Anglia Ruskin University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Secure your future. Our graduate prospects are among the best in the UK – with 9 out of 10 starting their career or further study within the first six months (Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Institutions 2012–13).
- Many of our courses are recognised by industry. A large number are professionally accredited.
- Study in an inspiring place. Our lecturers are rated among the most enthusiastic and interesting in the country, and our courses among the most intellectually stimulating (National Student Survey 2014).
- Our British Council accredited Language Services Unit provides pre-sessional and in-sessional support.
- Count on outstanding support. We’ll be behind you all the way with an award-winning Student Services Team.
- Learn using multi-million pound facilities. From forensic laboratories to multimedia and recording studios; art galleries to three university libraries open to you 24 hours during term time.
- Choose what’s right for you. With five faculties and six Research Institutes, we have strengths across many different areas. Our academic excellence has been recognised by the UK’s Higher Education funding bodies, with 12 areas classed as generating 'world-leading' research. We deliver impactful research which tackles pressing issues and makes a difference to all our lives, from saving lives to conserving water (Research Excellence Framework/REF 2014).
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- For entry onto undergraduate degree programmes, IELTS 6.0 or equivalent, with nothing lower than 5.5 in any of the 4 elements (listening, speaking, reading and writing) with exceptions.
- For entry onto Masters degree programmes, IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, with nothing lower than 5.5 in any of the 4 elements (listening, speaking, reading and writing) with exceptions.
- Applicants for research degrees, IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, unless a higher IELTS score is required for study at undergraduate or postgraduate level in that subject area. Please contact us if you wish to check the required level of English for a research degree in a particular subject.
- Note that some of our courses may have higher English language proficiency requirements. For full details, including the range of English language qualifications accepted by Anglia Ruskin University and any exceptions, visit our website.
- Improving your English language – if you need to improve your level of English language to meet our entry requirements, the Anglia Ruskin University Language Services Unit offers a variety of courses to cater for different needs.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The International Merit Scholarship provides awards of either £500 or £1,000 to well-qualified students applying for any full-time Bachelors or Masters course. In some countries, we offer a laptop alternative.
- Awards are made on the basis of academic merit. Once you apply for a course at Anglia Ruskin you’ll be automatically considered for a scholarship and details of any award given will be included in your offer letter.
- International Alumni Scholarship. This scholarship of £1,000, deducted from the tuition fee, is available if you’re: a current Anglia Ruskin undergraduate student who is progressing straight to our postgraduate taught course; or a current Anglia Ruskin postgraduate student progressing straight to our postgraduate research course.
- Sports Scholarship. We offer selective sports scholarships and bursaries to students of high sporting potential enrolled on our academic programmes.
- Awards range from £500 to £1,000 per year, and are available in a variety of sports including cricket, rowing, athletics and swimming.
- The British Chevening Scholarship. We participate in this Foreign and Commonwealth Office-funded scheme and will accept up to ten Chevening Scholars per year on to full-time postgraduate degrees. All enquiries should be addressed to the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU).
- Transfer Scholarship. If you’re a student transferring from a partner institution with which we have a specific co-operation agreement, you may receive a £1,000 transfer scholarship as a reduction on your tuition fees.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- We produce a Guide for International Applicants, which contains comprehensive pre-arrival information.
- We provide an airport pick-up service, and a meet and greet service.
- We offer a free international orientation programme as well as a series of welcome activities for all new international students.
- Upon arrive immigration advice is available, including police registration.
Accommodation for International Students
- Living in university-provided accommodation can be an excellent way to meet new friends. In both Cambridge and Chelmsford the accommodation is close to the city centres and within walking distance of the train stations with their fast links to London.
- We advise you to apply for accommodation as soon as you have accepted your offer of an academic place with us. You have a very good chance of securing your first choice of accommodation, especially if you apply early.
- All of the accommodation is self-catering, but meals can be purchased from multiple on-site catering outlets, if required. These amenities are open during the day from Monday to Friday, while vending machines are accessible 24/7.
- We can also help if you have any medical requirements and we have a selection of rooms suitable for a range of disabilities, and a few rooms with provision for an adjacent live-in carer.
Organisations for International Students
- Anglia Ruskin Students' Union offers a wide range of societies, which can be course specific or aimed at a hobby or interest.
- Joining a society can help improve your social life and enables you to experience new things outside of your course.
- All students can join any society regardless of their previous experience and new members are always welcome.