- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Abertay is a small, modern university based in the centre of Dundee. It is an ambitious, forward-thinking institution which offers degree programmes to prepare students for jobs of the modern world. Graduates go on to work for organisations including Apple, Google, BBC, Rockstar, Microsoft, Barclays Bank, and Coca Cola, as well as the NHS and government departments.
UCAS Code: A30
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 89%
- Postgraduate 11%
Mode of study
- Full Time 90%
- Part Time 10%
Where students come from
- UK 84%
- EU 13%
- Other 3%
- Male 51%
- Female 49%
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- Abertay's recently refurbished, multi award-winning Bernard King library provides a mix of learning environments to meet a range of student needs.
- It is stocked with over 126,000 books, provides access to over 32,000 e-journals and upwards of 175,000 e-books, which can be accessed online from anywhere.
- The library is also home to several computer laboratories, quiet study areas and meeting rooms, and a café.
- Abertay's Careers Service can help students find part-time work. Additionally, many courses offer work placements and/or real-world projects, allowing students to apply and develop the skills picked up throughout their studies. It is not uncommon for work placements to be paid, or lead to paid work.
- On campus, the Abertay Student Centre regularly employ students for roles in the shop, café and bars. The Students' Association also encourage students to apply for roles within its organisation.
- Abertay's Careers Service provides advice on job hunting, working abroad, volunteering, graduate work, placements and part-time work. It offers a range of workshops, including CV writing and interview preparation.
- The Principal's Award is a short employability programme that recognises and rewards work-related skills and achievements.
- The university's degree courses also offer the chance to work and regularly network with industry, providing the opportunity for students to get themselves known to potential employers.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
- A free counselling service is offered to all students, providing an opportunity to discuss and explore issues of concern to them while at university.
- The counselling team also has a Mental Health Adviser, who can identify support needs and discuss strategies for managing student life and mental health difficulties. The adviser can offer short-term and ongoing support depending upon need, and provide information on other local health services.
- The Disabled Student Support service can advise and make provision for students with disabilities – before and during their time at Abertay.
Other services and facilities
- Abertay's Learner Development Service helps students develop their academic skills, enabling them to produce their best work. This service can be accessed before students begin their studies. Pre-sessional courses include the University Preparation Programme, run for two weeks before the start of term and designed to build confidence; and the Abertay College Transition Programme, which helps students transferring from college get up to speed on university life.
- Abertay is home to a range of fantastic facilities. Two bespoke crime scene areas – a mock bank branch and a family home – allow Forensic Sciences students to put their skills into practice. HIVE is a multipurpose laboratory for research into multimedia and virtual reality. A new Food Innovation Centre has a cutting edge food processing laboratory and specialist sensory suite. Technology-rich digital classrooms use Kramer VIA Connect software and Top Sec Synergy furniture to create a flexible, active learning environment.
- The university is proudly multifaith and its chaplaincy serves the Abertay community in a spirit of openness, friendship and mutual respect.
- Abertay supports the LGBTQ+ community. Regular social events and weekly support groups run throughout the year for students, friends and family.
- Abertay Students' Association's vision is an empowered and united student body.
- Its mission is to create an association where students can connect, belong and thrive.
- Its values are to be Brave, Curious, Fair and Equal, Open, Supported and Valued.
- Founded in 1888 as Dundee Technical Institute, it was known as an 'industrial university'.
- It was granted the full university title in 1994, becoming the University of Abertay Dundee.
- Now known as Abertay University, it was the first university in the world to offer degrees in computer games and ethical hacking.
Abertay was the first university in the world to offer degrees in computer games: two of the most popular games ever released, Grand Theft Auto and Lemmings, were created by an Abertay student.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Dave Jones – computer games developer and creator of Grand Theft Auto.
- Liam Wong – art director and photographer; former art director at Ubisoft, named in 2017 as one of Forbes '30 under 30' to watch in games design.
- Jude Ower MBE – owner and founder of Playmob.
- Sir Brian Souter – founder and chair of Stagecoach plc.
- Joe Fitzpatrick – MSP for Dundee City West.
- Stewart Hosie – MP for Dundee East.
- Andy Nicol – former Scottish international rugby player and commentator.
Abertay University, Bell Street, Dundee, DD1 1HG