- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Campus and Crime Map
- All first year students are guaranteed a place in university accommodation.
- We offer a wide choice of nearly 4,000 bedrooms, catered and self-catered, mainly on-campus and with some in town and on seafront.
- Our brand new high quality residence offers 1000 new student rooms, all en suite and includes 100 studios, all larger than any previously offered by the university.
- Residential provision comes complete with central hubs with launderettes, bike storage, communal space for clubs and societies, and nearby cafes and learning and study spaces, and a new Residential Life programme. All bedrooms are supplied with internet access and are wi-fi enabled within the cost of the residence fee.
- International students (not including EU) are guaranteed a place in university accommodation for the duration of their course.
|Number of university/college beds||3,738|
|Typical annual cost of university/college accommodation*||£3,700–£4,300|
|Typical annual cost of private accommodation*||£3,000–£3,600|
Living in the City
- City Population: 16,420
- Student Population: 10,000
Aberystwyth is a small market town within Ceredigion, West Wales. The town is huddled between three hills and is focused around a seafront with two beaches, castle ruins, a pier and a harbour. The surrounding hills hold the visible remains of an Iron Age fort and a monument to Wellington. Despite the town’s geographical isolation, Aberystwyth’s large student population and many attractions for tourists provide a lively atmosphere; the town has many services and amenities and is home to more than fifty pubs.
- Aberystwyth has regular bus services running throughout the day to lots of destinations, including Cardigan, Bangor, Cardiff, Swansea and Machynlleth.
- Aberystwyth Railway Station, a 20-minute walk for the university’s Penglais campus, is on the Cambrian Line. Trains to London Euston take 5 hours.
- The Vale of Rheidol steam-operated railway also runs services to Capel Bangor and Devil’s Bridge for most of the year.
- Aberystwyth is easily accessible by road.
- National Express offers a daily link to London and Birmingham, while Megabus provides services to London and Cardiff.
Culture and Nightlife
- There is a large selection of traditional and modern pubs, bars and restaurants as well as a couple of nightclubs.
- The town’s beach front is popular with walkers, joggers, skaters, roller-bladers and bikers.
- Ceredigion Museum, Aberystwyth Castle and the ancient hill fort Pen Dinas are all interesting historical attractions.
- The Rheidol Valley stream train offers a fun day out to Devil’s Bridge and its picturesque waterfalls and bridges.
- The town has three cinemas: the Commodore cinema, a small family run cinema with a fully licensed bar; the Drwm cinema; and the Art Centre cinema, a small independent cinema which shows films and broadcasts live satellite events from around the world.
- Located just outside the town along the Llanbadarn Road, Plascrug Leisure Centreoffers a range of indoor and outdoor sports facilities including a 25-metre swimming pool and small family pool, a sports hall for most indoor sports, two squash courts, a fitness suite and gym, tennis and netball courts, and a five-a-side football pitch.
- The Aberystwyth University Sports Centre has many activities and facilities open to students and local residence including a swimming pool, sauna, large gym and free weights room, and a Box Rox indoor climbing wall.
- Aberystwyth has its own athletics, football, cricket, rugby and boxing clubs.
- The coastal setting provides opportunities for body boarding, canoeing, kite-surfing, rowing, sailing, sub-aqua sports, surfing, swimming, water polo, windsurfing and fishing.
- The town has a main high street where you can find the usual high street shops as well as many small boutique shops.
- Aberystwyth is home to several markets, including the Market Hall which is open Monday–Saturday.
Proximity to City Centre
- Aberystwyth University has three campuses, each with a well-served bus route. The main university campus is approximately a 10-minute walk from the town centre.