information.
- The Students’ Union operates across all four campuses and offers support in many aspects of academic and social life, with a wide range of clubs, societies, and special events organised throughout the year.
- Students’ Union activities include Freshers’ events, comedy nights, club nights, pool competitions, karaoke, quizzes and sports challenges.
- Clubs and societies cover a wide range of creative, sporting, cultural and religious activities.
- Each campus is situated within close proximity to sports and leisure facilities.
- Extracurricular sports clubs are organised through the Students’ Union, with teams including football (11 and 5 a-side), netball, basketball, table tennis and a BUCS league rugby union team.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- Recent campus improvements include a £1.2 million revamp of UCA Farnham’s Elaine Thomas Library and the new Linear Gallery space.
- Proposed improvements include wide-ranging renovation at UCA’s Rochester campus.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Campus’ in-town locations offer excellent access to part-time work with local businesses.
- Our Careers Team proactively update their website with the latest part-time roles, internships and placements opportunities.
- 89% of our students are in employment within six months of graduating.
- Workshops and presentations on professional development.
- One-to-one confidential guidance service at every UCA campus.
- Dedicated careers library at every University Library.
- Up-to-date careers information, graduate vacancies, residencies, competitions and events on our website.
- Practical business advice and guidance to support new creative enterprises.
- On-going support to graduates for up to three years.
- Arnold Schwartzman OBE RDI – Oscar-winning filmmaker and designer
- Tracey Emin RA – Artist
- Gareth Edwards – Hollywood film director
- Karen Millen OBE – Fashion designer
- Dame Zandra Rhodes CBE RDI – Fashion designer
- Stephen Webster MBE – Jewellery designer
- Dominic Mitchell – BAFTA-winning television writer
- PJ Ligouri- YouTube star
- Hong Khaou – BAFTA-nominated film director
- Marcus Armitage – BAFTA-nominated animator
- Daniel Greaves – Oscar-winning animator
For further information
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.