The University of York2014 League Table Ranking 12
2014 Overall Score 826
View the 2014 league tables
Pre-arrival and orientation
- The University runs pre-arrival online question and answer sessions for offer holding students.
- A free orientation programme of talks and events aimed at helping all new international students acquire an understanding of University life, UK study skills and British culture is provided.
- Orientation allows the opportunity to meet existing international and UK students and to make friends with other new international students.
- The programme includes presentations, social activities, tours of the campus and city and the chance to meet with bank representatives and other relevant organisations.
- On selected days, when the majority of international students are expected to arrive, there will be university helpers to assist you to campus from Manchester and Leeds Bradford airports and York Railway Station. Free coaches will be provided but you must book a place in advance of your arrival.
- Overseas students are guaranteed University accommodation for the duration of their course.
- The majority of accommodation is located on campus or within walking distance and there is a choice of fully furnished and centrally heated rooms.
- All University accommodation has internet and high speed network connections.
- The University mixes all students and nationalities within the college system.
- En suite, family and single sex accommodation is available.
English language requirement
- English language requirements vary depending on the course.
- We offer a range of intensive preparation courses, allowing students to choose whether to study for six months, three months, two months or one month before starting their academic programme. Options include:
- York Academic Preparation Programme (six months, April–October): comprising general proficiency, orientation to British culture, academic language skills and (optionally) preparation for the IELTS examination.
- York International Summer School (one month, July): comprising general proficiency at a variety of levels.
- IELTS for University Entry (ten weeks, July–September): intensive preparation for sitting the IELTS examination.
- English for Academic and Research Purposes (one, two or three months, starting July, August or September): comprising intensive preparation for academic study in English.
- Advanced Language and Study Skills (one month, September): combining advanced language development and academic skills.
- Progression on to academic studies will depend on successful completion of the course.
- We encourage all applications for pre-sessional courses to be made before April due to high demand for places.
- A range of courses is available to help you improve your English and develop the skills needed for successful study throughout your studies. Some courses are available free to EU and international students.
Scholarships and bursaries
- Postgraduates and undergraduates studying any subject full-time who pay tuition fees at the overseas rate can apply for a Scholarship for Overseas Students.
- One-third or one-sixth overseas tuition fee discount applies.
- The competitive scholarship is based on academic merit and financial need.
- The application deadline is normally 30April.
- You must hold an offer for academic study to apply.
International Student Breakdown
Further information for international undergraduate degree students
- Tel: +44 1904 323534
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: www.york.ac.uk/study/international/
Why study at the University of York
We are a world-class university
- Ranked eight out of 120 UK universities for research excellence (most recent external research assessment).
- Attracting students and staff of the highest caliber from around the world to make a truly global community.
- Ranked in the top 100 in the International Students Index (QS World University Rankings, 2012–13).
Commitment to student support
- Fully integrated student support network, including advice on improving your skills for employment.
- College system fosters sense of community and provides ideal environment to make lasting friendships.
- Free English language support.
- Scholarships for overseas students.
A great place to study and live
- Located in a beautiful parkland campus.
- Guaranteed University accommodation for international students.
- Close to the centre of the historic city of York and less than two hours from London.
- York was recently ranked the UK’s fourth safest city (How Safe is your City?), in the Complete University Guide.
- No overseas campus.
Student organisations for international students
- The International Student Association (ISA) represents the interests of international students at the University.
- ISA gives advice and support to students on a range of issues, plans social events to help students learn about different cultures and arranges visits to places of interest around the UK and Europe.
- The University also operates a number of cultural/national societies.
Advice for International Students
- General Advice
- British University History, Culture & the Weather
- Applying to a British University
- Entry and Employment Regulations
- English Language Tests and Requirements
- Managing Your Money
- Student Jobs
- Student Accommodation
International Students in the UK
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.