- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Aberystwyth University is set in a unique seaside student town, part of the distinct Welsh culture and surrounded by beautiful scenery. Students can expect excellent teaching from research-led academic staff. Support includes English language classes and generous international scholarships.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
2,100 international students in 2017–18
- Aberystwyth University is a friendly, close-knit community where international students are welcomed and supported throughout their stay.
- A meet and greet coach service operates from Birmingham International Airport. Places can be reserved by international students who have firmly accepted the offer to study at Aberystwyth University, and who arrive on the dates specified on the university website.
- After a welcome ceremony, the university offers document check services, course enrolment support, course/module information and, as part of Freshers', a Welcome Week with social activities and departmental events to help students settle into life at the university.
- Freshers' Heroes are on campus at the beginning of term: these are current university students who help new students find their way around or answer any questions about university life.
English Language Requirements
English language requirements at Aberystwyth University vary by subject. The standard requirement is given below; please refer to the university website for details.
- Undergraduate degree programmes: an IELTS score of between 6.0 and 7.5.
- Students who do not meet the requirements can apply to one of the university's foundation, or pre-sessional English language courses.
Accommodation for International Students
- Overseas fee-paying students from outside the EU are guaranteed a place in university residences for the duration of their studies, providing their application is submitted by the published date, and that an offer of accommodation is responded to by the deadline provided.
- Please refer to the university website, accommodation section, for details.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- All international applicants are considered for the Aberystwyth International Scholarship.
- International Excellence Scholarships are also offered at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Additional funding is available for postgraduate students.
- The International Office runs a social programme throughout the academic year. Students can choose from a series of trips each semester exploring the stunning Welsh countryside and visiting historic towns and cities across the UK.
- Each year students are invited to showcase their home culture during One World Week, where the diversity of nationalities found on campus are celebrated. Highlights include the World Fair, the One World Week gala, and Malaysia night.
- The university also runs English language and academic writing classes to support international students throughout their academic course.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.