- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Located on the stunning west coast of Wales, Aberystwyth University is in the top ten UK universities for student satisfaction (The Complete University Guide, 2019). Students have been coming here since 1872, drawn by the university’s reputation for transformative teaching and an exceptional student experience.
UCAS Code: A40
League Table Scores
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the university.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the university.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the university.Read more
The average staffing levels at the university.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the university.Read more
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 87%
- Postgraduate 13%
Mode of study
- Full Time 79%
- Part Time 21%
Where students come from
- UK 85%
- EU 9%
- Other 6%
- Male 43%
- Female 57%
Type of Qualification:
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
- Hugh Owen Library is open 24/7 during term time with extensive resources, quiet study areas and flexible learning spaces for group or individual projects.
- There are a wide range of library services available to students to support them through their learning, including a personalised AberCard, e-learning resources, past examination papers, study zones and more.
- The National Library of Wales, one of only five copyright libraries in Britain, is situated next to the campus, giving free access to over six million books, manuscripts, maps and more.
- The Careers Service provides a comprehensive database of part-time work in the local area.
- The newly launched AberWorks scheme has proved popular with students, offering a broad range of part-time and casual work within the university.
- The AberForward programme provides work experience over the summer across university departments and functions.
- Drop-in services offer advice, information and one-to-one support with Careers Service staff. Full guidance appointments can also be booked. Workshops to enhance skills development and career choice are offered centrally by the Careers Service, as well as by visiting employers and guest speakers.
- Within academic departments, Careers Service staff deliver lectures, presentations and workshops to both undergraduates and postgraduates, and offer subject-specific guidance, advice and information.
- A comprehensive database lists local, national and international opportunities, including part-time work, short-term placements, summer opportunities, 12-month internships and full-time graduate roles.
- The AberConnections programme also highlights any volunteering opportunities that are available.
- All students receive a personal tutor to support them on academic and non-academic issues.
- The university’s Student Well-being Service provides interventions such as crisis support, health services (GPs etc.), Mental Well-being Services and more.
- For disabled students, those with long-standing health conditions or a specific learning difference (SpLD), the university's Accessibility Services can arrange a variety of support such as one-to-one sessions with study tutors and/or mentors according to student requirements.
- The service can advise on adapted accommodation, enabling technology, individual exam arrangements and the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) application process, pre- and post-entry.
Other services and facilities
- Wi-Fi access is widely available and the AberLearn Blackboard virtual learning environment provides online resources, including lecture materials, online reading lists and lecture recordings.
- The award-winning Students' Union (Best in Wales 2017, NUS Wales) is located at the heart of Penglais campus. It provides a comprehensive range of welfare, social and sporting facilities as well as the union bar and Brynamlwg Tavern.
- An entertainments team organises weekly events and there are over 100 clubs and societies, including rugby, surfing, paintball, debating, film and environmental groups, among others.
- The Advice Centre helps students with a wide range of issues.
- Aberystwyth was the first university in Wales, established in 1872.
- The first female student, L. Patrick (née Davies) enrolled in 1884.
- The university pioneered a number of academic disciplines in Wales: Welsh, Law, Drama, International Politics and Geography.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- HRH The Prince of Wales.
- Lance Batchelor – Chief Executive Officer, SAGA Group.
- Dr Catherine Bishop – Olympic medal winning rower.
- Alex Jones – presenter of BBC TV's The One Show.
- HRH Tunku Naquiyuddin ibni Tuanku Ja’afar – 11th Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan (ruler) of the Malaysian State of Negri Sembilan.
- Rt Hon Carwyn Jones – First Minister of Wales.
- Ben Thompson – Shorts Film Programmer, Tribeca Film Festival (NYC).
- Director Professor Frederick Soddy – Nobel prize-winning chemist.
- Rt Hon Baroness Kay Andrews – former Deputy Speaker of the House of Lords.
- Sharon Maguire – film director.
Aberystwyth University, Cledwyn Building, Penglais Campus, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DD