ACM the Academy of Contemporary Music
ACM (The Academy of Contemporary Music) has trained artists, musicians, producers, and entrepreneurs for careers in the creative industries since 1995. With new facilities and extensive connections within the creative industries, ACM offers creative programmes to develop students' maximum potential, surrounded by like-minded individuals. Degrees are validated and awarded by either Middlesex or Falmouth universities.
UCAS Code: A48
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- ACM has a Learning Resources Manager and a library based at its Guildford, Birmingham and London campuses. The library has Apple Mac computers and all essential software students need, including Logic.
- All essential course and reading materials including periodicals can be accessed via the library and online.
- Academic Skills sessions are also available as one-to-one appointments or groups seminars for all students.
- Student JobShop – students can find out about local part-time job opportunities and receive free advice on finding work to support their studies.
- A dedicated Industry Link department assists students and alumni to network with the creative industries, as well as assisting with students' professional development.
- At each site, ACM runs CV, cover letter workshops and one-to-one meetings to assist students in finding work.
- Through regular networking events, work placements, performance showcases and audition opportunities, students can showcase their knowledge and talent to creative industry executives (including representatives from labels, publishers, and management companies) and gain feedback from those at the top.
- The department also offers regular tutorial and masterclass opportunities with visiting guests and gives students access to Music Gateway – a social networking service that connects creatives directly with music industry professionals.
- ACM has information and links to all local health services at each site. This includes GP surgeries, dentists, hospitals and mental health services
- ACM is able to offer specialist vocal support with regards to health.
- ACM runs health and well-being weeks and works with the local NHS groups at each site to deliver these awareness campaigns on well-being and services available.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
- ACM's Student Support and Well-being team was awarded Outstanding Support for Student Learning Award 2017 at the Indepedent Higher Education annual awards. It offers specialist advice and guidance from basic support requests to managing and working through complex trauma.
- Support includes mentoring and, from qualified specialists, well-being coaching for mindfulness, performance anxiety and life coaching (up to six free sessions), or counselling. A triage process allocates students into the correct support for their needs.
- ACM has a Disability and Education Guidance Service that offers advice, support and guidance to students with specific learning differences or physical disabilities.
- ACM advises students about Disabled Students' Allowances funding and will ensure students in receipt of DSA for study skills and mentoring receive support, whether on site at Guildford, or via an agency in London or Birmingham.
Other services and facilities
- Student Services at ACM consists of the Accommodation, Disability and Education Guidance, Student Support and Well-being teams.
- Each site has a dedicated Student Hub for all student enquiries. This is a physical as well as online facility and offers a one-stop shop for all enquiries.
- The Student Union represents all students at ACM. Besides being a place to meet new people, relax and recharge, it's where social events and activities take place (Riverside Café in Guildford). Students have plenty to keep themselves busy, whether immersing themselves fully into the art of music or trying something completely new.
- Each year, the student body elects students to run the SU; those elected represent the academy's student population, voicing opinions, issues and suggestions on behalf of everybody studying there. The SU also works with student reps to ensure ACM is listening to students regarding academic issues and feedback.
- ACM (The Academy of Contemporary Music) has been training artists, musicians, producers and entrepreneurs for careers in the music industry for over 20 years.
- ACM has a partnership with Europe's largest independently owned recording studio, Metropolis; students can work with them through the ACM exclusive label, Metropolis Blue.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
Notable graduates include:
- Kirsten Joy – live vocalist for Clean Bandit.
- Ted Dwane – Mumford & Sons.
- Amelle Berrabah – Sugababes.
- Josh Mellody, aka Zomboy.
- Marco Giuliani, aka Last Japan.
- Dan Flint and Chris Miller – You Me at Six.
- Newton Faulkner.
- Ebony Day.
ACM the Academy of Contemporary Music, The Electric Theatre, Onslow Street, Guildford, GU1 4SZ