- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the University. These tables use the old UCAS tariff.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the University.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the University.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the University.Read more
The average staffing levels at the University.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the University.Read more
Aberystwyth is a medium-sized university offering a broad range of degrees. It was the first university in Wales, established in 1872. Located on the coast in central Wales, the university's campus enjoys spectacular views over the sea. The university is an integral part of the friendly town affectionately known as 'Aber', which is a vibrant and cosmopolitan cultural hub and one of the safest places to study in the UK (Complete University Guide, 2016).
- An inclusive admissions policy means that all qualifications at a certain level will count towards a student's offer, with every application considered individually.
- Contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office for further information and advice.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
This institution did not take part in the TEF. Participation is voluntary. Find out more about TEF.
- Modern e-learning technologies and resources are widely used.
Type of Qualification:
- The modular system provides flexibility and choice; many programmes allow students to defer specialising until their 2nd year, and transfer between degrees is possible at the end of the 1st and in some cases 2nd year, subject to passes in pre-requisite modules.
- Industrial placements or work experience are included in some degrees, and some offer vocational content or make a contribution towards professional qualifications.
- Modern language degrees include a year abroad in a relevant country and the Erasmus scheme and an international exchange programme provide opportunities to study abroad.
- Students at Aberystwyth are also eligible for the Year in Employment scheme, which offers an extended work placement in the UK or abroad.
- It is possible to enter directly or transfer into a 4-year Integrated Masters scheme.
Student Services and Facilities
- Library services at Aberystwyth include extensive collections and electronic resources, and provide flexible learning spaces for group and individual study. The Hugh Owen Library is open 24/7 during term time.
- Over 800 computers are available across all campuses and some halls of residences, with some areas available 24/7. Wi-Fi access is widely available.
- The AberLearn Blackboard virtual learning environment provides lecture materials, online reading lists and lecture recordings; and all word-processed work is submitted online.
- The National Library of Wales, one of only 5 copyright libraries in Britain, is situated next to the campus giving students free access to over 6 million books, manuscripts, maps and wealth of resources.
- For disabled students, those with long standing health conditions or a specific learning difference (SpLD), Accessibility Services can arrange a variety of support such as 1-to-1 sessions with study tutors and/or mentors according to the students' requirements.
- The service can advise on adapted accommodation, enabling technology and individual exam arrangements and also on the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) application process pre and post entry.
- Located at the heart of Penglais campus, the Students' Union provides a comprehensive range of welfare, social and sporting facilities. Open year round, a choice of venues offer coffee or a bite to eat between lectures or students can go to the Union bar and Brynamlwg Tavern.
- An entertainments team organises weekly events, and there are over 100 clubs and societies, including rugby, surfing, paintball, debating, film and environmental groups among others.
- The Advice Centre is run by a team of professional advisers, who help students with a wide range of issues.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The Careers Service provides comprehensive database of part-time work in the area.
- The AberWorks scheme offers a broad range of part-time and casual work within the university, while the AberForward programme provides work experience over the summer across all university departments and functions.
- A drop-in services offers advice, information and 1-to-1 support with professional Careers Service staff; full guidance appointments can also be booked. Workshops to enhance skills development and career choice are offered centrally by the Careers Service, as well as by visiting employers and guest speakers.
- Within academic departments, Careers Service staff deliver lectures, presentations and workshops to both undergraduates and postgraduates, and offer subject-specific guidance, advice and information.
- Postgraduate students are also offered a bespoke service in collaboration with the Graduate School.
- A comprehensive database lists local, national and international opportunities, including part-time work, short-term placements, summer opportunities, 12-month internships and full-time graduate roles.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 88%
- Postgraduate 12%
Mode of study
- Full Time 80%
- Part Time 20%
Where students come from
- UK 86%
- EU 8%
- Other 6%
- Male 50%
- Female 50%
- Established in 1872, Aberystwyth was the first university institution in Wales and has an international reputation for the excellence of its teaching and research.
- Aberystwyth University has pioneered a number of academic disciplines – drama, geography, international politics and Welsh were first taught to degree level at Aberystwyth.
- HRH The Prince of Wales.
- Lance Batchelor – Chief Executive Officer, SAGA Group.
- Dr Catherine Bishop – Olympic medal winning rower.
- Alex Jones – presenter of BBC TV's The One Show.
- HRH Tunku Naquiyuddin ibni Tuanku Ja’afar – 11th Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan (ruler) of the Malaysian State of Negri Sembilan.
- Rt Hon Carwyn Jones – First Minister of Wales.
- Dr Jan Pinkava – Oscar-winning film director.
- Director Professor Frederick Soddy – Nobel prize-winning chemist.
- Rt Hon Baroness Kay Andrews – former Deputy Speaker of the House of Lords.
- Sharon Maguire – film director.