- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Aberdeen was founded in 1495; five Nobel Laureates are associated with the university, and 75% of its research was recently classed as internationally excellent (REF 2014). Aberdeen is a cosmopolitan city, with first-class sport and leisure facilities, a vibrant nightlife, miles of sandy beaches, and easy access to nearby hills and countryside.
UCAS Code: A20
League Table Scores
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the university.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the university.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the university.Read more
The average staffing levels at the university.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the university.Read more
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
This institution did not take part in the TEF. Participation is voluntary. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 72%
- Postgraduate 28%
Mode of study
- Full Time 87%
- Part Time 13%
Where students come from
- UK 69%
- EU 19%
- Other 12%
- Male 41%
- Female 59%
Type of Qualification:
Mode of study:
- Full time (389)
Student Services and Facilities
- The university's £57 million Sir Duncan Rice Library opened in 2012. Its eight floors house the largest of the university's modern collections – including Arts, Humanities, Sciences and Social Sciences, and historic collections of rare books, manuscripts and archives in the Special Collections Centre on the lower ground floor.
The Aberdeen University Students’ Association’s (AUSA) Student Advice Centre helps students to find part-time and vacation work.
- The Careers Service supports students and graduates to make informed choices about their future, and assists students to gain work experience and placements relevant to their studies, enhancing their employability.
- In addition to careers education, information and guidance, the service also delivers a range of co-curricular initiatives, including: career mentoring, work placements, work-based projects, the STAR (Students Taking Active Roles) Award and enterprise and entrepreneurship opportunities.
- The university's Student Counselling Service offers short-term counselling provision; in addition it can signpost students to longer-term or specialist support, as appropriate.
- The Student Advice and Support team offers impartial and confidential advice and support on a range of issues, including finance, disabilities and specific learning differences, visa and immigration matters, mental health and well-being, and more.
- The Disability Service provides advice, information and practical support to all students with a disability, impairment, medical or health condition, or specific learning difference such as dyslexia.
- Aberdeen University Students' Association (AUSA) is made up of over 150 sports clubs and societies, offering something for every student.
- Situated in the heart of the King’s College campus, the AUSA building hosts a bar, convenience store, computer cluster and food outlets. Also located in the same building is the careers service, the international team and student support.
- The University of Aberdeen is Scotland's third oldest university and the fifth oldest in the UK, founded in 1495.
- The university began with just 36 staff and students but today welcomes a student population of around 14,000.
- The University of Aberdeen has its own tartan, created for its 500th anniversary celebrations in 1992.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Nicky Campbell – journalist and broadcaster, BBC.
- Rt Hon Alistair Darling MP – former Chancellor of the Exchequer.
- Iain Glen – actor, with credits including Game of Thrones and the Resident Evil series.
- Anthony Hilton – Financial Editor, London Evening Standard.
- Dr Adrian Ivinson – Executive Director, BWH Institute for the Neurosciences, Harvard NeuroDiscovery Center.
- Richard Klein – former Controller of BBC4 and Head of Factual at ITV.
- Lord Frank Mulholland CBE – QC, Lord Advocate for Scotland.
- The Hon A Gail Prudenti – former Supreme Court Justice, New York State.
- Lady Susan Rice CBE – former Chairman and Chief Executive, Lloyds TSB Scotland plc.
- Ali Smith CBE FRSL – author.
Student Recruitment and Admissions Service, Directorate of Student Life, University Office, University of Aberdeen, Regent Walk, Aberdeen, AB24 3FX